eBay bidding patterns

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 16, 2010.

1. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    it also depends on the BIN and the item...if the want is high and the BIN is reasonable then sure...but alot of auctions have a BIN that some crackhead invented a # in his/her head....and starts the auction at .99 cents...so yeah...i will take the 99cent bid and see what happens.

2. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Biggest reason I like to use the BIN/Best offer listings over the auction style listings. Gives my item more time to be seen.

3. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Snipe all the way. I'm finding even getting in there with 15 seconds to go is leaving way too much time on the clock.

Win or lose though, it is such a rush! Heart racing, palms sweaty...and when you "lose" the sour grapes kick in and you can say "At least I saved some money!" haha

4. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

this is the BEST QUOTE IVE EVER seen regarding TF the movie (2). This person is a friggin genius. Way to go G1 Cindersaur for recognizing a brilliant statement.

Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    There's nothing worse than a gold-tooth sporting Gangsta robot with Sponge Bob Squarepants' voice telling humans that "he'll be puttin' a cap in dat ass."

5. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sniping's the only way, unless for some reason the auction ends at a ridiculously late hour and I don't quite care whether i win it or not.

I've definitely seen sniping backfire terribly though. Typically, I'll bid a bit more than most people would be willing to pay at the last second, just to make sure nobody doesn't top me. For instance, if an auction's at $75, and I expect it to go to the $100ish arena, I'll bid 125, just to make sure I clear the people who are putting their upper bids in the 100-110 area.

I remember one auction that was a mildly big lot (and this was quite a few years ago, back when prices for large lots hadn't skyrocketed). 2 people looked to have tried my strategy, only they took it to an extreme and ended up with something like a $2001 sale price, and it most assuredly was not a 2 grand lot. Just have to be careful

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Funny, everyone is saying they snipe here.
    I don't know where these guys jacking up my ebay watched items are comming from then! :lol 

8. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Haven't used eBay in a while other than Bing Cash back while it lasted. Not trying to catch up, just getting things from retail. On ebay I only won things that no one else wanted.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I never knew that was called sniping...I do that shit all the time. It's the only way to win.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Anyone else get paranoid about shill bidding when a war starts on an item of interest?
    Sometimes, I look at the bidding history of the seller's other items to deduct if anything fishy is going on.
    Checking which sellers the bidders are currently dealing with is a good indicator.

11. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm relatively new to ebay, I started in May. After losing stuff I thought I had locked, I quickly learned that sniping is the only way to get anything. It kind of sucks, but it usually comes down to who's the better sniper.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Once upon a time, I used to play that bidding game. I was never a sniper & it used to shit me big-time when I'd end up paying $30 more for something (in the last few seconds mind you) because some SOB tried to snipe me. -_-

These days I look for BINs only. For me atleast, those bidding/sniping battles are over.

13. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I look for "buy it nows" as much as I can. I hate getting into bidding wars, especially with bidders who have no idea how much an items worth. I have been a registered user since 2000 and I plan on taking a hiatus on Ebay. Its become ridculous I would rather deal with some of the local Transformer dealers in my area if I need something.

14. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I sell more than I buy, and last second bidding seems to be the focus of many.

On the subject of Sniping, EBay UK tried a couple of different things to stop it, but it just led to a higher number of no-sales.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Something I've noticed lately with some stuff on my Watch List (whether it's rare or not) is I'll notice an auction with a cheap price, and a Buy It Now for the same thing for a certain amount (some fair amounts, some a bit too expensive)...you'd think people doing a search for Toy X would notice both listings and immediately jump on the Buy It Now once the auction ratchets up past the listed price of the Buy It Now (and it's not like the Buy It Now seller has worse feedback or any red flags either)...yet I'll still see the auction go well past the Buy It Now's price and I'll jump on the Buy It Now and wonder what the hell people were thinking. It's not like the Buy It Now was hard to find either (not mislabeled or misspelled to throw people off the scent).

As for bidding on auctions...I never bid on anything until the final day, and preferably not until the final minute or so (I'm paranoid my computer or phonen will choose the worst time to go slowly or something freakish happen, so I try and give myself some margin for error just so I get my bid in). I always try and find an alternate Buy It Now listing so at least I have a backup option if I don't win the auction. I'm another who had no idea there was a name for "sniping" either.

16. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I am a sniper as well, I wait till the last minute to bid, good example I saw last week bidders fight for a complete Bristleback. It ended at $71---you can get this guy for less complete, the last couple of them went for $26 and $50.There was a complete one listed for $65 "buy it now", did people check the alternative listings........Nope!!!

17. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I don't snipe...but usually I'll unintentionally drive the price of an item up with what I think is a fair market type of high bid.
    The one thing I do often is bid to an even number price + shipping + 2 cents just to head off the others who may have a similar strategy. I've won a few auctions by a penny or two that way.

18. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    SNIPER here!

I usually bid insane amounts in the last 9 seconds if it's something I really want, but I haven't really bought anything serious from eBay in months due to the great deals found in the Junkion Exchange.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I snipe too. Mainly because most auctions I'm watching finish during the evening when, 3 or 4 days out of the week, I'll be at work. If I'm at home, I will more often than not just manually try and make my bid land within the final few seconds.

Tbh, I can't imagine why ANYONE would bid an an auction before the last 5 seconds. All they are doing is driving up the price for themselves later on. I understand that's not really the principle of eBay, but when you see an item bid up to a huge amount less than a day or 2 after it was listed and then it just sits there because everyone goes "oops!" until the last few seconds when it might get one more bid if it's lucky.

20. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

With a few more words before at least i saved some money.... lol