Earthrise Snapdragon!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by convoy84, Jul 25, 2020.

1. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The Snapdragon I pre-ordered immediately after he was revealed at Toy Fair finally came in today, thanks Target.

He's really cool, but hoo boy does he require a lot of trust. Especially in the dragon mode. There are a number of steps that feel wrong, but I just have to trust the instructions and force it.

Also he's very stiff, which is mostly nice, but makes some of the transformations a little bit difficult.

received_229941368444485.jpeg
    received_1101827423565184.jpeg

I think I got the dragon mode finally. Took a while to figure out, between the unclear instructions and bits not quite wanting to meet up. The legs-tail still kind of wants to split apart, because they're pressed so tightly against the crotch piece at that angle. But all the tabs are in the correct slots now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Side-note: love that DD config you have there, with Knok riding him, and the blast effects coming out of the back of the missile!

• Like Like x 3
  3. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks! I love rocket-murder-bird-and-friends

• Like Like x 2
  4. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Finally got mine. Feels like ages waiting.

Beast mode is a bit of a slip up in this pack, it's the usual. Not as articulated as I'd like, same old engineering. Lower jaw doesn't set right. Other modes are all aces, though.

Deco is nice. Looks great with Apeface (No I don't go into a fit of blind rage over battle damage deco you guys are nuts).

5. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not the MOST elegant solution, but using the guns as rear landing gear keeps him from resting on the painted chest in jet mode, which is always a bugbear of mine.
    IMG_20200903_231258189.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Can you give us some wide/zoomed-out shots of that config? Looks really cool with the targetmaster on top, and the blast effects! :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Delighted to! My configuration is meant to put all of the current different types of "Masters" together on one figure, counting the tapes as Micromasters.
    IMG_20200904_131100854.jpg IMG_20200904_131052060.jpg

IMG_20200904_131045558.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Fun toy, despite the dragon head looking silly. I really prefer my Horrorcon heads having 3 complete modes and not just 2.5.

Really unfortunate that Apeface's plastic and colors don't match Snapdragon's.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not sure if this was the designer's intention, but I like how, before you insert the Headmaster, the dinosaur head looks like a dinosaur skull fossil (the pink stripes detract a bit tho).

• Like Like x 1
  10. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I for the first time realized that I was doing the headmaster arms wrong in dragon mode by leaving down. Actually think I might like it better that way. I don’t get the pink eyes but the jaw transitions better in my humble opinion.

11. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Okay; you need to change your handle, 'cos after those pics, you are definitely WinnerBroadside IMHO!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I am really enjoying ER Snapdragon more than I thought I would. I am really liking the robot and jet modes but the one mode I strangely love the best is his dragon mode. I was not found of the wide hips on POTP Grimlock but they don't bother me as much on Snapdragon. The only issues I really have is having trouble getting his headmaster plugged in for lower dragon jaw mode and feeling like I'm about to break the jet canopy trying to get it open.

13. Gopherman

Gopherman Has better things to do tonite then die.

Thanks for the reply, I was able to use a small alcohol wipe and it took it off with no problem.

14. Wespy

Wespy Well-Known Member

Found a snapdragon today. Super tight figure. I thought the seekers were tight. This guy is super tight everything.

love all the modes and think it’s a great update to the OG

02FE5DCC-950C-4EF5-A1D2-E9814BF1F3C1.jpeg 4B87C3C1-D4AA-4C2B-99EC-78C50C6C9810.jpeg 02FE5DCC-950C-4EF5-A1D2-E9814BF1F3C1.jpeg 4B87C3C1-D4AA-4C2B-99EC-78C50C6C9810.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  15. Space Skeletor

Space Skeletor On umpteenth levels of outdated memes.

Snapdragon got to me earlier this week, but I gave myself a grace period to really savor the experience; explore the ins-and-outs, loosen the headmaster clip for the beast mode, and modify the elbows (took some pointers from bacems). Frankly, I really only take issue with how tight the ankle tilts are; it feels like I need to be more deliberate with the poses. Do appreciate the hinged heel bits, though. They solidify the jet and dragon modes, and tilting them out in robot mode makes standing a helluva lot more easier.
    IMG_0828.jpg

Compared to Apeface, the only thing I'll say is I wish he did have battle damage and that it was switched between them. It would be very in character of him to be sloppy-looking. Overall, they look great together and I love how streamlined Snapdragon and Apeface are now that they each don't have a massive cockpit/dragon tail or monkey arms hanging off their backs respectively.
    IMG_0829.jpg

Having them rampaging as beasts, though? That's the dream right there. Really gotta take advantage of the newly permanently-mounted blue tailfins for stability, but otherwise it's just as solid as Apeface's gorilla mode.
    IMG_0830.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  16. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I was initially planned to make a tutorial thread for the elbow, but as i don't manage to get it all the way to 90°, i end up didn't. Hopefully my pics are helpful enough. If you need other angle, do lemme know.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Space Skeletor

They were definitely a good starting point, for sure, and it certainly took me to where I was satisfied with my own effort. I think if I were to expand on it, I'd go straight to the upper arm, though that might end up sacrificing some of the overall aesthetic.

Still, thank you for the inspiration, it made a great toy into an awesome one for me.

18. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Can i see yours up close? There might be some aspect i could use.

19. Space Skeletor

Absolutely. For context, I used sanding sticks the entirety of the process with the forearms, and I kept filing away until I reached approximately the same degree of bend. With the black joint part I just snipped one side off.
    IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    I should note that I also painted them over because on one of them I filed down too much and accidentally ate through where the plastic was thinnest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Ah yes, that is pretty much the same to me. I ate through the plastic too. On both side. On my case, i just tidied up the hole and made it symmetrical on both side to make it look natural.