Earthrise Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by heltskelt, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

Man, I really want a third party to make a kit of nothing but fillers for all of the extraneous 5mm holes on the Earthrise figures...

• Like Like x 2
  2. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, that happened to me when I transformed it initially. But, once that hood piece snaps into place, it’s secured.

The problem remains for the roof not being flush with the back of the alt-mode for me. It looks to be caused by the connector arm and the windshield. The windshield is not aligned with the connector arm. Bluestreak seems to have the same issue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’d love to see a photo of that when you have a moment!

I’m thinking of keeping ER Smokescreen & ER Bluestreak’s heads but swapping out ER Prowl’s head for his Siege one and likewise for Barricade when he comes in Netflix Wave 3 (I can see him being an ER Smokescreen repaint this time), this way all 4 will at least have different head sculpts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, so is it possible to swap the heads of the siege and Earthrise versions without any mods? Really appreciate if you confirm the above. Thanks!

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, this figure maybe the best version of Smokescreen, he’s even more fun than the MP. Kind of hope we see a Binaltech/alternators homage paint scheme on this toy F92869BF-861C-4921-AC79-FE5514A79434.jpeg 9F88A902-2327-49AF-9971-5117F0E9F42C.jpeg B13F64D2-8291-48A1-BCE4-A8C5AD8CCCE1.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  6. cynw32618

News Credits:
    I don’t own any Earthrise versions of them yet, but I have seen photos of Earthrise Prowl with his Siege head (apologies if anyone on here has taken these pics, but I didn’t see a name attached to them) so I do know it’s possible ‘somehow’
    8A67660D-1B02-4892-B1E9-0A46F2263723.jpeg D393DE90-1D63-4703-8781-8DD8CE84517D.jpeg E6A11416-8881-4FC6-AF36-9278304586B1.jpeg EE176963-F678-4EFD-A571-40188082F821.jpeg

I have heard that the neck post where the head fits on the Earthrise figures is larger than the Siege one (I can’t comment personally till I have them in hand), but that would just require minimal sanding work until the Siege head fits on.

• Like Like x 10
  7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks man! Appreciate the pictures too! And you just sold me into picking up the Prowl & Ironhide set! Earthise Prowl with Siege Prowl's head looks pretty good to me and will be my definitely G1 CHUG Prowl!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some quick photo's I took this morning before work. I used the Combiner Wars head as I don't have the siege selects Smokescreen. Inside of the head had to be shaved down a bit but it gives a nice range of motion. I prefer it to his stock head.

IMG_20200915_082242.jpg
    IMG_20200915_082200.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  9. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That does look really nice. The one thing keeping me from picking up Smokescreen is that I never liked the cartoon show head. It always looked too cartoony in toy form to me. My nostalgic associations with the toy come from my best friend bringing his to school, and that obviously had the regular Datsun brothers head.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Greeman

Greeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What tool did you use to shave it down? Never had to shave the inside of a balljoint before.

11. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you, yeah I wasn't going to pick him up, but watching some reviews won me over on him. He's a really sweet mold and I look forward to prowl and hopefully Bluestreak too, wouldn't mind a diaclone blue Bluestreak either (I'd call him Silverstreak)

Honestly, just a hobby knife and I have a triangle shaped file that happens to be the right size that I could wedge in and shave a decent sized hole. Witg trial and error it fits pretty snug and holds really well.

• Like Like x 4
  12. cynw32618

News Credits:
    That looks great thanks, I didn’t expect it to be the Combiner Wars version but that works really well! I may use the Siege Prowl head on his Earthrise version, the Siege Smokescreen head on his ER version, ER Bluestreak can keep his head & I may repaint the Siege Prowl one for ER Barricade... Look what you’ve started!

• Like Like x 1
  13. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    wow, it really is G1 accurate:lolol . that's a bummer.
    In the News thread we were pondering if it may be a licensing thing... like the car mode and paint are so close to the real racing team, perhaps adding the real #s would push into "lawyer" territory. BUT you'd think they'd at least have gone "85" instead of 80, which just feels super random. It bugs me that it's the wrong font too.
    This has been the reality since production moved to Vietnam around T30. and as materials continue to get reduced, requiring tighter tolerances, I doubt it gets better. It's sad, especially with the WFC price increases, that it's just expected every figure WILL have some QC issue. The Grapple foot peg thing is just embarrassing for Hasbro, you'd really think that'd get sorted in the pre-production phase.
    right???? that kills me. Mold looks great but the clip on wheels, which look bad on the best day, look like absolute trash here in blue with black tires.

The Cartoon-style head looks SUPER weird here because his arms and legs have the normal level of CHUG surface detailing, then his head is all SUPER FLAT, makes it look like it's from an entirely different line. I liked how Siege seemed to homage the Binaltech adaptation of the G1 look where it was more like he was wearing a racing helmet, but it also suffered from the whole Siege overdone greebling thing, with the forehead crest having a ton of unnecessary lines and detailing. Need something right in the middle, detail wise.

img576.jpg
    It also super bugs me the bottom white stripe is missing in car mode, and the position is molded in there. One of those little details that I'd have hoped Takara would have fixed back in the Henkei/United/Legends days :( 

All this griping aside, I'm super excited for him (and even more so for Bluestreak, since they nailed the deco on him.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  14. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here we go. More Datsuns than you can shake a wrench at! And for the record - short of pinned wheels - ER absolutely nails it!

EDIT: Fixed the random blurring of ER Smokey. Hadn't noticed it til now, but you still got the size comparison, I guess... :rolleyes: 

20201001_144412.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  15. artiepants

News Credits:
    guh. forget how small these new Deluxes are. :eek: 

I know the door/fender engineering are a mess, but man if the Uni mold just didn't have the stupid turtleneck plate it'd still be king for me.
    But still excited for ER.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It costs me a lot to say so, especially if I remember the effort and monney I invested to get all three japanese versions of the mold, but the original classic mold design of the "datsun brother" does not age well in comparison of the ER iteration of the character. I loved those so much at the time :/ IMG_2819-s.jpg IMG_2821-s.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  17. artiepants

News Credits:
    The turtleneck really is awful on a "why did you even do that" level. they just had to look at the originals for the engineering. It's so silly.

Between them, I'd say:
    Alt modes a wash: ER is cleaner, Henkei better deco, both good.

Upper torso and doors: Earthirse, way better.

Arms: like the look of Henkei

Gun: Earthrise (but the blue is lame)

Rocket Launchers: Henkei. (both for design and chrome, I love how those launchers integrated into the transformation and you could display them with or without)

Waist: Earthrise

Upper legs: Henkei

Lower legs: Earthrise by a mile

Heads: they both kinda suck, but I guess at least Earthrise is trying to be Smokescreen instead of Prowls head on Smokescreen's body.

• Like Like x 1
  18. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

...I didn't want this guy until I saw pics and now I'm like... shit, I gotta buy another Smokescreen. I don't even care about him as a character.

I know they won't give him to us in the Alternators colors because that isn't EIDEEFORE enough for the current design team, but man, he'd look slick as hell in a bowdlerized version of the Subaru WRC livery.

• Like Like x 2
  20. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Just got him today. Pretty good looking toy. Gonna be careful with his guns