Earthrise Leader Class figures found in Target in Boise, Idaho

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Miretsbs, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

Very well said! :thumb 

Nonetheless, some flaws: $63k is median? Are you looking at entire population or just the fans? I don't expect too many doctors or lawyers to be buying these: the fandom is not full of expensive professionals!

In 1984, young fans had no expenses; in 2020, we have home repairs, car payments, kids, etc.

1980s economy is NOTHING like today's economy. Comparing them with "inflation" or "comparable dollars" values is too antiseptic: you will never be able to conduct such a simple comparison without ignoring major issues and resulting errors of assumption!

Another issue: gap between wealthy and lower incomes. In 1984, that gap wasn't so large. In 2020, you can read about the disappearing middle class; in 1984, the middle class was being established. Your median incone argument is irrelevant because you need to look at concentration of incomes, and where they lie. Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk make billions: are they part of the median calculations? The numbers have to be adjusted, and depending on where you sourced that figure, it is easily manipulated to push whatever view.

In other words, $50 may feel like a lot because it IS a lot. You should have mentioned food prices in 84! Are we paying comparable values today? What about heating, electricity, cars, etc? One thing that's NOT comparable is housing. In 1984, you could buy a house for relatively cheap. Today? :lol  In my area, you cannot find a 4 bedroom for under $500k. That's NOT 1984 values adjusted for inflation - there are a lot of factors adversely affecting disposable income today (as you mentioned).

It's a little deceptive to just say, "well, $50 for Optimus is equivalent to what you paid in 84!" :(  Don't make fellow fans feel poorer with overly simplistic (and inaccurate) statements of value!

Sorry. I appreciate your thoughtful response, even if I don't agree with your view. I can say that if enough fans can afford it, it would honestly be best for Hasbro to continue raising prices. Just like Eisner did with Disney Land/World. Unfortunately, the result will ultimately mean less sales, but more profit per sale. If that's something you guys are willing to accept, I'm not going to argue for your wallets! :)  It's your money! Pay as much as you want.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.