DX9 Toys D06 Carry - Studio OX Inspired Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by The Crow, Mar 4, 2015.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    That is subtle---it's actually the orange thighs and black shins etc, that are more obvious IMHO. Orange is slightly lighter, dark grey now pure black.

Best of both worlds? So similar that there's no reason to buy it if you have the original, yet also plenty similar enough to the original that if you missed out, you shouldn't feel bad at all at having to get the 'repaint' instead of original colors. (and it's still the best Rodimus out there)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    I have a 3D printer arriving this week and Carry another week or 2 after that. Is there a file for the spoiler somewhere either for purchase or free or do I have to design my own?

3. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    The only spoiler I know of is Toyhax's, and it's like "hand-cast resin", it was never in CAD etc AFAIK. The design is perfect, it even fits into the backpack in robot mode quite nicely and 90% hidden.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    It might have to be my first designed and printed project.

• Like Like x 3
  5. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for these, it's good comparison!

Mine is due to land soon, I'm now wondering if I'll have some buyers remorse.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screenshot_20230116-171058~2.png
    They're so darn similar that I can't decide which one to keep. (they're too similar that I can't justify keeping both)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  7. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    Psst---you forgot to flip his butt-plate up. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jim1981

Jim1981 Well-Known Member

Simply because there is no option in masterpiece scale available. The MP rodimus is impossible to get…

9. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a Takara MP-9 but sold it in favour of this. Sure the truck mode was beautiful but this was a better all-rounder.

67264054_1618502818291023_3671490653398761472_n.jpg
    Carry is a smidge taller but dimensions wise the chest and shoulders are virtually the same size as MP-9

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2023
  10. TFC201482

TFC201482 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Woohoo! Came home and mine was in the mailbox! After the other day I checked the tracking and it said it wasn't supposed to arrive until Thursday. SCORE!! Two days early! Way to go ShowZ!! I'll post some pics once I get settled in! Gotta get my workout in and get some supper and then it's playtime. LOL! Ordered some stuff from Shapeways for this figure as well. Got the email today saying it shipped so now it's just a matter of time before I have those parts too! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are MP-9's legs fully extended in that picture?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Goose24

Goose24 Well-Known Member

They don’t appear so. I have both figures and will try to get a pic at some point but if I remember correctly MP-9 was taller but Carry was broader.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TFC201482

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I tried to take pics showing the metallic paint better by using the flash on my phone .. didn't do too great of a job. Haha! Makes the colors look darker tho.... Obviously haven't transformed yet but looks spectacular so far!!!

PXL_20230118_002608662.jpg PXL_20230118_002434345.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Optional Prime

Optional Prime Cereal Killer

Wow, that side-by-side sure is an eye-opener. I had all but forgotten that, despite the name on the box and the funky shellforming trailer, MP-09 was in fact Masterpiece Hot Rod (with the inconsistent scale typical for the pre-Mp10 era). And as such, not even a bad one... just nowhere near capturing Rodimus Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TFC201482

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not sure how ya did that, but that's not my post. lol. I agree tho! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

In all fairness, Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime the way MP-09 did it was always going to be a tall order; the slight height boost and the young/old face swap were both okay but there wasn't a chance they were going to be able to replicate how much stockier/bulkier Hot Rod got once he became Rodimus, especially in the movie. That was 100% animation black magic at work.

EDIT: Carry's almost here. Can't wait!

17. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Youtube reviewer got a copy WITHOUT FEET.

Most egregious QC issue ever? Looks good otherwise. Hopefully not a widespread issue!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Goose24

Goose24 Well-Known Member

Dude shouldn't have messed with The Greek. Just ask the Sobotka's how that works out...

19. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Mine arrived yesterday and I can confirm it does have feet!

No proper pictures yet, but a few of my own thoughts and observations.

Is this a better version of Carry? Yes, I think.

There's no single improvement I can think of that makes it better than the original, but several minor improvements that make it better overall.

Is it worth buying if you have the original? Personal choice really, but it's not remarkably different as others have said.

Is it metalic? No, not really. If you're used to high gloss, shiny, flaked paint jobs, such as Newage David Metalic, this is a poor comparison.

Is it a good paint job? Yes, absolutely!

Is it magenta like the press pictures? No, not really. However, in different lighting it teases you with hints of magenta, only to be scared away by cameras or a change in light.

Things I have noted as changed compared to my v1....
    • The red-gengta paint has a sheen over most parts to give a hint of the metalic. I feel this is more a top-coat than actual paintwork.
    • The helmet has a revised paint job, much darker accent on the crest.
    • The shade of grey on the face is slightly darker.
    • The eyes seem better painted and brighter.
    • The belt buckle is like the helmet crest, a darker accent of red. The buckle feels closer to blue.
    • The hands are actually black. I thought my v1 hands were black but seem a very dark grey in comparison.
    • The shins are now also black, with the v1 being a dark grey.
    • The shade of orange on the chest and legs is lighter, the feel of the orange plastic is more matte than gloss.
    • Every joint is very tight.
    • The panel fit for the trailer has better tolerances. My v1 is slight misaligned.
    • The grey cavities on the shoulders and at the elbows are a deeper grey and have the same sheen as the red.
    • The grey accents on the trailer loading bay are darker, along with the detail on the side if the knees.
    • Both rear spoilers are made from yellow plastic, but the shades of orange and red are lighter.
    • The contrast between the orange and the yellow highlights on the front of the trailer are much more defined.
    • The orange detail paint on the red knees has been deleted.
    • The red accent on the bicep is darker and has the sheen.
    An example of the grey/black differences...

20230119_191300.jpg

UPDATE: in person the lighting makes the new version look a much brighter red, but it seems the rubbish phone camera picture captures the hint of magenta/pink you get teased with.

20230119_191833.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  20. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

My Carry finally came in! I'd always waffled on getting the first release and kicked myself when it went out of production while belatedly salivating over all the video reviews; needless to say, I didn't miss my chance this time. What a fantastic version of Rodimus - while I can understand that this might not specifically scratch the G1 itch if you've got it, it absolutely slays in all other ways. The transformation is both remarkably inventive while still being refreshingly straightforward (the latter point being something that a lot of 3P's have seemingly set aside) and it looks absolutely fantastic in both modes. The Targetmaster unfortunately is what it is but IMO that's the only real weakness of this figure (posed with JJ01 Supreme Leader because one heavily stylized Autobot commander deserves another). This was totally worth the pickup, Carry lived up to all my expectations and then some.

(And the paintjob? Love the paintjob).

IMG20230119155547.jpg

• Like Like x 6