DX9 War in Pocket Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ICEPnguin, Jan 27, 2017.

1. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

20191025_140312.jpg 20191025_140240.jpg 20191025_140207.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love my MFT metallic dinos, but the DX9 dinos for bot mode scale much better with Magic Square. I'm really glad they re-released this set.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Mad Prime

Mad Prime Madness! This is Iacon!

News Credits:
    The DX9 Dinobots in bot are placed with the Newage figures. The MFT Dinobots in alt mode with the G1 S3 cast consisting out of MFT and Papa Toys. Can't remember seeing the Dinobots being in bot mode much in S3.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TFFan77

TFFan77 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Got my set yesterday. I had Swoop and Snarl, but it was going to be a bigger pain to collect the other three than to get all five for the price they were going for. And I can sell the two I have already for a decent enough price, since I got them semi-cheap (during flash sales). Very happy to finally have all five, and they totally scale with the legends collection I've built.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

hey i see they fixed grimlocks hand...that is cool

• Like Like x 2
  6. BronxUST

BronxUST Well-Known Member

How are tolerances in this release? In particular swoop knees and Slag and Sludge elbows. When they originally released swoop I heard of breakages because the knees were too tight

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rasbot

Rasbot Well-Known Member

My set is waiting for me at home. Damn work, damn want for money, damn having to earn a living, damn man toys not being free.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mad Prime

Mad Prime Madness! This is Iacon!

News Credits:
    Just need Grimlock, waiting for the prices to drop on single ones or that hzj401 sells him seperate.

Hope the legs of Slag are less wobly.

So who is doing a review on them and compare them to the previous ones?

• Like Like x 1
  9. mark4flair

How so?

10. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Slag and Sludge are pretty tight in the joints the way I anticipated. Having never owned or handled them in the past, I can only compare them to Snarl regarding how tight a lot of places are. The ball joints for Sludge's wings are really tight, and I worry about them breaking. I'm thinking of using just a touch of RC motor grease (I use the stuff all the time for my TFs) so they can run smooth but don't get too loose. His dino legs slide out on a rod to let them clear his body/bot-legs, and it looks like they put some grease on the inside. However, when you pull it all the way out, it gets really tight. I'll have to see if I can get some motor grease further in to fix that, but keep the issue in mind. Bicep swivels and elbow joints are fine.

Slag has the same scary tolerance regarding getting his tail/bot-feet past his rear dino-legs. You just have to take your time and know you're going to bend the plastic panels a little to get them past everything and take your time. The opposite is true of his tail turning into his feet. The black hinge the tail pieces are attached to are really loose on the outer-most connection, so when you get his feet in place, they swing around on the inside of his legs. Dripped some Pledge Future into the one hinge pin, and that seems to keep it stiff enough to stay put. He also has really stiff hip and bicep swivels, but his elbow joints are fine.

Swoop is different. His knees are actually fine right out of the box.. On my copy, I always had a hard time folding his chest around for dino mode, but this one tends to be a little easier. Same with his legs tabbing into his back for dino mode--I had to sand down the pegs on mine to make it easier (and it's MUCH easier). The new copy is not as easy as I made mine, but easier than my original before modding. Also, as a small difference, the piece that connects his dino beak to his robot head is yellow instead of gray. Seems to click on a little bit better than mine, but that could just be my own copy. Also, his metallic leg paint is a shade darker. Everything else is the same as mine.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  11. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

well you actually put the sword in his hand. that was something you could not do with the original. so that is a plus unless they just gave him a new sword.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mark4flair

Ok, I've only ever owned the MFT dinos so this is my first go-around with the DX9 versions.

Grims was the only one I opened so far and the sword and gun seemed to fit fine.

Good to know there was an issue and it hopefully has been corrected on the second run.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rasbot

Rasbot Well-Known Member

20191025_180324.jpg
    So the yellow paint is actually Devy mint green

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  14. mark4flair

Probably needed a 2nd cote for sure, I will have to inspect mine when I get home because that looks pretty bad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phase Sixer

Phase Sixer Well-Known Member

That looks so much better to me! Yup, I’m super glad they put out this giftset too and can’t wait to replace my MFT set that’s on the shelves with these

• Like Like x 3
  16. mark4flair

I had both MFT sets, toon and metallic. I sold the toon MFT set in favor of the DX9 set because the scale matches better with Magic Square.

I kept the metallics for dino mode where size isn't so important, because how big is a dinosaur compared to an giant robot anyway?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Phase Sixer

Phase Sixer Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m still on the fence as to whether I’ll sell my metallic set too. All my legends are NA, MS, and IF mostly, don’t know if I have a use for them.

I may do the same though and keep them in dino.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Man, now that I know they’ll exist, I really want a preorder for that Dark Dinobots set to go up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

I'm getting the DX9 set and an MFT Sludge as I find the DX9 one undersized in dino mode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rasbot

Rasbot Well-Known Member

20191025_222600.jpg

• Like Like x 6