DX9 Toys D06 Carry - Studio OX Inspired Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by The Crow, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I am still bursting at the seams with anticipation for Carry, and still absolutely elated over the news of a new MP Hot Rod.
    I love the character & I love cool toys so I am immeasurably happy that both things exist.

2. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, a new Hot Rod is great for me. Carry and MP-09 are Rodimus, this will be Hot Rod! And Carry will be my Rodimus as his bulk and general bearing look a lot more "Prime" than the spindly, too-bland MP-09.
    Looking forward to posing MP Hot Rod holding a Matrix with Carry behind him, in the same pose, holding another Matrix - to replicate the "upgrade" scene from the movie!!
    Do kind of hope that he'll be a little bigger than the car bots though - maybe FT's Perceptor size...

3. Switchblade

Switchblade One Flesh, One End

News Credits:
    This for me, too. You can never have too many Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime toys.

4. Skyfire87

Skyfire87 Phase 6r

Mines processing at bbts!

5. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully ToyDojo will get them in soon!

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Carry just dropped into my BBTS PoL.

7. PkP Edge PkP

PkP Edge PkP Well-Known Member

Hey curious what did you guys pay at bbts? I swear the raised the price on him? Or am I on crack? Lol

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    invoice relieved from toy dojo!

9. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

Each to his own, but I don't really get the point of this.

To me the official version is much, much better looking.

For those buying: Is it a scale issue to the rest of the MPs?

10. GrimSwipe

GrimSwipe Shock Trooper

Torn on this one, even though I canceled my PO months ago. I'm more of a Rodimus fan than Hot Rod, and I do dig the bot mode. The vehicle mode scale really bothers me though. Might be tempted just because of my love for the character, but not at the release price.

11. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

In just glad this is finally released so I don't have to hear Don on RFC complain about waiting on this guy anymore

13. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I really want to see this next to the Feralcons / Feral Rex or Hexatron, hope someone can take a pic for me, cause that is how I would display it.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  that got me to laugh a little.

16. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Different people like different things about this and DISLIKE things about MP-09.
    This is all my opinion of course but:
    For me MP-09 looks kind of spindly and far too "toy-like". I get that he's a close representation of the cartoon but in this case it's too close. Other MP's pull additional details both from their toy and from their real life Alt Mode - side mirrors, make and model badges, bonnet and panel lines etc. Rodimus' Alt-Mode has no real life counterpart so it's missing these realistic details - looks too simple and plain. It's the same issue I have with XTB's Cyclonus and Scourge figures - too simple and plastic looking, they need more detailing.
    Look at the limbs of other MP's, they have lines and panels and bolts etc. Makes them look less like a toy and more like a model of an actual robot.
    Carry has these added details. Admittedly they are more Studio Ox than toon but I can live with that. Rodimus is supposed to be a more futuristic robot, so he can get away with extra details.
    Plus Carry has more "heroic" proportions. He looks broad and solid and has a leadership presence that the fragile MP-09 lacks. Alt-Mode is admittedly too small but so far only my FT Dino's are displayed in Alt Mode, everything else is Robot all the way.
    And with the rumours of a TT Hot Rod down the line, I can have best of both worlds - a properly scaled Hot Rod and a beefy looking Rodimus.

17. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got it in. So far so good. The vehicle mode scales perfectly with Combiner Wars, imo.

18. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Mine just arrived from TF Direct.
    Looks good. Vehicle mode is way too small for MP but it's frankly astonishing how such a small truck unfolds into such a beefy figure! Backpack is pretty chunky from sides or back but fine from the front. Joints nice and stiff, plastic feels super thick and solid - better than most official MP's I own. The moulded matrix in his chest is ridiculously small - DX9 really should have had a cavity to hold MP-10 matrix, same as MP-22. Speaking of which his hands are not fully articulated which makes it tricky to hold the gun or a matrix but it's possible. Looks like the hands have similar attachment scheme to MP 10 and MP 13 so 3P hands should be a possibility.
    New chest flames are a definite improvement and other paint and plastic colours are nice. Love the face, very stern and business-like.
    The Target master (Firebolt?) is a decent enough fgure - nice light piping on the eyes, reasonable poseability - turns into a massive gun that frankly looks awesome and is almost as tall as Rodimus himself!
    Pretty much everything I expected and I have no qualms about QC.
    All up I'm extremely happy with this and he looks way better than MP-09 (for me at least) He'll look excellent facing off against DX9's Galvatron!

Attached Files:

19. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I'm really glad to hear that he is solid. Carry is my stand-in for MP-09. After three years of never giving any trouble, last year MP Roddy finally took a random shelf dive for no apparent reason and had the connecting joint in the middle of his right shoulder just explode. I woke up one morning and he was lying there busted. :(  He didn't even fall all the way to the floor and I don't have a pet so I have no idea what did him in. I do have a Hasbro Roddy, but I'm afraid to ever try transforming him out of alt mode again.

Fortunately, I do really like the Studio OX look, and I like having toys with this level of ingenuity in the engineering and design. So I like both Carry and MP-09's aesthetics. Also, it's not like the market is flooded with Rodimus Prime toys (maybe that's coming next year :p  ). I got my invoice from Toy Dojo already, so this will be interesting.

20. rkg123

rkg123 Well-Known Member

Just got this and I had to give some quick thoughts because I haven't been this happy about a 3rd party figure in a long time. In hand - Rodimus is just a beautiful figure and it just feels like so solid compared to some other 3rd party figures I've had in the past.

Plastic feels durable and thick and nothing really flops about when you pick it up and mess around with different poses - which just adds to the fun factor - which btw I think is really an underrated attribute of the '3rd party figure' and some Masterpiece figures for that matter. These things in general should just be more fun. I want to be able to pick a toy up and pose/transform without the fear of having 3 or 4 parts fall off to the floor; breaking something; and/or getting annoyed at an overly complex transformation.

And first impression - Carry is fun. Self contained transformation is such a neat idea and I really like how his legs, chest and shoulders transform into robot mode. One in robot mode, everything tabs in securely.

Getting tired, so here is my quick Pro/Con list:

Pros:
    -Plastic feels solid and sturdy
    -rubber tires and diecast in feet
    -beautiful face sculpt
    -joints feel tight
    -nice articulation
    -good weight distribution - doesn't topple over easily
    -everything tabs in well in both modes

Cons
    -price - ugh, with the CAD $ low and this being an expensive figure - this part sucks.
    -missing the black pinstriping around the flames like on the test shots - would have liked that here
    -really annoying to pull the heals out of the feet...had to use a tool - the heals also are a little thin
    -Targetmaster is lame...sorry I was hoping it would be better...I think it's mostly the face sculpt and the lack of articulation...it's also a little big for Rodimus - but good news, you can keep it in the box!

So forget about all the talk of defining 'masterpiece aesthetic' etc etc whatever...this is just a fantastic figure plain and simple. Go get it!