Ebay-Being overrun with jerks,etc?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyjos, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    I swear I'm getting tired of ebay.

I use it allot of times for figures etc, but selling stuff on ebay lately has become a frigging headache. In the last month or two I've had to deal with some literal jack asses.

I feel that ebay has quite literally become full of people who expect that they buy something from you,then think it can sit in their "Items Won" area for days or even a week and think they'll get it from you.

Then when you do the usual things required to file a no payment received you get them like "I'm gonna pay for it!" responses from people....

Just had an incident with a ebay noob who bought my thundercats figure lot and they got suspended one of those people who when they are angry communicate with all caps that gets really annoying. We told them the item had been relisted, that if they wanted it to bid on it and it's like sheesh...some people just don't friggin listen! -primary reason I made this thread cause it's pissed me off....

I've worked damned hard for a 100 percent feedback rating and it just feels like now you're going to get snarky jack asses who think they can get something from you and feel like they got ripped off and all because they don't look at pictures or read descriptions....

Anyone else here that sells on ebay feel this way?

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    every time I sell something on ebay, I always end up thinking to myself that I can't see how it is that people do that for fun or to make a living.

3. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    To be fair, sometimes people have shit happen. The last item I sold, I had to wait a week for payment to be sent. Ah well, still sold it. Ebay recommends waiting a week until filing non-paying bidder stuff.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    For years I used to sell on eBay for fun, and of course a little extra change for toys. Since all the policy changes in the last year, I don't think I've listed more than 10 auctions. However, I'm planning to put up 5-10 auctions soon and really not looking forward to the hassle; essentially expecting the type of crap Tyjos described.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess you should put on your listings at no less than a 48 size font:

I have not sold anything on Ebay, and haven't used them in ages, but have read the Ebay postings here and felt iffy about ever doing it again.

6. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use ebay alot but i do not sell on it. Ebay has gotten worse though dont like the cant leave negative feedback anymore. Why? makes no sense. If i am not happy with the product i got then i should be able to tell other ppl that the seller sucks if he or she doesnt want to settle it like human beings. IMO.

7. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Reason I wont use eBay is most of my sellable stock is Transformers and theres more than enough websites to discuss and sell Transfromers. If I want to sell comics I list them in CBG. Action figures take up so little space I usually just wind up keeping them. I dont have no Transformers right now to sell but just sold the Botcon 2005 box set and I got exactly what I needed from its sale right on this website.

8. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    that's a new one. from what i remember, they changed it so sellers couldn't leave negative feedback, meaning the buyer now has all the power and can screw the seller without repercussions. i have a bunch of stuff i was going to sell, but not sure if i want to deal with someone who wants to leave negative feedback when i can't do the same to explain that nothing was wrong they were just being a jerk.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I've only sold things on Ebay a couple of times. Both ended badly.

Sold my original PSP a couple years back. The auction ended in the wee hours of the night, after I'd gone to bed after checking it one last time. The high bidder was the guy who would end up winning the auction. Got up the next day and went to see how it ended. That guy won, same bid, no one else had bid after I'd gone to bed the night before.

Then I see I have a message from the auction winner, asking me to cancel his bid because he'd found a better deal from someone else. It was sent about 10 minutes or so before the auction ended. And since I was asleep in bed, there was no way I could respond to it. Can you believe that crap? Either he was extremely arrogant or extremely stupid. Anyway, went through the whole non-paying buyer hoopla, with him claiming all the way that I should've cancelled his bid like he'd requested. He wound up getting a strike on his account anyway I'm sure.

The last time I used Ebay, I sold my original 20th Anniv. Prime fig to some guy. No problems there at first. He paid the same day as the auction ended. But this guy was one of those pushy types. Apparently expected his fig right away after paying. Sent me a message only a couple days later asking where it was. I wanted to get it shipped out right away, but you guys know shit happens. Stuff kept coming up and I just couldn't make it to the post office. Hadn't been even a week though. Not to mention I had to go stay with my mom for a couple days, she was sick and needed a hand.

Anyway, I finally got it sent out on a Monday I think, a little over a week after the auction ended, and responded to the seller's more messages he'd left asking where was his package, saying it was on the way. Done deal, or so I thought. Friday of that same week, I log on to Ebay to check something else and I see I have another message from the buyer. I think 'Cool, he's letting me know he got it' when I click to read it. What I got was a message from him screaming and yelling every curse word and homosexual slur in the book at me.

The problem? In my haste to get it shipped to him, I messed up and forgot to dig the 20th Prime's instructions out my shoebox of TF instructions and include it in the package. Honest freaking mistake. He also apparently had a problem standing the fig up due to the slightly loose ankle ball joints. A common problem with the first 20th Prime fig and like that straight out of the package for me. Didn't think it was a big deal and hadn't mentioned that in my auction.

Now I'm a nice guy and all, and under normal circumstances I would've worked with him to resolve that. An envelope and a stamp would've solved the instructions thing. And suggesting the clear nail polish trick would've solved the other. But after getting that very vile message from him, I didn't bother to respond and I left my feedback and moved on. Piss on him. There's a right way and a wrong way of going about things. He went the wrong way.

10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

The whole "can't leave negative feedback for buyers" was supposed to draw in more buyers with the promise of protection, but of course it has the effect of scaring away sellers, which are just as important; some buyers take major advantage of this new policy, screwing over honest sellers and people trying to run a small side-business. I don't sell a lot, but when I do, I make absolutely sure my descriptions are lengthy and include any and all details about what I'm selling. I make sure to include disclaimers as well, like I'll ship within 48 hours, I'm not responsible for shipping delays, payment is expected in a certain time and the product is being sold "as is", just for my extra protection. Make it almost like a contract. I remember a long time ago I sold a Lego set but apparently a piece was missing, so I went on to a Lego site where you could actually buy single pieces, found it and shipped it out. The buyer was very happy. If buyers just give sellers time, a lot of problems can be cleared up. In fact, I'm also waiting for a seller to send out a game he forgot to include in a bundle I won from him; it's been a while but I'm trying to be as patient as possible.

But no matter what ebay does, good decisions or bad, there will always be idiots floating around. Remember, it IS the internet.

11. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Shit I hear you.60% of my bidders are deadbeats now that you can't leave negs.Then get stuck paying the fees while you are waiting to get a credit then if it is a large credit and want your money transfered back to your paypal it takes 30 days.

Just had a guy bid some items up to over $150.00 then told me he could pay in so many days to be patient so I wait a long time and the day he said he was going to pay closed his damn account.Then as soon as I relist it ebay jerks it down because I said I would accept best offers.

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a buyer not seller on ebay I have never understood the "sellers can't leave negative" rule. I don't sell but that rule is just stupid. If a seller encounters a problem bidder they have a right to offer up a negative based on their experience.

13. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't there an "Immediate Payment" option for sellers to use, or is that just with "Buy It Now" items only? I usually state that payment MUST be made within 3 days or the item will be re-listed. I think this is fair since if anyone can not pay for the item in 3 days, they really should not be doing any bidding anyway.

I recently got a DCUC Aquaman with 2 right arms off ebay. The seller claims he didn't know this, but I gave him positive feedback anyway (and notified him that I did) because it isn't something worth fighting about. he could be lying, or he could honestly not have known. Either way, I gave him a break.

I once sold a Macross model kit and stated in writing that I ONLY ship in the US for it. The winning bidder's shipping address was south america. I still sent him the item, but I wasn't happy that people don't read.