Minor/Repaint: EARTHRISE OPTIMUS PRIME BICEPS SWAP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by POSSESSED_DIGIT, Mar 9, 2020.

1. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    ....A cautionary tale....

Finally got Earthrise Optimus Prime from HasbroPulse late last week. I had noticed earlier that ER Prime shared the same biceps design as Siege Prime. And since I had a spare Siege Prime, I thought I’d swap the gray biceps from ER with the red ones on Siege.

Unfortunately, ER Prime used head pins instead of screws to hold both the shoulders and forearms together. I usually like a bit of a challenge, but due to those damn pins, I could see this was gonna be a doozy.

The shoulders weren’t too bad. i just had to wedge them apart with a screwdriver , and the biceps pop off of a mushroom peg.

The forearms were much much worse. The inner forearm is actually a small panel, and has 2 head pins- 1 pin is for the elbow joint. The other is very close to the hinge that holds the other part of the forearm(for transformation). First I tried to wedge them apart. I immediately saw that the plastic was getting bent and stressmarks were forming all over. So I stopped that. Then I tried using my soldering iron and prying some more. That worked, but with the plastic there being so delicate and thin, I ended up warping one forearm piece from the heat, and the other had the elbow post snap off. I was able to repair both arms, but there’s some noticeable damage. It’s very minimal, but since I know about it I zoom in on it like a bullseye. And the pic augments the damage more than most would notice in-hand.

All in all I think Prime looks much better with the red biceps. But I must caution anyone who tries to attempt this. Be very careful. There’s a decent chance you may wreck the toy.
    05579F18-E5A9-47A5-952E-22DE98456A55.jpeg 4119435F-EF13-4D91-BD61-A4A6AF8922D6.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 34
  2. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

That stinks about the damage but it looks good

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Did you swap the head with the Siege? Is it easy to do?

• Like Like x 2
  4. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    I did swap heads. It’s the same head design as siege so it’s just popping the head off the ball joint and swapping

• Like Like x 3
  5. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

and now you need to do the lower legs!

• Like Like x 3
  6. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Removing flathead pins is always very risky. I've done it several times before but very picky about which ones I attempt.

That being said, the joint really shouldn't break if done properly. If the pin wasn't hot enough, that may be one reason. I've seen other people break flathead pin joints when they tried to punch the pin out and didn't use heat.

The main difference between ER and Siege head is the paint job. The Siege head had easier eyes to see as the face was painted silver around the eyes whereas the face is blue around the eyes in ER. The Siege head has more contrast as a result.

Lower leg swap will likely result in the cab not pegging onto the legs correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    the problem was the heat from the soldering iron warping the very thin and small areas of plastic around the head. I knew it would be an issue but the softer plastic type used really contributed to it warping.

As for the heads, ER Prime also has the back of the head painted in that shiny blue they used on the hands. It may be an issue if the paint wears off. Also, I personally swapped heads due to my ER face mask having a paint deformity.

8. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    i so badly want to swap but dont want to mess up the parts . you did what i was torn on doing and you made me decide on not doing it . looks good just 2 big of a risk for me . way to go you are a braver man than i . i tip my hat to you

• Like Like x 2
  9. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Sometimes ya just gotta say “Eff it” and see what happens :cool: 

10. maxxzander

maxxzander Well-Known Member

i think it will be easier to just paint those biceps red

• Like Like x 1
  11. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Depends on what you can handle. I suck at painting, and was willing to try what I did. Honestly after doing it almost 2 months ago, I don’t even notice it, since the only visible ouchie is in the inside of the elbow, and it’s small...

12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks pretty good. I can't even see what you were talking about with the damage so it must not be too bad.

Gotta' say, I hate how this guy is built - I was planning on doing some modifying to mine but he looks like he'd be a nightmare to disassemble.

13. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Pins seem to replace screws a lot more nowadays. Makes working on toys a nightmare.

as for damage, the red on red helps hide it :D 

• Like Like x 2
  14. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pins over screws in ER were stated by Hasbro at SDCC to be an experiment with the line. They're also experimenting with pinned joints for a few (very few) 2020 Marvel Legends figures. They're doing it to improve durabilty, which is a much bigger deal for ML than TFs. Problem is, on their end it'll reduce mold reuse opprotunities and on the fan end, it'll make part swapping far harder. Marvel Legends figures the past six years or so fill their line out with basic arms, legs, hands, feet and torso that they accessorize with additional parts, a new head and paint to create new characters. The "Hyperion body" (first used on Hyperion) is the same base body for 90s Sabertooth, 90s, Cable, Bishop and Beta Ray Bill. The "Kate Bishop" Body is used on most medium-heigh females since 2015.

The introduction of pins would be annoying for us, but it'd be the end of a way of doing business with ML.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

My understanding was Hasbro is going pinLESS on MLs. Currently they use plastic pins and are going to hinges that have no visible pin of any kind.

On the upside for customizers, the new He-Man figures were designed to be disassembled at most joints and can be safely disassembled at every joint with hot air/water.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Damn, wish it was easier. I want earthrise prime to look like that and would even buy both earthrise and siege prime if it was easier. Looks great.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After taking apart my Siege Ratchet in preparation for a parts swap with SG to make an ER version I really hate how Hasbro has been cheaping out and using pins for everything. Screws used to be so common.

• Like Like x 2
  18. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    And easy. But pins are easier for factory workers to install.

19. kzhe

kzhe Well-Known Member

its not the same, the earthrise has more clearance and it wil be more difficult to transform with siege head. check tfwiki

20. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    I’ll have to investigate that. But I’ve never had any issues transforming my earthrise prime