Early Ron Friedman Draft of TFTM Available for Download

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Anguirus, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jim Sorenson has made a PDF of a draft for Transformers: The Movie (dated 4/27/1985) available for download.

Disciples of Boltax

I apologize if this isn't "newsworthy" seeing as how it concerns a film made before I was born, but AFAIK this is the first time this script has been released to the public. Some of the details did seem a bit familiar from sources such as the Wiki and the DVD commentary, but many of the details were completely new to me. The hard copy itself will also be available for auction.

This is a fascinating read, I just blew through all 200 pages. Highlights:

-Unicron is truly a planet, with an atmosphere and geological features. We are introduced to a strange presence that commands the planet "Unicron" but is itself known as "Ingestor." When he finally reveals his ability to transform the planet itself into his body, Ingestor is described radically differently, with mechanical analogues of very "organic" seeming features such as hair, bones, and a stomach.

-Several different versions of the opening shuttle sequence are included in this draft. Interestingly, they all have Prowl getting gunned down by Scavenger, as in this finished product. In fact, despite the overall different nature of this draft, a lot of specific scenes were borrowed from it, explaining cryptic character appearances in the final film such as Shrapnel's on Junkion.

-This has been reported before, but the overall level of violence and "gore" is a tick higher. There are some differences in who's alive and who's dead at the end of the film, some of which surprised me quite a bit.

-The concept of "Life Sparks" is absolutely essential to the film, which is interesting considering it was clearly set aside and not dusted off for years.

-There is no Matrix. This makes the story seem a lot more random and disjointed, and the Matrix concept was clearly borrowed from the comics in order to help the movie hang together better. Something I wouldn't have guessed.

-There is an Autobot combiner who we've never heard of before who fights Devastator! The "Ani-Bots" don't talk, but they kick serious ass. They actually are described a LOT like Predaking, but with one difference (buffalo instead of bull) and their combined form is clearly a "dragon."

-There is a rather compelling, if minor, subplot where the Decepticons take over Earth and Blaster leads a resistance movement against them.

-Some of the characters are noticeably different. Hot Rod is much more immature in the beginning. Springer is more clearly the second-in-command. Oddly, he seems very powerful in this draft but is not a triple-changer.

-This draft is 200 pages long...much too long to film. While this results in some cool extra detail, much of the time is wasted with inexplicable scenes like the Dinobots getting outsmarted by a Quintesson.

-If you thought Daniel sucked before, he's insufferable here. Spike is never mentioned so his presence is totally inexplicable. And his exosuit makes him easily as powerful as any Autobot.

-The end battle is just really awful and slapsticky, for the most part. "How can they defeat Ingestor in 20 pages? They'll make him slap himself around a bit!"

-There seem to be a lot fewer Decepticon deaths, oddly, but some of them are singled out for a lot of punishment, Thundercracker in particular. Oh, and Dirge and Astrotrain have comparatively huge roles. Most of Dirge's part in the script was outright replaced by Starscream in the final film...a vast improvement.

-One area in which this draft is FAR superior is clarifying Hot Rod's role in the death of Optimus. If a little of this material had been maintained, the "Hot Rod sucks" movement would probably be a lot smaller.

• Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Neato. I'm interested.

3. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is actually damn interesting and newsworthy to me! Nice find!

4. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Could you tell us where (page #)? Sorry, but I just don't have the time right now to go through 200 pages for one thing.

5. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll have to download it when I get back on my computer...

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    If this isn't newsworthy, i don't know what is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    page 29. Hot Rod: It's all my fault!

I've known that for years Hot Rod.

8. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ This, plus the staging in this script (as opposed to the final animation) makes it clearer that Prime was likely to get blasted in the gut without Hot Rod there. Megatron seems to hold him hostage himself rather than rely on him as a shield...the "Out of the way Hot Rod!" line is absent IIRC, so Prime's last words before getting wounded aren't chastising Hot Rod.

Oh, and in this draft Hot Rod is crippled with guilt and has to be consoled by Kup and Arcee. Even though it seems to be less of his fault in the first place. These minor changes really show that at SOME point in the scripting process, the danger of making Hot Rod unlikable by being involved in Prime's death was realized and steps were taken to acknowledge this and help the audience move on. I'm not sure why they disregarded this later, but it was a likely casualty of just having way too much plot and too many characters for the length of the film.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Incredible! You do not get a chance to read something like this very often. Many mega-thanks to Jim Sorenson and everyone who worked together to get this out into the public domain - it promises to be a VERY interesting read.

Ani-bots? Love it!

10. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Artist/Colorist Monkey

This was INCREDIBLY amazing D:!!!
    I want to see this done up now...

11. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want to see these "ani-bots"!

Also, can you go into a little more depth about the "gore"

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is going to be one interesting read. I like the small resistance story line with Sunstreaker, Blaster, and Wheeljack (he made it?). Makes you wonder why they couldn't squeeze more of this storyline into the film and dump that weird dance/kiss scene with the Junkions.:2c: 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks to the guys who clubbed together and posted it. Absolutely fantastic from what I've read so far.

the deaths on the shuttle are plain horrific, Brawn was either to get blasted in half or eaten by the insecticons.

14. GetterDragun

GetterDragun Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny how the Lion Anibot is called "Simba".

15. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Seriously, this is mind-blowing stuff. Further thanks to Jim and all the others who helped get this in the hands of fellow Transfans everywhere. Very freaking cool to be able to read this!

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    downloaded and saved for weekend reading!

17. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh, aside from the ridiculously over-the-top shuttle scene, in which bots are melted down, fused into one, and blown in half...("spoilers" below)

Bluestreak of all bots chops Thundercracker in half with a lightsaber, and in the same scene Hound is blasting legs off. Starscream's "my foot" scene is much more involved, he tears off the whole "boot" structure from his leg. Gears is blown up by Cyclonus and then the Armada chops Windcharger into neat pieces with their wings. There are a lot more references to "fuse him!" and "melt them" i.e. as an order to fire lasers. Yeah. Oh, and Galvatron "kills" Ultra Magnus on Junkion with a goddamn murder saw.

The Prime/Megatron fight is actually not significantly more savage, with the exception of Prime's final blow compressing Megatron's chest cavity so much that mechanisms pop out the sides.

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I love seeing Thundercracker and Skywarp still showing up in the final act.

19. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Ah, good old Ron Friedman.

20. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just curious but aside from the space shuttle scene, who else in the early draft suffered a completely different fate to what they had in the completed movie? i.e Wheeljack, Hound and Mirage?