Earthrise Voyager Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    It's a pleasure to try and help. :thumb 

Between the stock standard Siege and Earthrise toys I think they're equally matched.

Both are the same gray colour, which is a very good-looking gray plastic. Both have battle damage on the legs. Earthrise doesn't have damage on the chest, but the wear on his tank mode is more prominent.

Both have good-looking tank modes (although you said alt-mode is less important than robot mode) Siege having a better tank barrel weapon, but Earthrise having a more solid Earth-mode tank form.

I like both head sculpts very much, Earthrise being more in the style of G1 animation while Siege is generally a great Megatron head overall but not specifically inspired by any G1 depiction.

That's why I give the edge to the Netflix version, the colour scheme has just that little bit more "oomph" over the regular releases.
    Being a store exclusive is a mark against the Netflix version, but if it's available to you then that negative point is cancelled out.

I hope this helps, and doesn't make it more confusing for you! :confused: 

~L~

• Like Like x 3
  2. Caveneau

Caveneau Well-Known Member

No it's great thanks. I have lead on a local sale of a brand new Siege version for $40 but I'm will to spend more for the Netflix version but I still can't decide.

So, between the differences of 1)head sculpt 2)colouring 3) alt mode accuracy 4) bot mode accuracy 5)weapon accessory accuracy 4) I don't care about the Lionizer and Pinpointer.

I cannot decide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

That’s a phenomenal looking Megatron head! Your modifications completely solve all of the issues I have with the original sculpt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caveneau

If the head sculpt was different, would more people prefer the Earthrise version? Just curious as I'm mulling over buying my first Megatron. I can get a better deal on a Siege version but I'm still able to get a Netflix version, but I just can't make up my mind. Trying to put aside how AWESOME the Netflix Megatron paintjob is, I'm still trying to think if I'd still be happy with a Siege version being closer to the original cartoon?... and/or how much does the head sculpt bother me (which it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some people) and of course, can I live without a version that has that amazing paint job, so very similar to the original toy( I could alway buy a used G1 later, I reckon). I'd like to decide by the end of this week. Again, my ADHD kicking in. Woe is me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    In terms of accuracy to G1 Megatron I think Earthrise would have to be the winner.

The head sculpt is styled to look like the G1 animation model. The chest is more G1 accurate than the Siege design.
    The hands are resculpted to be more like the G1 animation. The legs have the curve of the G1 handgrip legs.

I didn't think to mention the fusion cannon before - the Siege version is different on the back side, to be more interesting in tank mode - the Earthrise cannon is styled to be the same front and back, so it's more G1 styled.

Neither has a more G1 accurate alt mode than each other. I think the Earthrise tank is more like the tank Megatron becomes in the video game Transformers Devestation, which is very G1 inspired.

I'll say this much, Earthrise Megatron is G1 accurate enough to inspire me to use one to custom make a battle damaged Megatron as seen in The Transformers The Movie. I wasn't inspired to do that with Siege Megatron (that one inspired me to make IDW miner/gladiator Megatron and Stormbringer tyrant Megatron.)

~L~

• Like Like x 5
  6. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    I agree with all of this. I can't figure out what exactly Siege Megatron's head is based off of, now that I see Earthrise's noggin. I almost feel like if you put either on the ends of a spectrum scale, the actual cartoon model would be dead square in the middle. But ER tips the scale more in it's favor if that's what you are going for. I can look at him and hear Welker's rasp in my head. head.jpg

I look at the Siege mold now and hear the monotone droning of the current show. I like them both equally for different reasons. 20200229_130124.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Caveneau

Thanks, this info actually helps me quite a bit. I think I have just realized that I can overlook the headsculpt accuracy if overall, the general 'look' of bot mode is more cartoon accurate because that's really what I'm trying to use to make my decision. I don't mind living with 'cons' as long as the 'pros' win out, in my mind, for what I want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Caveneau

And this helps as well. I think I will go for the Earthrise version. Also, while I'm not a fan of Megatron as a tank, at least the Earthrise alt mode looks more realistic as a tank.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

I got both the Siege and Earthrise Megatrons. Love both of them for what they are and they each both have their own unique appeal points to me. Combine them with Generations Selects Super Megatron and you can chart the history of Megatron as a character from his beginnings on Cybertron to the far future when Star Giant resurrected him after he was killed in the Japanese continuity as Galvatron.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone have any tips for popping Megatron's head off? I know it's just a ball joint, but that back of Megatron's head makes things tough to maneuver.

11. Bips

Bips Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've had all the megatrons, ER, Siege, Netflix and 35th anniversary. While I've sold some of them off, it's always been a hard decision to decide on the 'best' version of WFC Meggy.

That's why I've mixed and matched them. I've removed the battle damage gunk from the siege head and thrown it on ER body.

I'm also going to drill very slightly into the ER cannon to allow the siege sword to properly connect to it (the cannon isn't deep enough to hold the full hilt of the sword).

The last thing would be modifying the ER spear, ideally I want to separate the parts and allow the tank barrel part to sit at a comfortable height on megatrons back for the g1 look. Then he also has the dagger part.

Both of these weapon mods will allow megs to choose between 2 tank barrels.

Best of both worlds

• Like Like x 3
  12. Caveneau

I still can't decide which version I want

13. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Perhaps these can persuade you...
    20210111_142353.jpg 20210111_142620.jpg 20210111_142629.jpg 20210105_084821.jpg 20210105_085002.jpg

To add context, I feel way more comfortable fiddling with ER Megatron over, say the beautifully painted Netflix Siege Megatron. The original Siege Megatron is good to fiddle with too, but things like the energon mace are tighter to fit in hand, and his limp wrist ruin the effectiveness of it. His neck mechanism doesn't lock like ER's. Both feel equally sturdy otherwise. I do prefer Siege's torso proportions over ER's.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  14. Caveneau

Thanks for the photos. I think now if I had to choose, I would choose the ER Megatron only because of my exposure to the 1984 cartoon as a kid. I do like the chrome colour on the Netflix but I like the flat grey of the ER version may closer resemble the colouring of the classic series

• Like Like x 1
  15. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I got the G2 Megatron figure as my consolation prize for a store ordering SNAFU. I couldn't bear to touch this thing for over a month because of my disappointment, but now that I have I feel like that sense of dread was justified.

As my first Megatron since the CW version I can't be more disappointed in a figure than I would have if I had actually paid for it. The folding hinges for the tank front actively resist going into tank mode (and from what I understand this is a "fix" from the Siege version) and the shield gap filler piece doesn't stay in place anywhere (not in tank mode, not on the spear). Finally, because a bad review isn't complete without some kind of QC issue, his right arm slides off the mushroom peg slot at the drop of a hat. That's right-- Hasbro somehow screwed up a mushroom socket.

The only positive thing I can say about it is I now have an animation-accurate Megatron arm cannon.

Well, two, I suppose-- Predaking has a nice permanent lime green sword.

16. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

Got this guy and ER Optimus Prime just to finally have a nice G1 Optimus and Megatron combo (had the deluxe class two-pack years ago). He looks great with prime in person IMO, yet looks short in pictures.
    There's a decent fan mode for his backpack if you don't mind the extra width.
    0126211033-1.jpg
    I think it looks better than plugging the spear/cannon on the back of the closed treads, at least.
    0126210939-1.jpg
    0126210940-1.jpg
    0126210941-1.jpg
    On this copy there's a minor QC issue, his forehead molding is a bit messed up, so watch out for that. Maybe I can fix it at some point, or find an extra Siege or ER head.
    0126210946-1-1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. zalten

zalten Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    blown away by this fig. Did not think it would be much different from the Siege fig. It is and it is GREAT. I feel like Megatron came out the cartoon and is now a fig. Been waiting for a fig like this for 30 years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone received their figure with a significant yellow tinge on some of the joints? I got mine a couple weeks back from the Pulse restock, and the hips/upper leg, neck plate, and elbows are kind of this ugly off-grey color, and it looks vaguely like there's some sort of residue on it. It doesn't smell or anything, and cleaning it does nothing. I know yellowing can happen with grey plastic, but that's usually a process that takes years, isn't it?

19. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

I noticed that the other day
    I have two, from separate stores/times. Both had the same issues in the same places, but i only notice it in certain lights. Must just be a slightly off color mix at the factory

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wh1tebase

Wh1tebase Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Some of the stock photos had the same problem with the eyebrows too

images.jpeg-52.jpg

• Like Like x 2