Earthquake proofing your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CigarJackal, Jul 9, 2019.

1. corduroy

corduroy Well-Known Member

when that earthquake was going down i stood up and just stared at my ft dracula and mt chromedome. i was ready to throw them in a suitcase full of packing peanuts and dip.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 1mBr0k3n

1mBr0k3n -

YouTube:
    We just had an earthquake here in puget sound area of the pnw. About a 4.6. Woke me up about 3am my time. Felt the house shake a little and my dog was a little spooked. The figures are still on the shelves, although I was not concerned about that at all, I was more like "what the hell was that." kinda scary.

• Like Like x 2
  3. boomerdave

boomerdave Moderator

Funny, I just talked to my wife about this after I saw the news on that one in California. Used to live in Michigan but we moved to Missouri and then I found out there is a huge fault in this state o_O 

Fortunately for me it's way down in the far south east corner so if it really goes off, we'll get it here (so will most of the continental US) but as others said my collection will be the least of my problems then.

I'd recommend what @Snaku said and suggest the museum wax. Someone here (sorry I don't recall who) mentioned this a long way back and said he was in New Zealand and used it for everything he owned.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I’m shocked there haven’t been more pictures surface of ruined collections from the earth quake.

5. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I'm surprised I haven't seen more mentions of the stuff----AFAIK in California it's better-known as "quake wax" for this reason.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

There is nothing I can really do to quake proof my collection,short of gluing and drilling every bot to the shelves. And since I like to play with them, that's not really an option. Having said that, if a big quake happens here I'm not so confident my house is gonna resist in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  7. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

Quakes in California are not as much a concern as many out of state people seem to think. Generally anything 5 or lower won't do more than rattle the shelves and stir up some dust unless things are particularly precarious in construction or placement and since Loma Prieta the standards for buildings to stand up to an earthquake have been significantly beefed up,

As for myself, I tend to put the heavier pieces either on lower open shelves or behind glass so if anything falls, it's not the bigger heavier things. That's just a general precaution against people stomping around the house or being vaguely intoxicated idiots, but just as good when an earthquake rolls along. Really though nothing has ever fallen over from man made or nature made shaking. Except MP-28, but that's due to his hip/leg stability. floppy waist hinge and odd weight distribution.