DX9 War in Pocket Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ICEPnguin, Jan 27, 2017.

1. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Oops, my mistake. Then where does the black come from?

(I thought the DX9 was a toon set.)

460 yuan (~US$66) excluding international shipping. Should be around 1.3 kg. (Mine was a bit more cos I bought two MFT dinobots with it.) [This seems like volumetric weight.]

It doesn't look yellow by any means. Don't make me use the color meter once again. :p 

2. Zherneboh

Zherneboh BRAVE BOMBER

It might be due to a filter I forgot to turn off, you can see it looking more greenish in this photo from earlier:

3. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

Can the interior be painted silverchrome, to shine thru the black?

4. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

the original was smoked plastic and on the new one it is a solid black cast.

5. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no idea where the black/dark area on Grimmy's chest originated from. The larger MFT version got it right with the clear chest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone else have these QC issues?

Right out of the box my Grimlocks head is splitting right down the middle and I havent even transformed him in fear of making it worse

Snarl in robot mode has a giant scratch across the top of the clear plastic on his chest.

Slags toes wont stay put on the inside of his shins,the hinge is far to loose.

Any help is appreciated? Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. TFFan77

TFFan77 Well-Known Member

I’ve got an issue with Slags foot, but nowhere near that bad. Other than that, all good with mine.

8. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I think AOD (Art of Duplicates) and Pocket Toys need to an improved KO version of this set to improve the issues. They did a great job with their KO of DX9 Richthofen/Powerglide.

9. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You can tighten the joints on Slag with some Pledge floor polish. Get the kind for tile and vinyl, and unscented. Depending on the country, it goes by different names, but it's basically a self leveling clear acrylic. Drip a drop into whatever joint you're wanting to tighten, work it around to coat, and then don't touch it for 24 hours. It needs time to set completely, or the joint will be gummy instead of tight. This works on ball joints and pin joints. You can google 'future floor polish' for other uses and tips.

The mark on Snarl looks like it's just some flash from the mold. You can file it or sand it to make it look better.

As for Grimlock's head, I want to say that the original had that issue too. I sold my set a while back for the improved MFT versions, and that Grimlock doesn't have that issue, so I might be wrong about that. You could always try tightening the screw that holds the halves of the head together, or applying a very thin layer of glue and squeezing it together.

I hope that helps!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know of the polish and I have it and used it before but it isnt going to me any good now as the Hinge on Slag just gave and broke off with the pin,so hes toast. As for Grims head theres a nasty stress mark in his mouth and Im not even going bother with it.

Could I use the polish to fill in the crack on snarl? cause then at least I can salvage 1 of the 3 of them.

Thanks for the help guys.

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Ha!

I'm just saying I know it's yellow paint, and the gray plastic is bleeding through due to it only being like one coat. That explains the more greenish tinge.

But "lime green" is an actual bright green. Maybe you just meant "lime yellow." :D 

Seriously, it certainly doesn't match the yellow plastic. Two or three more coats and we likely wouldn't be saying a thing, so that's a shame. But again, for me? Fixable. Might mask off the parts on mine and spray this weekend. I have enough yellows to find a match, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Seconded. Its not lime green at all. Thin yellow, sure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. I believe the original individual sets copied the smoked plastic from the G1 Toys. The new boxed set has simply replaced that with black plastic.
    As a toon junky, I want glossy yellow on Grimlock's chest and dark grey thighs, and dark grey for chest and thighs on Sludge and Snarl. Slag and Swoop are both pretty good as is. I'll be painting my sets as needed. In which case the too-thin yellow paint on the feet can be done at the same time.

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    If AOD is smart they should capitalize on this set:
    -Corrected colors (clear plastic where they should be, yellow where it should be instead of a lime color).
    -Qc hiccups corrected and improved
    -Cheaper price for the set.

15. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    At that point, you should contact the seller for a replacement.

16. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Just wondering, are the two of you looking at the first batch from 2017? Looking at pics from 2017 in this thread, the parts are yellow with a greenish hue. As mentioned, it's like they need another coat of paint. The current batch from 2019 does not look yellow at all.

AoD's Powerglide is so similar to DX9 that it makes me think there is more to it than KO. Just like MakeToys vs Yes Model's headmasters. If you want to KO something, would you choose Powerglide?

17. Phase Sixer

Phase Sixer Well-Known Member

My Slag has the loose hinge on the feet, and it’s annoying. My Snarl also has that flash, which I didn’t notice til I just checked. I imagine they must all be like that.

My Grimlock is fine though.

18. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I do have Swoop and Snarl from the old batch, so I'm able to see the difference in person. The old Snarl does not have a greenish hue; just a yellow that's the TINIEST bit different from the yellow plastic.

I do wish Grimlock had a clearer chest panel, maybe a slight tint to it. But it doesn't ruin the figure for me. the head-split in his dino head is also there for me. Something's not quite fitting right inside I guess, and unfortunately because it's pinned I can't get it apart to figure out what to adjust or shave down.

I also had the loose Slag feet, so I applied some drops of Pledge Future into the hinge and it's fine now. Transformed back and forth a few times (I think he's the scariest regarding clearance issues).

19. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Painted yellow and smoked plastic is a mishmash that's mixing toon and toy and DX9 already did that with their original releases and MFT upsized it already with their set. And then MFT also have a straight toy look with clear plastic and gold.
    Pic below is MFT upsized Toy set and DX9 mixed toy/toon look. Bottom pic is MFT upsized mixed toy/toon. And the latest boxed set from DX9 is painted yellow and black, which is accurate to neither.
    What we don't have is a proper toon look. For that, they need to ditch both the clear and black plastics altogether and replace both with a dark charcoal grey, and give Grimlock a fully painted yellow chest. THAT's what's missing from the variations already on hand.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2019-11-15_13-54-59.png

20. ZSquared

ZSquared Member

Welp, definitely have the green tinge and Grimlock's head seems to be splitting. What's most annoying is that my set came with no weapons at all. Gonna have to contact the store I got it from about that.