Earth doesn't really need to be relevant

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 7, 2017.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    "One hundred billion trillion planets in the cosmos. You want to know, don't you, why they keep coming here?" Anthony Hopkins, TF5

The problem in that statement is that Earth has never really needed a relevant reason to be a battlefield. It was just a matter of the Decepticons coming across another world to plunder resources, and the Autobots fighting against them to protect the lives the world carries (for friendship or for justice).

It's a situation that keeps coming up in recent TF features:
    - Unicron is the Earth in PRIME
    - all five of the Bayformer films have had some conspiracy that ties the Transformers to Earth (Megatron stored and studied, the Matrix of Leadership hidden, Apollo and the Ark, Quintessons annihilating dinosaurs, a medieval era Transformer)
    - TFA redid the 2007 film's angle with Megatron and Sari being part Cybertronian

It's an inherent problem too, because there needs to be a reason to keep the Transformers on Earth and to keep humanity relevant, otherwise people (fans and non-fans) will lose interest. It's also why most Transformers have to be disguised as Earth vehicles instead of having alien modes, or why humanity needs a major role in a TF feature. It's a difficult situation that may not be easily resolved.

Ideally, I'd like to see the war take place across different worlds (including Earth) which could lend greater variety of environments and Transformers. Cybertron did something like this which worked out fairly well. But then I'm speaking for myself, and I'm not sure others would like this concept.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Meh. I find the perception that there NEEDS to be some quote-unquote "higher" reason for the Transformers coming to Earth at best overdone, at worst overblown. Sometimes s*** just happens.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    I'm fine with Earth, but the "Transformers crash land into Earth" is becoming cliche asf

• Like Like x 1
  4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I have to disagree. The Transformers' war on Earth can't always be over resources. The TF battling over energy is a tired story line that was used to death just in the first TF show's first season and has only become more tiresome as it continues to be used decades later. Each show does need to create a unique reason for the TF to be on Earth. It's that lack of creativity that made Prime such an uninteresting show and if it had actually done anything with the idea of Earth being Unicron, the show would've been better off.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I like where the idw books are going now with earth. It started off as just another world to bleed for energon, then they found ore 13 and the Metrotitan. And now earth is being brought into the bigger, intergalactic picture.

In the future i'd like to see humanity leave earth with the autobots, and assist in quelling bdecepticon uprisings, fending off quintesson invasions and stuff like that.

I' also like to see what happened to Nebulon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I would love to see a series that focus on a different group of characters fighting the war elsewhere. Maybe venture back into the G1/BW/BM story universe.

Have a series set during the time Optimus Prime and Megatron's forces are knocked out on Earth. The war didn't quit because they weren't involved.

Or show a Clone Wars style series with an elite group of Autobots fighting Decepticon holdouts after the war ended. Each episode could take place on a different planet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Honestly, I don't mind that they're coming up with new reasons for Cybertronians to come to Earth. The whole "This Allspark Seed of Leadership Pillar thing from Cybertron was hidden on Earth this whole time!" angle got old by the second movie, but Primus being Cybertron and Unicron being Earth in TF: Prime was an interesting story element. All that said, I do think it's been done a bit too much, especially in the Cinematic Universe. I'd like to see a new, fresh reason why Cybertronians came to Earth.

I'd be interested in seeing a series that starts out on Earth, but spreads out to other places in the universe like Nebulos, Caminus, back to Cybertron, etc. as the show goes on.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Count me in on wanting more TF fiction that takes place on other places than earth.
    It'll force writers to be more creative and give us more interesting altmodes.

• Like Like x 5
  9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I reckon that's the reason so many people want to see transformers cross over with so many other franchises, the opportunity to see the vehicles and weapons unique to those franchises as alternate modes. To see transformers as stuff besides our typical cars, trucks, tanks, jets, and radios.

Personally i'd love to see the Transformers tossed into a scenario where humanity is already at war with an alien race(s). Like warhammer 40K. Just imagine the diversity of alt modes we'd have when you consider the Imperium of Man, Tau Empire, Chaos Demons, Necrons, Tyrannids, Orks, and Eldar all have unique aesthetics to their craft and weapons.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    this is one of the issues i have with Bay's Transformers, notwithstanding that some of the major historical events on Earth (Apollo landings, extinction of the dinosaurs, construction of the hoover dam, the construction of the pyramids, etc.) have things to do with Transformers. i wished that after ROTF, Bay would've dropped this theme, but now we see the middle ages and WW2 coming into play with TLK. i am just taking the Bay's Transformers for what they are. like i said, i will still invest money & watch the . but i am very much looking forward to the eventual reboot and whatever new continuity it will create.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    i'd like to see a Transformers live-action, either as a mini-series or movie, that explores Cybertron's golden age and then leading up to the civil war. They could create a new set of Transformer character as a lead-in, sort of like what Star Wars did to Rogue One.

I've had this in my mind recently, a Cybertronian being born. there are multiple modes of Cybertronian reproduction, so this character is born with parents. this Cybertronian, a flier, then lives life on Cybertron from sparkling to adulthood, with friends, going to school, hanging out with his friends when they are on top off Cybertron's tall buildings start to learn how to fly as what usually Cybertronian fliers do, finishing his education & becoming an engineer working for Shockwave, living life leading into the Golden Age of Cybertron, then the corruption in the political system & eventual decay, then living through the establishment of the caste system, the rise of Megatron & the Decepticons, where this character join the Decepticon cause eventually trained to become a sniper, not because he's inherently evil but he believed in the principles and ideal of bringing back the glory of Cybertron, then ultimately the war. this character finds his way to Earth, accidentally & reluctantly befriends a human, then eventually switching sides to become an Autobot after the human was threatened and endangered by Decepticons. Call the movie: "<New Transformers Name> - A Transformers Story".

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    An analogy:

Hey, why does it need to be a spider that keeps biting Peter Parker? Can't it be a raccoon for once?

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    A correct analogy:
    Hey why does Parker always have to have an aunt May?

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Works too

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I don't understand this analogy, could you explain further please?

And as much as I like the idea of Rocket Raccoon biting Peter Parker, that ain't happening this year.

16. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Then he would be Raccoon-Man, savior of peoples trash cans. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It's only happened in G1, BW, and Animated. None of the other shows have had that happen.

18. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I think Thunderwing pretty much destroyed it in Strombringer.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earth is used because we care about it due to it being our homeplanet. Most don't like even seeing fictional Earths get destroyed. Do you really care if some other planet gets destroyed? I know I don't. I have never cared once seeing the Death Star destroy Alderaan but I got angry at the aliens destroying Earth in Titan AE.

20. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to believe that whilethe films only follow one of many planets (earth obviously), there cybertronian race is scattered around many more, and some may even live in a socialized environment like the earth-bound transformers, but not necessarily facing the same threats like decepticons or dangerous ancient macguffins like them