Dx9 Tyrant aka Galvatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by icemanff23, Aug 15, 2015.

1. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

He does but, unlike Mightron, they have enough play in them to cheat from the straight position and stand him in a good looking A stance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Yes it's too wide, it needs more clicks or strong friction joints.

• Like Like x 1
  3. daddytron

Kind of followed the same pattern, other than selling Sovereign. Reacquiring this guy is 2nd or 3rd on my collecting to-do list. He's really terrific.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

There's a way to get around the wide A-stance if it really bothers you, but you lose the ratchet. The legs can be opened up at the back by removing three screws. Once opened up, you have access to the ratchets that are responsible for the wide A-stance. Flip the loose ratchet piece around and put everything back together and viola, the ratchet joint is now a friction joint. Due to the spring in the ratchet area, it's actually a really well toleranced friction joint (at least on my copy) and not loose or floppy at all.

Like a few other people here, I really like DX9's Tyrant over Sovereign, but I hated the wide A-stance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

His head is damn near perfect to boot.

6. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Good to know, the wide A stance was the only thing that made me dubious about buying him. My copy is due to arrive soon, if it turns out I can't live with the hip ratchets I'm gonna try your fix.

7. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

Not a great pic, but here are Op Ex and Tyrant together. Hadn't actually had the two of them together before, but they go pretty well I think.
    tyrant and Op ex.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome! yes i'm all in on OpEX! Galvy is a little bit taller, but that's ok.

that seals it for me!

9. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

My only beef with Dx9's Tyrant were the strange feet, however I felt both the face sculpt and the fact that the cannon threads tucked into the backpack were superior to Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanstoys design. I'm glad you're enjoying this toy. So the total cost of the KO-Mp36 and Dx9 came to about the same as 1 Takara Megatron? ;) 

10. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Today I opened my Tyrant and I played a bit with him. What I don't like about him? Instructions could be more clear, I had to see a video to understand how to collapse the arms in cannon mode, the feet are a bit weird, too few clicks in the hip ratchets, and the fingers....I've never seen fingers so loose. I would have also liked double jointed knees and more posability in cannon mode, in order to have him blasting autobnots more easily.
    But in the end I like him very much. Cannon mode is fantastic and bot mode is good. Transformation is complex but I didn't found the process frustrating (i still have to do the inverse, from cannon to bot mode, though). Articulations are good, he poses well, he's menacing...a very good galvatron, and for 70 bucks it's a steal.

11. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Also a new owner who bought him on sale. I mainly picked it up because I wanted a better alt mode for MP Galvatron.

Sovereign certainly feels like a premium collectible with his heft and paint, but holy hell, Tyrant actually has so much more presence, IMO.

It's partially the face sculpt, but also the body angles and dimensions. Tyrant looks dynamic, and Sovereign looks kind of flat and blocky in comparison.

If I wasnt so lazy, I'd seriously consider selling Sovereign and buying a 2nd Tyrant. Of course then FT would release a great face sculpt and I'd regret it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  12. darkeros

darkeros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    ShowZ has this guy 72,99 usd flash sale. Great price

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Enfin

Enfin Destron

The only thing I do not like is his upper body. It's too much hinges and stuff that doesn't "belong" to the body if that makes sense. In comparison to Sovereign his body is clean and looks like a "real" upper body. Other than that Tyrant is great in robot mode. Alt mode lacks posability.

14. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I've done the mod to have the hips frictions instead of ratchets on one leg, but it's a bit looser than I'd like. Now I have to decide what is better, more posability or more looseness.

15. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Did the hip mod in the other leg, it's tigther than the first and basically perfect. The end result isn't bad but now I'm a bit paranoid that the ratchet's teeth are going to wear out, leaving me with loose hips even if I turn them back in the original configuration.

16. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

That's a deal! God can I justify this for an ALT mode display!? He does have a better, more accurate alt mode than Sov in regard to the tank legs.

You can get a Masterpiece scale Galvatron for HALF the price of Fanstoys Sov! Wow!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  17. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I don't do alt mode displays but I have this guy and Sovereign both and this guy got to go into alt mode. He KILLS it. It's the perfect Galvatron cannon mode and it's awesome on my shelf.

18. daddytron

His cannon mode is really as beautiful as a Galvatron cannon mode can be. Reaquiring him (long, stupid story) is at the top of my collecting to-do list.

19. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you Splendic. He is not as premium feeling or as tidy as Soverign but he IS Galvatron where as Soverign looks like a kid cosplaying as his dad. Soverign has no presence in comparison and doesn't capture the character for me. He is nice in hand though. Very well built.

• Like Like x 2
  20. True Adventures

True Adventures Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What I love about Tyrant is that he really seems to evoke the Geoff Senior Marvel UK character art. I look at him and see the raving psychopath from Time Wars, which was always my strongest memory of Galvatron. No doubt Soveriegn is a premium figure, but I’m still really glad I went with Tyrant.

• Like Like x 1