Earthquake proofing your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CigarJackal, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I am in California, and we had a bit of a shaker here on the 4th and 5th (6.2 and 7.1 magnitude). Luckily, my guys are ok (one BadCube Insecticon and a CHUG sweep fell over but not off their shelves).

Currently I have moved most of my bots temporarily off of their shelves.

20190706_120430.jpg

How do people in earthquake zones protect their toys from taking a nose dive when things get rocking and rolling?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Don't live in California but you either need Closed glass cases or have every figure held down with putty or tack. Even then that is no sure fix.

3. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I have my figures in the closet behind doors, so no falling off their shelves problem, but in my work we keep the the "glassware" behind glass sliding doors or behind nylon threads that prevent them from falling over.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

You're best bet is sliding glass doors (not sure if necessary, really), but also make sure any shelves you have regardless are anchored/bracketed to your wall. Figures may or may not fall out (as you witnessed), but if the shelves tumble...

Anyway, live in Las Vegas and felt both those quakes from here. First one in a movie theater early the first morning, and the second on my couch the next evening. Very slight, but definitely noticed. Sounds like quite the damage out there for you guys--but with no casualties, which I'm glad to hear.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Got all my toys boxed up for when I am able to move. In an earthquake, if they fall over, they are also protected in bubble wrap. Tokyo is crazy like that.

6. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only one to fall off a shelf was LioConvoy, and he's made of sterner stuff, so no damage. Every Arcee in the house fell over but not off any shelves. Everyone else stayed upright, which was a little surprising.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO BEANiE.BABY.BiLLIONAiRE.!.!.!!!

@CigarJackal Hello fellow Californian! Yea man I'm stressing over the quakes SoCal been getting and it only a matter of time NorCal will get hit. All experts are saying we're due for a big one sooner or later. For my collection I haven't done anything yet and I know I'mma kick my own ass when it happens. A GP Dino falling on my head doesn't sound pleasant lol.

8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn. Never even considered that. Luckily quakes are pretty rare here in Sydney. Last one I can remember hit Newcastle (about 2 hours north of here) back in ‘89. Was a 5.6 and we felt it as a mild shaking of windows here in Sydney.
    All my bots are on bookcases that are bolted to the walls. They’re pretty tightly packed so a fair number would almost inevitably fall.
    Been dreaming of a big glass display cabinet for years but can’t really justify the $2k or so it would cost. Plus, cabinets made entirely of glass are potentially prone to break or crack anyways.
    For your circumstance, your best bet is probably something like the IKEA Billy bookcases, firmly bolted to the walls and either glass or maybe even acrylic doors on them. Acrylic doors would be a lot more durable and earthquake safe, not to mention a lot lighter than glass.
    If the quake is bad enough to tear bookcases from their wall-bolts, I reckon you’d have bigger worries than your Transformers collection.
    Other thing to do is make sure your contents insurance is up to date and keep email receipts and invoices of all your figure purchases. That’s assuming your home insurance covers quake damage given your location?

9. Goodriddance

Goodriddance Well-Known Member

I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand. Lost a lot of the G1 collection back in 2011 when we got our big shake, also a couple of fairly large fish tanks but I digress. I'm not really running a massive display nowadays but still have plans to. I think here these days if I were to do so it would be behind glass, and well fixed back to the wall. Just in case... I mean we haven't had a decent shake in a while now but it would suck to basically start again, again. Plus replacing a whole heap of masterpiece/3p that I didn't have back then and isn't necessarily readily replaceable would get pretty expensive!

10. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've lived in California most of my life. There isn't much you can do, really. There are different kinds of earthquakes, such as some are rolling while others can be just a harsh jolt. Some areas of the world have different kinds of fault lines as well, such as transverse and subduction plates. Glass is probably a bad idea as it can crack and shatter.

A few things do come to mind:

- Your place called home should be built on bedrock. Sadly soil or filled-in land is not where you want to be due to the way the waves pass thru and the possibility of liquefaction if you live near water.

- Insure your collection (if you can afford it). Bobby Skullface did a video discussing this.

- Don't display your stuff close to the edge of your shelves.

- Don't display expensive, or heavy, or large items on top of bookcases or high places.

- Secure your bookcases to a wall stud so that it won't come crashing down.

- Keep heavy things on the bottom shelf/close to the floor. Displays should not be top-heavy.

- Don't stack your displays, such as putting a Detolf on top of an IKEA Bespa (spelling?) or TV stand. Bad idea!

In the Bay Area 1989 earthquake of magnitude 7.1, nothing fell in my modest collection back then except for G1 Jetfire. He took a dive and landed face-down on the carpet. Found him undamaged.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Not an earthquake, but I remember as a kid, climbing the shed with a ladder with my friend to watch the airshow from the local air force base in Canada. Climbing up with one hand on the ladder and my G1 Thrust, not a problem, but more so in my mind for the way down, so I gave him a gentle toss down. Should have taken the wings off (or better yet not tossed him at all) since the wing pin broke on impact and that was my first TF casualty. The second was dropping trailbreaker on a rock int eh garaden and his die-cast legs shattered. 2 down.

Everything s3 and later was built to take so much more abuse, I find.

12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I live in an area that should not have Earthquakes, but due to mining the natural gas reserves it does. A couple per year. Mostly small ones, but sometimes a bgger one.

Fortunately, I never had big problems. At most I noticed some figures having fallen afterwards (apparently there was one recently, because some of my Star Wars SH figuarts and BS6 had fallen over), and in the past I had a TM Optimus Primal that I found laying face down on the shelf.

The precautions I have taken is to limit the figures displayed near the edge of the shelf. They're mostly displayed in such a way that should they fall, they'll remain on the shelf. This in particular for figures who can be wobbly on their feet. Figures that need a big push to fall (like FT Grimlock and the like) are closer to the edge, but in those cased I take care not to display them too high so should they fall, the drop will be very limited. And FT soar with his badly designed, weak ankles, is leaning back slightly against the wall.

Read several good suggestions above: closed displays and insurance are definitely good ideas in case it's really a threat.

13. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO BEANiE.BABY.BiLLIONAiRE.!.!.!!!

@Sportimus I'll always remember during the '89 quake,my Dad yelling @ everyone to get out the house bc he thought that was the best thing to do lol:D . I also remember seeing the telephone/light post swinging back and forth and the family car slowly backing up to us lol. Shit was crazy man especially in SF/Bay bridge and the World Series being stopped.
    RIP Pops:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I would move far away from fault lines like gtfo of that state

• Like Like x 3
  15. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I am planning to do so (not because of earthquakes, but because of the more dangerous threat of crazed politicians that we have here).

20190613_203328.jpg 20190613_201829.jpg 20190121_074802.jpg 20180315_192601.jpg

Bots move around between displays, but you can get the idea from the pics. I have little to keep these guys secure right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Bezuul

Bezuul Devout Legender

17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Museum wax

[​IMG]

Literally everywhere I have lived, they've said stuff like this. Apparently the entire planet is overdue for some shakes.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

No quakes here in central Texas but I have my bots in a steel barrister shelf set up. They have heavy doors. Plus the bots are all squeezed in on top and next to each other as close as possible so I doubt a tremor would be an issue. (I shoulder check it accidentally at least a few times a year.)

That said, if the whole thing went down, we'd have bigger problems.

Hope you CA peeps and your collections stay safe!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Glass doors and stand them on craft foam. Some of these 3p guys will snap a part just tipping over on a tabletop.

20. 86mcss

86mcss Well-Known Member

Im in bakersfield and got hit hard. The good thing was the only bot that fell over was fanstoys arcee. Everything else was good. All my bots are in an enclosed display case. As long as your display case is sturdy and your bots are in solid poses there isnt much you can do.

• Like Like x 2