Earthrise Snapdragon!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by convoy84, Jul 25, 2020.

1. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

Some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.

2. evenstaves

evenstaves you maverick renegade

Just ordered three copies of this guy off Amazon, to see if I can get one with good face paint QA

Two have horrible fraying along the edges/top of the purple mouth plate
    The 3rd's mouthplate is in the best shape, but the red eye visor above, the paint doesn't appear to be covering the whole eye "piece" (one spot bottom of the eye is visibly the colour the plastic is molded in)

This is really frustrating! It's like Hasbro TR Blitzwing's face, and how I ended up going LG because I couldn't find a single copy of TR version I liked - but that option doesn't exist anymore!
    in b4 get gud at painting/matching colours - shouldn't have to "get used to" having to patch up figs right out the box

3. WereDragon EX

Are you gonna return the ones that don't meet your standards? I heard Amazon doesn't take kindly to "excessive returns", whatever the heck that means. If you need to touch up the paint on the mouthplate a bit, Xereus Purple from Citadel Paints seems like a good color match.

Paint is one of those things that seems to be quite dicey and it doesn't look like most retailers will see that as a valid reason for a return/refund, since there's nothing functionally wrong with the figure itself like missing or broken/defective parts. I've more or less taken to trying to patch up wonky paintjob QA on my own if I can do so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. evenstaves

I will say, I did return the three copies; my wife set it up so I don't know the particulars, but she said they can do a "replacement" so I said yeah, lets do that
    So they sent three MORE copies (the first 3 were shipped back either that day or day before), and the "second 3" copies were also not great
    The best one of them, had the best mouthplate I'd seen yet (solid across all edges), but the red visor was unevenly painted, with an obvious portion in the "tearduct" area on the right side just unpainted (where on the left side, it was fully painted)

So yeah, at least six copies of ER Snapdragon were in flux to & from my place, and I didn't like the face-up on lit any of them
    I really need to see bunch in-store, but prob won't find enough to compare in the same vein

5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Wow

6. WereDragon EX

Yeah, be careful about that. Amazon might get annoyed with all those returns and could penalize your account by preventing you from buying and selling on their platform if you make a habit of it. Just a heads-up. At this juncture, if I were in your shoes, I'd settle for the best painted one IMO and try to fix the rest of the paintjob on my own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ZeldaTheSwordsman

ZeldaTheSwordsman Well-Known Member

When people like you stop demanding regular retail action figures become MPs that magically make inherently problematic designs completely unproblematic and learn what "lacking articulation," "weak modes," and "poorly designed" actually mean, that's when.

I've found Snapdragon's robot mode elbow articulation to be perfectly adequate. The tailfins can sometimes bump against this chest mid-move, but not in a significant way; the joints are positioned so that the fins are overall not a problem, and the only thing stopping him from facepalming is that his elbow doesn't bend more than 90 degrees (which a fairly is normal range for a TF without double-jointed elbows). He doesn't have hand-to-elbow angling issues like Cybertron Scourge or Battle Blade Bumblebee. And unlike, say, TR Overlord, Snapdragon doesn't require you to angle his arms slightly outward if you want to move them up and down.
    Overall, he has a complete articulation package: Good outward movement of arms, bicep swivels, elbows that bend, full motion of hips, thigh swivels, knees, and even ankle tilts.
    As far as looks go, I think he looks pretty badass. And he resembles the G1 design in all ways that count, while being tidier.

Snapdragon's dino mode.. what exactly is "shit" about it? The fact that there are tailfins on the legs? The dino shoulders not being balljointed like the dino elbows are? It's a perfectly good (and wicked-looking) robot T. Rex that can be posed well in either the kangaroo posture that persisted in the '80s, or proper theropod posture. And it's a much cleaner design than the G1 toy ever was without sacrificing the resemblance. Because that's what it would take to clean it up or spice it up more than that - chucking the resemblance. And then people like you would call the figures ripoffs for that instead.

Re: Apeface. His jet mode isn't "shit". It's not as sleek as the original, no, but it's not horrible. And the compromise made on it was to let the ape mode have outward shoulder articulation. I honestly find the lack of sloped intakes less of a complaint than the lack of a hinge in the shield peg (meaning partsforming needed to open the cockpit) but I still enjoy it overall. He's also not "poorly designed". The original Apeface was poorly designed, with full redundant limb sets. In order to clean up that godawful design as best as possible (within the limits of a retail toy) while still resembling it enough to be recognizable, a lot of complex folding was necessary - as was the use of some tiny clips to hold things together in the ape and jet modes. That is what necessitated the nylon-based ivory plastic. Which for my money looks pretty good anyway.

Probably because for most of us it's a tiny rough patch that barely registers and doesn't bother us. Case in point: I didn't even notice it at all on mine until after seeing you mention this. And I don't really care about it now that I have.
    Mouthplate edges like that one are tricky to get just right with factory painting when the plate isn't a separate piece - it's a combination of the recessing and the need to prevent overspill into the optics area; the size makes it even worse. If you try to hunt for a figure that has both that and the optics minute rice perfect out of the box, you're going to be looking for a very long time. And that would be the case even if the brand was still disunified (with the additional insult of when you finally got one, 50/50 odds it would have major QC problems elsewhere). Best to either scrape off the paint on the top edge of the plate, or touch it up to completeness with matching paint and a toothpick.

• Like Like x 4
  8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, absolutely love both WFC Horrorcons. Pure late-stage G1 kitsch, chonk, and charm, but y'know, not total bricks. I don't see their weaknesses/limitations as anything that wasn't already inherent in their designs, and they've even gone and fixed some of those issues anyways, without totally reimagining these guys. That's all I ask for. I'm not gonna ask for the moon, and an MP-lite presentation. After over a decade of Classics/Generations, it still feels a small miracle that some peeps at HasTak remembered these guys at all.

• Like Like x 5
  9. decepticonaiden

decepticonaiden Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I just got Snapdragon, I’be noticed a few issues, particularly with the white back piece. It’s fine in robot mode, but in Dino mode it unpegs itself whenever I move the back legs. In jet mode, the white piece unpegs itself too, this time when I open up he cockpit. It this common? Is it normal? Or have I yet again purchased a figure with some major QC issue?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Know what I really want?

A redeco in the silver-and-black M-21 colors. Then the dragon mode would have a delightfully Mechagodzilla look to it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WereDragon EX

I know some people buy multiple copies of a figure and just swap parts in the event that there are major QC issues. I'm not saying that the person who is buying all those Snapdragons is doing this, but let's face it, he has enough copies of the figure that even if he encounters major QC issues apart from the faceplate paint (which isn't a big deal in and of itself), he can simply use parts from another copy of the figure to address said issue.

12. evenstaves

Yeah, especially w/ pandemic I gotta say, my plan was more viable back when I had multiple shops to visit - at this rate I may end up just touching up (the one copy I still have; all duplicates ultimately got returned)
    It's not the perfection I was seeking, but at this point that toothpick method is looking pretty good
    It's more that if I can "head off" any problems that can be identified right from looking at the box? Then I'd do it
    For example, Selects Black Roritchi? Opened him up, and had a big scratch right on his damn nose
    For a more limited release figure like that, plus not being able to see inside the box? Figured wasn't worth the trouble, just used a black sharpie on his nose
    In the case of a wider retail release fig like SD? Figured could spin the wheel a bit more (initially)

And pandemic limiting my ability to (visit multiple shops) for a retail figure, thought "OK, how can I compare more Snapdragons"
    Though wife put an end to the "set of three" thing pretty fast "we need that money back from Amazon damn it, quit keeping it tied up"

13. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

So I got him. I love the robot mode (even if the arms don't bend all the way), the jet mode looks awesome, and the dragon mode is charmingly stupid. I am a sucker for Transformers with dual wielded guns, and he has alot of posability.
    Cons. Again, the arms, which for a figure that was released in 2020, feels pathetic, as the arms bend farther back. Getting the mouth headmaster into dragon mode was a little obnoxious, to the point I didn't bother. The cockpit in jet mode makes me fear it will break off if I make the wrong move. And the robot mode has problems articulating because of the many wings or pieces.
    Good figure, but definitely one of the weaker figures of Earthrise, and the whole Trilogy.
    20210508_230140.jpg

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Don't even bother trying to open the cockpit. People have broken it because it tabs in so securely. You can put the Headmaster in the seat before clipping the two halves together.

Range of motion in the arms doesn't really bother me that much. He's such a beefy looking dude that he just reminds me of when bodybuilders get so buff that muscles start getting in the way of range of motion. Although they really should have just made the elbow joints so that they were largely the same diameter as the arms themselves, so you could get a full 90 degree bend or close to it, plus it would look more seamless in vehicle mode. As far as I can tell, though (without actively measuring it), they bend exactly the same range forwards and back, so not sure what you're seeing there.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    That’s an excuse if I ever heard one. Not like Snapdragon is characterized as a body builder, nor does he look like one at all. It’s a simple hinge elbow and they couldn’t get it right when plenty of toys have.

Honestly the ER Horrorcons already kind of sucked, but compared to figures that came out not even a year later, they’re downright horrible. There’s no fun on these two. Somebody tried to excuse the pathetic dragon mode by comparing it to Grimlock, but Grimlock doesn’t look like a jumbled mess of jet and robot parts in a loose dinosaur shape. Likewise Apeface is just a brick with two tiny wings and a cockpit because of the ape mode, which isn’t even a good ape mode because of the awkward and limited articulation.

Both Horrorcons also just feel really cheap and unrefined. I get the impression they were half-assed from the getgo. Compare to something like Cyclonus where it’s all so smooth and precise, Snapdragon almost feels amateurish.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Don't try to bring me into your hate parade. I've never been an "articulation queen", and I find both toys super fun. End of story.

No offense dude, but while I generally respect your insights and opinions, when you get to disliking things, you start to lean in really hard on the "how dare you like things I don't like" angle, and tend not to respect that other people might not prioritize things the same way you do to glean enjoyment from their figures.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  17. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love Snapdragon, but it does bug me that they didn't do his elbows like Huffer's, so that they unbend into a single unified shape, rather than having a smaller elbow joint between two large parts, restricting the bend and looking unfinished in jet mode.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    :lol  Well at least it's festive!

When did I ever call you an "articulation queen?" Articulation is only half my problem with Snapface, the other half is the poor design and construction quality. I mean, people are breaking these two just trying to use the intended functions. They almost feel more like POTP leftovers than WFC entries, just with a higher parts count and ankle tilts.

No offense taken, and I likewise mean no offense when I say you have a habit of tending to justify or excuse flaws or shortcomings of things you like, rather than admit them for the negatives they are. That, to me, is disingenuous and comes across as attempting to invalidate criticism and halt conversation, rather than simply being upfront and honest.

I feel like I'm generally pretty positive towards Transformers, I've been called a Hasbro shill and apologist a lot, but if something is sub-par, I'm going to say it's sub-par. I'm sorry if you dislike that. It especially bothers me when we get toys like these WFC Horrorcons who are not only a disappointment, but probably the last stab at these characters we're going to get for a while.

I think that's what really bothers me about them. It's not like the elbows are limited because they're attempting to hide themselves in the sculpt or anything, they're still obvious elbows in both modes, they're just not functional or aesthetically pleasing.

19. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Heck, yeah. Those horrorcons were awesome fun. They're big, beefty beasts that are just going to tear up Autobots.

Plus, I love they even homaged the original toys by having the Titan Masters integrate into both the robot and beast mode heads.

Please don't assume that just because someone isn't bothered by something you are that they are lying.

The elbows on Snapdragon don't bother me. He's still fun and can do some cool poses. I like how big his arms are. Apeface has a fun ape mode that can hang and do other cool ape poses. The jet mode is no big deal to me since I only care about the ape mode, and that's pretty much all he stays ins.

And when I say this, I am being both upfront and honest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    There seems to be some sort of misguided assumption here that just because I'm not bothered by the perceived issue that I'm somehow absolving the designers of their "mistake". Um, hello? I offered my share of criticisms too.

I never made the pretense of trying to convince people that the flaw was not a flaw. Simply that said flaw ultimately does not bother me in the least, or at least, not to nearly the same level that it bothers others. And offering my justifications for such is a more worthy point of discussion than simply saying "I disagree" and leaving it at that.

• Like Like x 3