Minor/Repaint: Earthrise Action Master Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MagnusWave931, Mar 8, 2020.

?

What Decepticon Symbol should I put on him?

1. G1

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. G2

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. Shattered Glass

27 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Any plans for more custom Seekers? You mentioned you like G2, how about the unreleased Sandstorm?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MagnusWave931

MagnusWave931 Loving this Track right now

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh, that's a good idea, I've been wanting to do customs based on canceled G2 toys, mainly the Seekers, Mirage, and Defensor,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Most of them kept their G1 forms. Very few had their G2 designs in the Marvel comics.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArcheEltanin

ArcheEltanin Well-Known Member

Curious, how'd you disassemble the shoulders, which I presume you did for painting? Heat up the pin then pull it off with pliers or a magnet?

• Like Like x 1
  5. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So the shoulders are held on in two different spots, a hinge that allows to fold the arms up into the jet mode and a small joints connected to a mushroom peg. The hinge joint isn't removable even thought it's held in place by a normal pin, this is because there is no exit point for the pin to go through. As for the other, while it's held in via the mushroom peg joint, you have to remove the actual shoulder section in order to remove the arm. How I did it was taking a soldering iron, place the tip on the flat head pin part for about 30 seconds, bang the other non flat head side with a hammer and a sturdy piece of metal, and repeat until most of the pin was out, and removing it with a set of pliers. I hope this helps out.

6. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Dude, mad props for actually disassembling this to paint. I just painted very carefully and used tape when I did some Earthrise seekers. I couldn't be bothered to deal with that many pins. Also, really nice job with the paint!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for the kind words, to be honest, the Earthrise seeker mold is the absolute worst mold I've worked on in terms of disassembly. There's only one screw on this mold and a handful of normal pins, the rest are either hidden pins or flat head pins and it gets real tedious after awhile let me tell you. I'm actually working on another Earthrise seeker right now so this mold is still fresh in my mind, although looking back, this one didn't turn out that great. (A lot of bubbles in the paints, obvious brush stokes, chipped paints, etc.) But hey, you live and learn, and I learned a lot while working on T.C.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Well I guess Hasbro showed me...

• Like Like x 1
  9. ArcheEltanin

ArcheEltanin Well-Known Member

Thanks! I actually managed to do that...and avoid the slight clumsiness that has (cosmetically) damaged my SG Ratchet's thighs and elbows for my repaint for him into my custom ER-ish colors.
    Managed to unlock the peg, sand it a bit, and then safely reassemble it. It helps that the pin is slightly raised, compared to Ratchet's, so there was less danger of accidentally melting anything else around the pin.

Now, even if I discovered that the shoulder mushroom peg has a metal core so that it wouldn't even rip anyway, the shoulder is no longer uncomfortably tight, so now I don't outright hate the figure, just am lukewarm about it.

• Like Like x 1