E3 2019 Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Nov 15, 2018.

1. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Eh, even when Nintendo "quit" E3, that only meant they went from a stage show to their Directs. As far as I can remember they've continued to have a floor presence at the show.

But, yeah, E3 has been less and less of a real "event" for a number of reasons over the years. Something I've noticed the past few times is that almost no one actually has their stage show during E3's official time period. Their always basically "satellite" events taking place in the week leading up to the convention. Oddly enough, Nintendo's digital presentations are one of the few that happened during E3 (usually on the first day, as I recall). And of course some major players (most recently, and probably most notably, Sony) have skipped E3 entirely the past couple times.

2. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    It's been on the cards that shows like E3 were going be irrelevant since the beginning of the century (Eep! How weird does that sound?)

E3 was one of the few events where the various publishers could announce and give hands on demos of their games and hardware for the coming year to journalists. Because at the time, these print magazines were the only way they could reach a lot of customers. So a lot of effort was put into these shows in an attempt to convince the journalists to devote precision page space to their releases. And back in the day, especially with the advent of the 16-bit era, it was a great way to reach out to journalists with the minimum of effort.

But then the internet came along. At first the print magazines themselves became obsolete, but not long after, the publishers realized that they didn't really need the video game journalists. They could reach millions of people all on their own and so the need for a single show became less important - at least in terms of reaching out to the public. There was no longer a need to woo video game journalists to get the message out (which has put the nose of some long-time journos out of joint - they dislike having lost their relevance).

The UK equivalent of E3 was ECTS, which quickly realized that these large events were losing relevance, with the last show being held in 2004. I still remember attending in 2003; the whole thing was an utterly wretched event by that time, with the minimum of effort being put into the presentation and relegated to the "sticky carpet" halls of Earl's Court.

E3 has survived by becoming more of a pure trade show with public access. But even the trade part of it is becoming less relevant, as publishers, developers and platform holders find other, more regular ways to communicate and strike up deals thanks to the internet (e-mail, video conferencing etc.). I still remember waiting weeks for my boss and his pet to give me a technical report on the meetings they had in 2017 with various developers; only as it turned out, they really didn't discuss anything - and they certainly didn't take any notes so as to make a report (I ended up visiting the developers in person over the following months). There's so little actual business happening at E3 now - but companies still send platoons of management there (and to GDC) for what seems to be nothing more than a paid vacation.

I think the organizers of E3 need to be honest with themselves and admit that the events time as having any thing to do with the business side of the industry are over. Instead, it needs to focus on being an expo - because for some reason, the customer base of video games are attending these expos in ever increasing numbers. Every year that I've been to GamesCon in Cologne has been a real eye opening with the public attendance being absolutely massive - with many making use of the very flexible "media" access rules to gain entry.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Just too let everyone know GAME AWARDS are on YouTube right now. You can also pretty much view the awards from anywhere if need too. Just check out the game awards cause its on and talking about Star Wars now to everything game related.

• Like Like x 1