Earthquake proofing your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CigarJackal, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    I am in California, and we had a bit of a shaker here on the 4th and 5th (6.2 and 7.1 magnitude). Luckily, my guys are ok, but I did move most of them temporarily off of their shelves.

20190706_120430.jpg

How do people in earthquake zones protect their toys from taking a nose dive when things get rocking and rolling?

(going to ask the same question in the 3P area too)

2. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if i was heavily invested in robots or lived in a quake zone i would just make sure my collection was insured properly.

because of the way most cases are all glassed out i dont think anything will really make them safe besides plexi and the tipping over straps up top.

if the glass ever breaks you got a domino effect going.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  3. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I lived in Seattle for years, which also has its fair share of earthquakes, I always used museum putty on the feet to secure my figures. When I moved to Las Vegas, I wasn’t expecting to have to deal with earthquakes anymore. But I still used the museum putty out of habit. We felt both earthquakes, more so the second one, and none of my figures with the putty budged an inch. So glad the habit stuck.

That and a good insurance policy specific for collectibles. Note that most homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover collectibles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I take my chances.

• Like Like x 2
  5. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I live in Northern California, and I'm not sure it's really possible to "earthquake-proof" your collection. I just keep my collection in the closet, in shelves, or on top of a nightstand.

Fortunately, we don't get many earthquakes up here. :) 

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Good topic. I currently live in Tokyo and have a substantial collection with glass cabinets and wooden shelving.

I've noticed at various Japanese stores that they offer these adjustable bracing units that are meant to go on top of cabinets to brace them against the ceiling so as to prevent the cabinets from falling over. The problem is that they're pricey (like $75 USD for a pair) and take up a good deal of space on top of said cabinets (I use mine as display space for larger figures).

I've lived in the Kanto Plain region of Japan for three years so far (I've lived in Okinawa previously for 3-1/2 years) and haven't felt much of anything tremor wise but this area is supposedly long overdue for a major quake (Fukushima/Sendai area to the north got hit in 2011, and the Kumamoto region to the southwest got hit not too long ago if memory serves me correctly).

I'll have to look into those braces and additional hooks/screws to anchor the cabinets to the wall.

Child safety wall anchors for large pieces of furniture and television sets are a good idea to prevent tip-over deaths if you have small children and/or pets, and would be helpful in the event of an earthquake too, I'd imagine.

Here's a good resource:

Anchor It: Secure Furniture and TVs, Protect Children

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those braces that they sell in Japan are very good for stabilising shelves. But your figures will still wobble over in a big one, if they are fragile you might want to put them on Blu tack.

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting the blue rack or museum putty. I have FT Phoenix and a bunch of large movieverse Leader figures perched up on said cabinets. Would hate to see them take a nose dive in a fall, quake or otherwise.

9. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

Being in Southern California, I have quake problems to worry about as well. I have my MPs and 3P on shelves that are bolted to the wall. This latest round of quakes didn’t disturb anything so I guess that and keeping them low to the ground should help some. But it a good one hits, a good will hit your collection.

10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Maybe try ticky tack putty? Someone told me it doesn't stain either. Not sure about that part.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Where I live, if we get hit by a big one, nothing is getting saved, so I don't even bother. I live right off the Mississippi river, in the 'a' zone of the new Madrid fault.

12. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    I make a fence out of monofilament line for stuff sitting on top of shelves, along the front of some shelves, and around the waste/chest area of big titan class figures.

One problem is that the walls are cement here, so securing something to the wall is a pain in the ass/not allowed if renting. If the whole shelf unit falls over ... yikes!

The Kreo stuff can just fall and I’ll clean it up. Last time only had one arm of a KO break. And a finger off my DNA Design Metroplex hands.

Fort Max does not go up there anymore! If he had toppled over the other way....
    3922A83B-FD02-4571-941D-570D8FFC6F78.jpeg
    Had the glass open, and a few things fell off the top: C600D285-94EF-4A8D-A4FD-00F40D051B36.jpeg
    This is all before I added the fencing: 645F3919-0D33-4095-A2DF-14318F9CBDB3.jpeg

13. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Whoa. That's some crazy carnage. I hadn't really considered earthquakes, but now that you mention it...