DX9 War In Pocket - Hulkie (Devastator)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Apr 18, 2015.

1. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

so what you're saying is that Devy should have poorly designed arms even though tread forearms are not only superior, but also easy to do as demoed by Hercules? I don't think any Geewunner concept has baffled me more than Geewun accurate kibble.

2. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yep im laughing because now we will have a better scale devastator for a good price. im all in for this.

3. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

For me, sturdiness is the main requirement. I'm tired of 3P "toys" that shatter the moment you try to move a joint. If that means some partsforming to ensure strong joints and structural support, I'm more than fine with it.
    If the parts quality is on par with DX9's other War in Pocket releases, I'm in for this whole set.

4. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Oh, OK then, I retract my statement, I shouldn't have been so snappy.
    No worries :thumb 

Why are tread forearms superior?
    Look again at DX9's design, it's very clever. I reckon the forearms are not partsforming, just the hands (big deal). It's not poorly designed at all.
    Devy's trademark tread shoulders are part of his silhouette, I for one are glad they've been retained. Devy's kibble helps create his look, anyway we're talking about partsforming, not kibble.

5. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if smaller combiner hands would be able to stay connected to the forearm throughout transformations, even if they weren't particularly well disguised. In this current test shot the hands are like twice as big as the head, so I don't think smaller hands would look weird. Would be a cool option anyway.

Attached Files:

6. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Does it see into me clearly? or darkly?

News Credits:
    Even Maketoys Giant, while Partsforming, has the treads up on the shoulders and utilizes the "generator" idea that makes the forearms more than just a piece laying around in other modes.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Hands and feet double as weapons. I don't think the forearms here do anything in any of the other modes.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ha ha. If those things are weapons, then I'm a graceful butterfly.

9. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Those hands are cleverly designed. There is just one moulding, you can see an unused thumb socket at the bottom of the palm. Simply switch the thumb between the upper or lower socket to create a left hand or right hand. Then just change the order in which the index finger or conjoined other fingers are pinned in, to suit the handing of the, er, hands. Saves on mould tooling, very neat!

In vehicle mode I think the forearms sit between the tracks, in 'bot mode I'd hazard a guess that they sit on the backs of the robots. The photos so far only show the robots from the front, so maybe they look less cool from the side?
    There are tabs inside the rear truck body of Longhaul, maybe these are to clip the hands onto to store them when not in combined mode?

10. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the forearms flip in to the arm bot bodies as well. The hands I'm not sure. If hands are also integrated then wow, pure genius. If not, no big deal. No one (official or 3P) has succeeded in designing perfect transformation combiners that still look good in all 3 modes.

11. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My assumption would be the hands fold into the forearms like with Giant's. I haven't really studied the images carefully enough to decide if there is room or not.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree with the idea that the hands come off and the forearms are attached. If the hands actually can fold into those forearms that would be sweet, but I'm not counting on it. The forearms are a lot thinner front to back than they are side to side, they look to be as thin as the treads.

If not, I think someone could come up with upgraded forearms with smaller hands that could do just that. I might attempt it if that's what is needed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A quick PS with right hand about 50% smaller - works for me. I'd take smaller hands for a perfect transformation.

[​IMG]

14. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

A non-partsforming combiner! What manner of sorcery is this?!

(Want!)

15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the work of the Devil!

Funny thing is I have spoken briefly to the DX9 designer, and one thing he rapidly admits to, he's a GoBot fan! GoBots did several combiners without parts forming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  16. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    The smaller hands look a lot better IMO. But I'll be amazed if the shoulder connector, the elbow joint AND the forearm all fit in between the treads.

17. N_M_S

N_M_S Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's gonna be damned either way with some people.

If the gestalt hands are "partsforming":

[​IMG]

If the gestalt hands do fold-in, then the forearms will probably be hollow without a cover panel:

[​IMG]

18. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Man, I'd love to see to see a size comparison to original G1 devy...

19. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Dude, the hands can come off as long as they do something (like be a gun, or be a shield, or whatever), it's the rest of the arm that needs to start putting in the effort. Devastator has spent far too long with whole, unchanged vehicles for shoulder-pads while the rest of the arm just comes out of Hell and does nothing else. I don't care how "accurate" it is and I don't care if it's "tradition", It's lazy.

20. iamgnahk

iamgnahk Well-Known Member

That's not a lazy toy design; that's a lazy character design. Anything else would no longer be Dev, and if it's not Dev, it probably won't sell quite as well.