Minor/Repaint: Earthrise Starscream

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by nonmetal, Mar 3, 2020.

1. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    IMG_9680.JPG IMG_9681.JPG IMG_9683.JPG IMG_9684.JPG IMG_9685.JPG IMG_9686.JPG IMG_9687.JPG IMG_9643.JPG IMG_9644.JPG I'm super into Starscream. Don't mind the articulation gripes that folks have had. He's a marvellous update to the G1 toy. No battle damage or excessive panel lines. He has a great alt mode which as a G1ner is important to me. I loved the realism of alt modes as a kid. The fact that now he looks like his cartoon robot mode is a glorious witchery to me.
    Been posting some minor mods on WFC Earthrise Starscream page but they belong here.

-I loved the old classics mode but man that collar was an eyesore all the time. On earthrise I removed it and added some touch up red and tangerine testors paint. It created a gap BUT a real F15 does have a gap there.
    1BLD was first to do this mod on the WFC Earthrise Starscream thread.

-Null rays on the wings is dumb. IMO. I prefer rockets so I gave him the G1 Japanese Encore 9 Starscream launchers. I discovered the null rays can fit too along the legs and look pretty all right. The rockets can store inside the legs in bot mode so they do not get lost.

-Last thing I did was add landing gear. I used 3 G1 nose cone landing gear I was lucky to have kicking around. For the rear they are permanent on his legs but ok with that. Bot modes often have wheel kibble. Being there always in jetmode ok because it is like the G1 toy. For the nosecone I wanted it to fold up so found some gundum part that I slid into a hole I made in black plastic stem. I then sliced off part of the nosecone vertebrae so it could swivel up flat against it. It can even stay in bot mode fitting perfectly between his back and nose tip.

I love this figure and am all in for Earthrise. Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 49
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Fantastic this would've been the perfect Starscream if he had these

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow....fantastic mods.... just amazing!

4. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Perfect. Simply Perfect.

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Very nice. I like the touch of adding the G1 reissue's launchers. I always like when a new toy of a character can use accessories from a previous version.

6. spencer1984

spencer1984 Well-Known Member

Nice upgrades, it's subtle but definitely improves his look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dunkle

Dunkle The Merch Mercenary

You have just made this figure just a little more better for everyone, I might consider removing that eyesore collar when I do get my grubby mitts on him

I suppose my only reason for getting him now is that they’re making all of the seekers using this mold, just like the original classics toy, lol

8. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    :lol :lol :lol 

9. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    I love giving new figures old G1 stuff too. Apeface G1 gun looks great with new bot. Thrilling 30 Springer sword/rotor for the Siege version. Sometimes G1 accessories are cheaper than upgrades. Also most new weapons have too many hollow bits or in some cases figures have totally different accessory.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    how sturdy is his chest with that small section cut out looks amazing i haven't found a ER starscream yet and from the vids i was seeing online i was thinking of doing that but wanted to know how strong the chest is with that part gone .

11. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    It seems totally fine. More worried about the clips on upper chest wearing out or those pop off wings snapping though mine have never popped off like others. One thing to note though is that he sits on collar normally in jet mode so after custom will sit on red parts which is one reason I gave him landing gear. I suppose one could give him nipple wheels like Classics too but I always thought those were dumb, not realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dunkle

Here’s a really dumb thought that could work, has anyone tried switching his arms with the Siege mold? I need to know if it might fit in vehicle mode

13. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    that may be hard its looking like the ER figures use pins more than screws at least that was the case with prime . i wanted to swap out part of the arms to make them all red but they are all pined together no screws. i cant say much for screamer coz i have not found him you but that is my observation

14. Dunkle

oh yeah, I did notice that just then, swapping it out might take a bit of effort after all

15. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    It would be nice if pins could be swapped with screws. I did it once by drilling out pin or maybe warming with solder iron but don't remember what figure..it was a long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  16. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

As a fellow Starscream lover myself, these are some GREAT additions to the figure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    He's so much G1 goodness...I mean wickedness.

18. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not at all a fan of those mods except for the "collar" removal. I might do that myself.

Can you post more bot mode pictures?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  19. a cute witch

a cute witch a witch that is cute TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tumblr:
    This looks awesome! I’m glad to see the collar can be removed without causing any real stability issues. May I ask what kind of tool you used to cut it though? Did you have to paint over the cut plastic afterwards?

20. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    I snipped the biggest portion out with sidecutters then dremelled carefully to shave close to the body then finished each side of with a fine tooth file and fine sandpapers. I was really careful not to scrape any existing paint. I touched up where the collar was cut away connecting the red on top and bottom of each side. I got color match with Testors red enamel mixed with a tiny bit of Testors tangerine enamel. Let dry overnight next to my heat pump. It dried smooth and great match.

• Like Like x 2