Earthspark Season Two First 9 Episodes Plots

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by RATCHET 208, May 12, 2024.

1. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. Yes it is.

2. Ring3r

Ring3r Knows what else it can do.

Protoman has been EXTREMELY reliable in the past so I consider this news, not rumor. Looking at viewer-engagement numbers for the show, I'm not surprised - it was ranked low. That evidence has been posted previously....it averaged below the top 900 for popularity, with a low engagement rate overall. (Transformers: EarthSpark - Online TV Stats, Ratings, Viewership - TelevisionStats.com)

If you liked the show....that's fine, everything is subjective....but it didn't do well overall, just a fact. The production lag-time for animated shows is probably the only reason this is getting a season 2 at all...a contractual obligation. For those saying that it was just mismanagement of release schedule...if the people in charge of scheduling thought it was going to be a smash hit, they would have prioritized it. If it's your jam....that's fine.

Hopefully Transformers One is good. I liked the trailer - I don't mind the lighter tone at all - I loved Animated, and this isn't that light. If the next show is a clone-wars style TV show that explains the war after the events of Transformers One, I'd love that. I do agree with other people about them needing to hew less closely to G1 though....but not in terms of throwing out the story and characters. Optimus and Megatron, Shockwave and Starscream should always be there....but a G1-themed show that focused more on minor characters, with the big players only being in the background, would be great. It'd still feel like Transformers, but we could get focus on some original, or obscure, characters. Simon Furman did this in his comics - he turned several minor characters into major characters. I'd like to see some more of that.

• Like Like x 6
  3. xyz123

xyz123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see your point. Some one-off, standalone direct adaptations of the comics would be interesting. But what I'd prefer is that the unique ideas, characters, and mythos of the marvel comics be more organically into a fresh, new show as opposed to a copy-paste from comics to the silver screen. There's so much untapped potential with characters like Jhiaxus and Straxus (lots of 'xus-es' eh) to become bigger players in TF storytelling, and that can only happen if they're allowed to break free of their Marvel comics cocoon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the thing I think the people who're all "Transformers need to take some creative risks again!" have to take into account: what if the gamble doesn't work and you flush a ton of money down the toilet in the attempt?

A horror story starring Ravage slowly picking off a dwindling group of human survivors could work, a political thriller involving some government agent trying to flush out some sort of infiltrator only to stumble upon the Pretenders slowly working their way up the ranks of the government could work, a zany adventure involving the Battlechargers going on a wacky Animal House-style adventure while being unknowingly pursued by law enforcement, Autobots and Decepticons could work... but they'd really need to be small scale with an equally small toyline to boot. I just don't know if Hasbro has that kind of creative energy or will.

Could Hasbro even make a direct-to-video feature completely in-house anymore?

No, you can't be serious. I cannot believe that. You have to be exaggerating. If there are fans, there'll be someone willing to put it online.

Right?

Using an example of the DC stuff (e.g. Doom That Came To Gotham, Death And Return Of Superman), I do think that having direct one-off direct-to-video products might be a good idea. At least as a place to experiment, like to see if you could have a Transformers mini-series or film that could stand without direct involvement of the big names of Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Soundwave, Starscream and Grimlock.

I do agree that there's so much untapped potential, not just with the likes of Jhiaxus or Straxus, but even with those old toy bios. Like, if we use the idea of having a bunch of smaller self-contained stories (or a bunch of self-contained stories with an underlying theme or arc), you might have a short 6 episode 30 minute mini-series about, say, the Technobots. Play up how Lightspeed really wants to be a space explorer but understands he has a job to do, how Afterburner is aggressive and belligerent but trying to reign it in, how Scattershot and Nosecone are trying to help Strafe with his nerves so he won't burn through his ammo so quickly...

Like, I think part of the reason I personally so like the Combaticons was because in their highlight episodes in the Sunbow cartoon a lot of their bio details were actually worked into their characterisations. Like, Blast-Off being kind of snobby, Brawl being eager to fight, Vortex being a bit unhinged and Onslaught being the brains but also kind of aloof (e.g. in Revenge of Bruticus he seemed to have thought of harnessing the Space Bridge to hurl Earth into the sun completely on his own without consulting the others, but they still trusted he had a plan), and of course who could forget Swindle? In comparison, I don't think with the other combiner teams we had quite as much of that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    Yes!!! I never really viewed it as an ongoing thing. In fact I thought season 1 was the end of it. I was pleasantly surprised it got a season 2.

Yeah people are pathetic little cowards :lol 

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  6. CrossHero

CrossHero Nothing is too weird

If one is technical, the entire Unicron Trilogy could be seen as a G1 reboot. But it just didn't redo the G1 characters with updated designs like CHUG did later, it rather reinvented some characters. While some where just weird name slaps to maybe keep the trademark alive, I find a lot of those reinterpreted G1 designs, mixed with the anime astetic the three lines had going, cool. Also the entire super robot aspect, that was more present than ever before, contributed to the entirety of the shows.

And that is something I am missing nowdays. They try to play it save by sticking to the Evergreen designs or G1 when it comes to the new shows. The last show that went truely experimental was RID2015, especially with the Cons. Going backwards, Prime had a nice blent of Animated and Live Action designs, while Animated truely embraced it's heroic styling of the characters.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    My meaning was that the shows I mentioned were shows outside of the big ones like Boruto and One Piece that had 50+ episodes without being split into seasons. They aired week after week without many or any breaks. Many anime get multiple seasons, but not many air 50+ continuous episodes. It was more prevalent in the 90s/00s, but now its more commons for long anime to be spit into cours.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think so, I believe season 2 was decided after season 1 began to air. Earthspark definitely had a strong start, at least to Paramount anyway. I really do think season 2 only exists because of Paramount's involvement.

EDIT: Yeah nevermind season 2 was approved before airing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grun Gast

I understand where you're going with the RiD2015 Cons being kind of crazy in terms of designs, but I personally found it a bit off-putting that all the 'cons had animal themes while none of the Autobots did. Like Grimlock had no "animal bits" in robot mode, unlike Bisk with his googly eyes and pincers or Thunderhoof with his antlers or Steeljaw with his tail. And it wasn't even a "'bots transform into vehicles while 'cons transform into animals" type thing like in Car Robots/ RiD2001. I'm sure there wasn't some deep meaning behind it or whatever, but...

Well, in my case I already listed out the reasons I never got into Earthspark. To recap, the artstyle didn't appeal to me, the premise of a post-war story was interesting but the idea it would revolve around "Earthborn" Transformers linked to humans didn't really seem interesting in comparison, and the toyline didn't seem all that good (in particular I felt the deluxe Megatron toy was too "dinky" for him, like because of his alt mode he ought to be larger) outside of the Tacticons and Flip-Changers, and those I liked because I felt they were suitable for my young nephews and niece. The "woke crap" (I assume this is about the whole pronouns thing?) was just something that caused me to not go back to give it another go after the first few bits didn't draw me in. Like, if you weren't already interested, would you really change your mind because they tossed in a non-binary character?

Actually, on that topic, I seem to recall there was some brouhaha about the Japanese dub? Like I've mentioned in the past, I wasn't really interested in Earthspark and so adopted a "live and let live" approach, but this also means that when something like that came up I didn't really care enough to dig into it.

Could I ask? What was it that you think gave the impression Paramount felt Earthspark had a strong start?

Not to beat a dead Battle Unicorn, but since I'm not interested in the series and so didn't follow it, was there something in particular you thought made Paramount go, "Yes, this series has legs! Let's give it a second season!"? Like some big "Hell Yeah!" moment or a series of smaller "Aww, yeah!" moments sprinkled throughout the first few episodes?

As a comparison, I remember being sucked into Beast Wars in those first few episodes alongside my brothers and sisters as soon as the Maximals and Predacons went "Maximise!" and "Terrorise!", but what really got us going when Waspinator referred to himself as Shrapnel, and then of course you had the episode "Possession"...

• Like Like x 2
  10. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you wrote:
    The implication is in your wording is pretty unambiguous that you believe the statement made about the cancellation to be a lie. Rather than believe you don’t know the English language well enough to figure that out, I’ve giving your intelligence the benefit of the doubt and assuming you knew that anyone above a Grade 1 level education level would read that implication in what you said. By all means though if I’m wrong and you just were ignorant to how this would be read, let me know! Right now this just reads like:
    * you made a bold statement
    * you then read posts after yours more clearly indicated your bold statement wasn’t founded
    * you’re now saying that bold statement isn’t what you said or meant =)

11. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Everything you just said was wrong.

This seems to be happening a lot more. People read a post and interpret it the wrong way.

Every post of mine before that I've made clear I'm waiting for official confirmation.

12. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh huh, sure. Sounds good bro. =)

I won’t derail this thread any further on this side topic!

looking forward to finding out about the new show!

13. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    That’s better than my idea lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    Sure, but you are describing legitimate things for not liking it, totally cool.

I think the show was a tale of two cities. I thought the TF centric and the adult human, episodes were really good, but the kid focus ones were just boring in my opinion. Not bad, just not engaging. Although, to be fair, I'm not a kid (far from it) so that may be a case of me struggling to relate to those characters.

Ultimately I appreciated that Earthspark showed complexities of allies, friends, enemies, and people to a younger audience. Kids now a days seem much smarter and worldly than the days of G1, and I think this show tries to reflect that. I'm grateful for that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DUDE...rescue bots is up there with animated for me.

Id go so far as to say Rescue bots are Hasbros most recent SUCCESSFUL new line. It had a show to drive toys, that was really good for kids, and the toys were just like the toon..me and my kids had JUST as much fun with rescue bots as I did in 82-85 with TFs and Joe

• Like Like x 8
  16. captain N

captain N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If hasbro needs time to make a new series. Then they can do what they did in 2001. How they made car robots in to 01 RID. They can make BW2 & NEO in to a new TF Series.

17. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favorite things from this show were Soundwave fighting the Autobots and that Skywarp and Novastorm fight. I'd love if they killed off the Maltos, especially the dad. The mom is the only one I find tolerable.

18. Grun Gast

I think that bit you bring up about struggling to relate to the kids might be related to why Earthspark might get the plug pulled. If they're supposed to be the heart of the show, and they don't resonate with people, why bother watching?

For me, it's basically the big reason I stopped watching the Michael Bay films and the live action films in general: I just didn't care about the humans and yet we had to spend so much time with them. In comparison, I quite liked the humans we saw in the Bumblebee film, and so didn't mind spending so much of the runtime with them, the same way I quite like Jack, Miko and Raf from Prime and so didn't mind them around... most of the time.

My only regret about Rescue Bots is that it was too early for my nephews and nieces. Heck, I didn't even know I was going to have nephews or nieces, otherwise I would've stockpiled a bunch of those toys in preparation. When I learned I was going to have a niece, I went around picking up various My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic stuff in preparation, and it paid off because I had several years' worth of gifts standing by. Good luck finding Rescue Bots stuff on shelve nowadays.

• Like Like x 4
  19. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't get a notification for this for some reason, but anyway, Paramount claimed the initial drop did well Paramount Press Express | PARAMOUNT+ ANNOUNCES SECOND SEASON OF “TRANSFORMERS: EARTHSPARK”

But really, it turns out season 2 was approved prior to season 1 airing (per Hasbro investor meeting in 2022), the formal announcement is just a public announcement of it. As to why Paramount did that I do not know. (Viacom partly owns the show alongside Hasbro, suggesting.......something).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bunbun mcCarrots

Bunbun mcCarrots Active Member

It’s really too bad how many people are criticizing this shows lack of cool plot lines who also didn’t watch long enough to get there. I’m right with people saying the show had its filler episodes (who wants to watch transformers take care of a cow??) but towards the end it actually picked up and Mandroids final form is pretty terrifying. His whole slow downward spiral is actually pretty sick. Again, a lot of the criticisms are fair, I just wish people would argue against the real thing. Fighting a straw man doesn’t really get you anywhere

but YES, the human characters suuuuuuuuuuuucked. I absolutely do not want to watch the Maltos learn about sibling friendship. Nothing against siblings! I just really hate these kids

• Like Like x 3