Heavy/Scratch: DX9 WIP X33 (Soundwave) Sonic Wizard's Apprentices

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NOCV, Dec 2, 2017.

1. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Occasional Jam-Band Drummer

Strong Work, ol' Chap!

This project seems to be cruising right along! I am watching this with great interest; you are doing something that I have wanted to do for years, and will hopefully get to do in the near future!

2. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Just got this Soundwave and I can really appreciate the effort put into this. You have some great talent to make such a small thing

• Like Like x 2
  3. JRP

JRP Quintesson Syndicate

This is amazing! Can I share the info with some of my TF groups? Your work needs to be celebrated! Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Noj

Noj Well-Known Member

These look incredible.

5. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Thanks so much! Feel free to share anywhere you like, though my Laserbeak/Buzzsaw would probably be a little more presentable than what's in this thread.
    I love this Soundwave's design. I think it's a great representation of his G1 look and its tape cavity has the space to make these kind of things possible. Mech Planet's is nice, but his chest size is too limiting.

I'll have a couple more minicons coming, and will upscale them all to fit the MFT KO of Sonic Wizard when that comes out. Or, maybe they could get ahold of me for these designs? Hmm.
    Thanks! The paint's coming along nicely and I hope to have Frenzy finished today. Stay tuned.
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate that.

I started using Fusion 360 a year ago and it's been a lot of fun. It's free and very easy to get going with. Don't wait, you could be making your own creations before the weekend!

Here's another post where I shared all the info on getting started:

• Like Like x 4
  6. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    201801251354250129.jpg

Frenzy's painting is complete!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  7. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    201801261045010137~01_20180126104833711.jpg
    Stinkin' knee sockets keep breaking..

The good news is that everything else turned out great. I'm either going to duplicate the hip joint to try to use as the knee (because the hip hasn't broken ever), or make the knee ball smaller and its socket walls thicker.

It sucks to add another 2-3 weeks onto this, but I guess the positive is that I only need to get new legs and not entire sets.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sucks about the knees. Hope your refinements work out. Laserbeak looks awesome up there too. Given any thought to doing a Ratbat?

9. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    He's well underway.

Screenshot_2018-01-26-13-13-13.jpg

I'd like to do him and Wingthing as a set, followed by Slugfest & Overkill. My son really wants me to do the dino-tapes, so I may skip Wingthing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. JRP

JRP Quintesson Syndicate

Super awesome! Sucks about the breakage though. And thanks for the permission! I know there are some members of one of my groups that collect legends scale figures so these will be perfect! And of course I have linked your profile in my post so you'll get the credit you deserve for your creations.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    That sounds awesome. Thanks!

12. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

1. Would this be a deluxe class figure?
    2. Would you happen to have a link to it?
    3. When is this coming out?
    4. and how much will it cost?

• Like Like x 1
  13. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    1: Maybe. Traditionally MFT has upsized 3P legends that are on the comparatively small side. Big guys that were made small like Iron Factory's Ultra Magnus or Sixshot they made larger, but still small enough to be to scale with legends. Their recent Dinobot KOs are deluxe size, making it hard to say for sure until more details are available. However, their upcoming Iron Factory Shockwave KO is upsized, but not quite to deluxe size. I would bet that Soundwave will be the same height as him.

2: I don't think there's a thread on it yet. It appeared last summer or fall as a silhouette, captioned with MF-18, in an image of MFT's past, current, and future products. The silhouette was undoubtedly DX9's Soundwave.

3: I expect this year, after MFT release their KOs of Iron Factory's Shockwave, and DX9's Grimlock, Snarl and Megatron.

4: Somewhere around $30 USD.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

So in terms of next to a classics seeker...
    any estimates? (Head shorter or taller or whatever)

15. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    201802211924490252~01.jpg
    Woohoo! Knees are fixed. Now to just finish up the paint

• Like Like x 11
  16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are these available yet? Also what decepticon logo is that and do you know where I can get it?

17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:

Almost.

201802281323580374~01.jpg

I finished Frenzy's paint today, and had wanted to have Rumble done also, but that'll be another day or two. If you don't mind the kit being in a "First to Try" status when you buy it, I could have it available tomorrow.

First to Try means the model hasn't been printed yet. Usually I order a print of all my items to a) make sure they're right b) get them out of First to Try status so that people are more inclined to buy them. Because this set's $17 for one complete dude, I only last ordered prints of the lower legs to see if my fix to the breaking knee joint worked.

The fix worked, so I was going to order one last complete print (I guess I could do Enemy with it?) before posting it publicly. However, you've been pretty interested in these from day one, so I can post it for you if you want.

If you want to wait until I've had it printed, then it'll only be a couple more days. Probably this weekend.
    My cassette minicons are designed to use "Symbols for Micro TFs" stickers from ToyHax.com. Frenzy, Rumble and Ratbat all use the smalleat sticker size on the sheet, while Laserbeak and Buzzsaw use the largest one. They come clear backed or silver backed, and you can do all five characters with a single sheet.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll probably be waiting a little while. Several extra expenses all hit me at pretty much the same time this month. Not too bad but enough that throwing out $34 for toys is something that I should wait a few weeks to do. Is $17 including the shipping? Is it less if you order two at the same time?

I'm kind of tempted to try designing my own figures in this scale: I've finally souped up my fdm printer to the point that it can almost handle this level of detail (200 micron nozzle and printing at 40 micron layer height; got supports to print so that they come off cleanly). I recently printed a DnD mini (30mm scale) and it came out pretty damn close to perfect. Started printing the head pieces for my Arcee custom only to find that the vibration ripples (an issue I had solved recently as part of another upgrade) have returned so now I've got to troubleshoot it again. :mad:  I probably won't make anything this small but I recently got the MOTU megablox figures and it's made me want all kinds of stuff in that scale and articulation - might take a stab at doing Thundercats or maybe some of the human TF characters since they'd be sized just about perfectly to go with MP figures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    There are shapeways deals with free shipping, but usually shipping from shapeways is pricey.

20. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Frenzy and Rumble are $17 for one or $29 for both as one set. Shapeways has a blanket $5 shipping per order (may be different for international stuff). It's cool if money is tight, they'll be available until I get a C&D.

• Like Like x 1