Dx9 Tyrant aka Galvatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by icemanff23, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have a message... :) 

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's slightly less screen accurate than the FT version, but I prefer him. He just looks mean and imposing in a way Ft's doesn't.

I grabbed the FT reissue recently (gorgeous figure), but I'm not even sure I'll keep him. DX-9's IS Galvatron to me. It was painfully clear to me when I put them side by side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

The other issue I had with the hands were when you fold them up into cannon mode, there is a peg inside the arm that pegs into the back of the hand. It was unusual and I missed it. Didn't damage anything but it took about 20 minutes out of my life trying to figure out what was holding up them folding inside the compartment right. LOL

4. Sportimus

News Credits:
    I wonder if can shove that flashlight into Sovereigns cannon?

Waiting for a TF to arrive can be so painful...

5. boomerdave

You can probably shove it a lot of places...that can be painful too...doesn't mean you should :p 

EDIT: I'm sitting at my desk at work laughing with the image of me going to my wife "Hey honey...check out my new Galvatron light up feature. Just pull my finger to activate it...."

• Like Like x 1
  6. bmash

bmash Well-Known Member

Mine did not come with any batteries in the opaque cannon. Anyone know what size/how many are needed?

7. Devastaor275

Devastaor275 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    Got him as a birthday gift from my wife this is a awesome figure & that head sculpt is on point 156_1522.JPG 156_1527.JPG 156_1540.JPG 156_1543.JPG 156_1545.JPG 156_1555.JPG 156_1576.JPG 156_1580.JPG 156_1584.JPG 156_1599.JPG 156_1606.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  8. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Just went and opened mine up... 3x LR44

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sportimus

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Devastaor275

Devastaor275 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sportimus

News Credits:
    I came home to find a package on my porch with yellow tape all over it. Baba came thru again with DX9 Tyrant. My initial thoughts are as follows:

The Good:
    - The look. He's got a great Galvatron look; especially his face/head.
    - Very posable due to good articulation.
    - Has presence.
    - Feels like a good quality piece.
    - Great packaging art. DX9 knows how to present their products. I know many don't care, but I appreciate the extra mile.
    - Both cannons attach securely and stay on very well.
    - Tight joints

The Bad:
    - Haven't found anything bad to say about this guy.

The Ugly:
    - Those hands. I don't mind their shape so much. I wish they had one more articulated point on his fingers so he can point straight. But I can deal. That said, I have a hard time positioning his thumb to make an open hand look natural. It's a bit too close to his palm in most positions.
    - The feet. Not the prettiest from some angles, but for the most part, they work fine.
    - Waist ratchets. Needed to have more positions as his stance is either straight legged or a really wide A-Stance. Now I like A-stances, and don't mind them being wide, but for some reason, the stance feels wider than it should be. Easy workaround for me. Not a deal-breaker but worth noting.

Tyrant vs Sovereign:

Truly a clash of the titans here! Both are excellent! After being a proud owner of Sovereign for about a year, I was surprised how different Tyrant felt when I first pulled him out of the box. Sovereign feels like holding a cinder block whereas Tyrant feels like holding something like MP-36. The plastic feels different as well. Not cheap or inferior in any way, just different. It way I found this to be a pleasant difference as Tyrant felt more manageable in comparison. As much as I love my FT Sovereign, I find myself preferring to hold Tyrant more. It's got the right weight for me (it may not be the same for everyone, though). I like handling this one over the Fans Toys. This was the hopeful intent to begin with. I prefer Sovereign to remain as a display piece. This will also be displayed, but will have other purposes as well. I plan to use it for video sketches, comparison pics, and something I can mess around with. I can do that with Sovereign, too. I just have a personal preference for Tyrant for aesthetic reasons. Tyrant also looks a lot better to me in-hand compared to some of the pics and videos (he looks good there, too. Just better in real life).

In my humble opinion, I see both Sovereign and Tyrant as excellent MP display pieces. Both feel higher end. Both are fun to handle. But for reasons I cannot quite explain, I feel more comfortable take Tyrant off the shelf and putting him to good use. Part of it may have to do with the price, as this fella was about half the price of Sovereign. The wait was worth it. :) 

• Like Like x 5
  12. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

Looks like tyrants price is back up at most websites. Does anyone have a good reliable place to pick this up at the cheaper price it was going for before the hike?

13. Sportimus

News Credits:
  14. Jersey_Steel

15. Jersey_Steel

Been debating him for a while and seeing the prices suddenly jump up again helped push me to just get him

16. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I echo a lot of the same thoughts as you. I've had Sovereign, Tyrant, and the Open and Play one. All 3 are fantastic figures on their own. I think that Tyrant strikes such a good balance of playability and premium feel between the other two versions. I can definitely find more nitpicks with Tyrant over Sovereign, but Tyrant is the one I want to pick up and mess with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sportimus

News Credits:
    You summed it up so nicely. Thanks! :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. boomerdave

Tyrant's cannon mode is just insanely good. That's how I keep him on my shelf....you know...(as my wife calls it) "The space pencil sharpener?"

• Like Like x 8
  19. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Hahahaha, that's a robot chicken sketch waiting to happen!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jersey_Steel

Has anyone ever contacted DX9 about replacement parts and such? My Tyrant came in and has gold from the cannon on his lower leg.