Minor/Repaint: Easy melee weapons that can do some real damage

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by crosscharge, Feb 27, 2011.

1. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    *Warning* The following weapons use extremely sharp edges. If you wish to use these examples please take caution, though if you bashing you are probably allready using semi-dangerous tools.

Hello Radicons, been a long while since I posted anything, but in trying to cheap out of paying ebay prices for a shadow scyther I had an idea (and probably not a new one) about making some transformers sized melee weapons (cause you can never have enough.)

I didnt even think to take some pics till I was almost done, but its easy and I'm sure you'll get the idea.

My pole based weapons all started as knitting needles.
    [​IMG]

These are great because they are stong and light weight, a dremmel will still cut right through them, and they come in many diameters. I picked up 4.5mm size thinking that with a coat of paint it would be perfect. With primer, paint, and a top coat it is still a bit loose in a 5mm hole, so the next pack I get will probably be the 5mm.

Heres where the pics would have come in handy.

Now we need some some blades to attach to our handles, and a trip to lowes solved that problem.
    [​IMG]

I bought a few random utility knife replacement blades, a breakaway boxcutter, a Linoleum blade, and a scoring blade. All fairly cheap, around $3-4 a piece, though the breakaways come in multiple sizes and counts.

All we need now is some way to connect the 2. You can glue the blade straight to the needle, but I wouldnt recommend it. I looked around in my spare parts bin for anything split evenly in half. After I located something that fit the general shape of what I needed, I took apart my connecter, lightly sanded down the inside seam JUST where the blade would be attached inside, as to make it a (mostly) seamless connection.

Your dremmel cutting blades will cut through the utility blades to make them fit the contours of your connecter piece. This will make the blades extremely hot so please heavy gloves and eye protection. I was too lazy to do this step for most of mine.

After that just take you dremmel and make a nice little hole in your connecter for you handle to go in. Paint up what you want, and glue it all together.

Another way Im guessing you could go about this with almost any hunk of plastic, is by taking your cut-off blade on your dremmel and just making a notch for the blade to slide into. Haven't experimnted with this yet, but it should work with out a hitch.

Swords are just as easy, instead of using a pole handle, just glue on a peg you cut off of some junk.
    [​IMG]

Stick them all over the place and you get some werid buster/gun sword!

[​IMG]

I didn't paint any of the blades because I like the metal look, but you could do some interesting things with the fluorescent paints.

Also for aesthetics my blades are turned backwards, but they are no less sharp, so please be careful handleing, or if you have kids, siblings, roommates, let them know, or if they piss you off alot ... don't.

Attached Files:

2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Neat idea, but sorry, i think this has nothing todo with toys. I'm Not Feeling good with it, but still cool idea.

Remove all dangerous Parts and You're Fine. Maybe you Gould wipe them over a Rock or so?

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

GUNBLADE:D 
    add a rotary handle:bay 

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    yeah use the dremel to rough up the sharp edge might work :D 
    but the looks are great man!

5. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    So un-child safe, we're in a different dimension here. I like. But yes- please play carefully.

6. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    Except that he's modding parts for his toys to have a more real look to them and since they're toys and he'll will be playing with them and presumably he's smart enough to not let kids handle these.... I don't see your point or issue.

I like them, I like the idea.

Also, I'd like to mention that Fort Max, a toy that is unmodified in my collection, has no "dangerous parts".... but I'll be damned if that's stopped it from trying to take a portion of my finger at times when I was careless enough to leave them in the wrong spot while transforming him.

7. jclauterback

jclauterback Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    none the less he is using actual blades on these weapons, and that in its self has bad idea written all over it.

8. domshen

domshen Radicon

I would have used styrene, but they are his own design, his own collection, and its fun to live dangerously, they look bad ass so I say great job! :-D

9. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    i never said the the idea isn't great, but i'm far from think it's fine to use very dangerous parts to toys. and yes it's his own collection and he could do with it what ever he want, but tfw is also visited by kids and they could have the bad idea to replicate this with daddys x-actoknife.... that is all what i think.

but yes: it turned out very well, that's true ^^

10. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that a devastator forearm turned into a razor sharp scythe?!! F**CKIN BAD ASS! I've never seen anyone arm their figures with this kind of weaponry before. I love it, but be safe :D 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can see the total awesomeness of this, but I have to agree with the others in this thread. I'd love to resource this as well, but it's got quite a bit of liability issues on it.

Thanks for sharing, though! :thumb 

12. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    To those that that can get behind an actual edge being on a "toy" thank you for your praise.

To those that can't, I fully understand your apprehension; that why I said to take care more than once, its not for everyone.

I don't get a lot of time to work on my customs, so any chance I get to knock off a few steps I take, and I'm one lazy son of b. This could very easily be transfered to styrene to make it finger safe. Heck, get a side veiw picture of any weapon you want to make, print it in 100% scale to the size you want, place it over styrene, trace, cut, paint, then follow the above instuctions and you have almost any melee weapon you want. Scale it down a bit, repeat and youve bulked up your weapon.

I have a printer that they probably dont make ink for anymore (yes its that old) but if I get a chance this weekend Ill do this and take some pics if you want it for the archives. On a side note, where do you guys get your styrene? I asked for it at a Hobby Lobby and the lady looked at me like I was crazy. For a past project I used a For Sale sign, it worked all right but I wasn't crazy about it.

And for Limewire, to link it to an actuall custom, here the scythe is with an 'as finshed as its probablly gonna get' SS. I just really loved the angles of this blade with that of the wing extensions, and no that arm isnt
    blue, just a another quick bad pic.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    Wow that's looks very cool!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While we can put a disclaimer up on things, the concern is safety here. Making blades for Transformers weapons is a very dangerous thing, as they can just fall down off of a shelf or a number of other such things (like damaging other TFs on your display, no less!). I just see too many concerns here as a resourced tutorial.

Being cheap and not having a lot of time are excuses some of the rest of us use and are very valid, I think. Don't let those things stop you from creating good work, though. I'd much rather someone take some extra time and make some good work :) 

I'd love to see you or someone else take some styrene or plastic and just fill in the last few gaps for me to be able to resource this :) 

Anyways, I really appreciate you adding your own disclaimers to this sort of thing and taking the time to share it with us :) 

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Hm..i like the idea. Risky yes. Not for me since i have a kid at home. :S