DX9 Stunticons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by oku, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

Well, turns out Dragstrip arrived from ShowZ much, MUCH earlier than anticipated...
    WARNING: Terrible phone pics incoming.

mena1.jpg

Lovely figure, imho. Articulation is disappointing, as are the awkward looking hands, but the colours pop, the paint looks lovely and transformation is smooth and simple. Plus he looks great with the rest of the team, even if his engineering isn't quite as good as the others. As for combined mode...

mena2.jpg

Welp, my terrible phone cam doesn't do it justice. Looks great, well articulated and solid as a rock. Also, I think it goes very well with the other Constructor sized combiners in terms of proportions and general style. My biggest criticism is there's no easy way of mounting the cars on the front of the legs (hoping for an upgrade kit somewhere down the line) and the overly tight joints, but overall, this is a belting combiner and has really set the bar high for XTB and FT's versions. Plus it's also a great swansong from DX9. It's always nice to see the underdog finish first.

Oh, and the transforming beetle gun? Still awesome.

mena3.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  2. Rewind

Rewind Archivist

News Credits:
    Nice. Glad to hear another good report. Goddamn I’m going to miss this company, for so many reasons. Aside from the great sculpts, transformations and quality - the pure creativity of something like the beetle gun is something we need more of, not less. Hopefully the designer is allowed as much creative flair with NewAge.

If DX9 is truly gone then I’ll just be happy that they at least gave me the only Menasaur I’ll ever need.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  3. trey carter

trey carter The hash slinging slasher

News Credits:
    This may be just me buuuut seeing this finished makes me not want it anymore. At first I was in for FT and DX9. Now I’m leaning more towards FT and XTB

4. trey carter

trey carter The hash slinging slasher

News Credits:
    Wait what happened to dx9?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While I mostly like DX9's Menasor and its commitment to toon accuracy, I feel it's gone a bit too much into the "shell-former" extreme with the limbs. Never mind MM not being necessary at all for the gestalt, the four limb bots literally just hang off a completely formed robot.

I feel FT does a better job with this in that Drag Strip and Dead End "dig in" more to the arm cavities and Breakdown and Wildrider form the back half of the calves instead of hanging on limply to a full block of leg. I feel this is more toon accurate, if you look at the cells. Does that make sense?

FTMenasor.jpg Menasor2.png Decepticon Menasor (Stunticons) G1 Cartoon Artwork.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sanity Bleeds

Sanity Bleeds Well-Known Member

I think as far as the upper arm goes, DX9 is a better trade-off as far as range of articulate provided by the cars sitting further out on the upper arms, but yeah, as far as the lower forearm, I definitely feel it looks much better on FT's version having the cars sit much tighter around the forearm. The downside is trying to accommodate these two choices gives you a very misaligned looking arm in the process, so you're likely stuck either with a tighter aesthetic, or better range of articulation, not really both.

• Like Like x 2
  7. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well Known Sucker

News Credits:
    Could it be that my Dragstrip will be delivered today? I hope so.

8. Sqlwizard

Sqlwizard Well-Known Member

We are going on the assumption ft will finish and if they do it will look like thier rendering..no protype shots yet i think..dx9 menasor is amazing

• Like Like x 1
  9. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Make a lot sense, but you are on the assumption that FT version can actually stand by itself...without lean on the wall. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Aaronstampler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    they’re taking this long to release it for a reason so I’m sure it’s to perfect the design. I don’t imagine it’s the Dead End part that’s holding them up.

11. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Oh yeah, MM is super necessary for the FT one. Without him, whose fists will distractingly poke out the top, forming shoulder boxes that are totally the wrong shape? Who will have their whole die cast ass hanging out the back, making the figure topple over? Who will have their legs clearly visible in combined mode like some sort of combiner wars figure?

I will grant you the leg boxes on Dx9 are too big, especially side to side. It would have been nice to see the car wheels from the front.

But I think the FT ones are too small. Menasor is a big, slow dude, not some skinny-shinned sprinter. Next to the other combiners I think he's going to look a little chicken-legged. The ideal probably lies somewhere in the middle.

And the XTB ones with the clip on wheel covers just looks stupid. Like he's got pinewood Derby cars back there. I feel bad for anybody that jumped on that set because it was first and now has to pretend the combined mode looks good.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sqlwizard

Sqlwizard Well-Known Member

Plus..dx9 is all inclusive..ft looks like there is parts forming..for those that care about that..i dont but just bringing it up

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

The FT limbs do look more integrated, but they also look a bit too skinny as well. Will have to wait and see what the testshot looks like.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aaronstampler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    both DX9 and FT have their charms, their pros and cons. For now, I think FT happens to check more boxes for me and I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt that when it’s all said and done they won’t put a gestalt on the streets that can’t stand on it’s own and do a few basic poses.

(I won’t sell my DX9s until I see it for myself tho.)

What’s irksome about DX9’s set to me is it’s the complete antithesis of MMC’s all-in-one approach. It went too far to the other extreme. It’s a given for a Menasor to be toon accurate there needs to be a pants-forming sixth element that does the lion’s share of the work, but DX9 doesn’t even pretend to need the integration of its members. It’s a total stand-alone bot. I appreciate the hollowed-out-ness of the FT. It says “I’d look completely ridiculous without the Stunticons attached to me.”

Anyway, the XTB set was a total non-starter for me. The limbs are too small in relation to the MM, which is a big turn-off for me, but even more so their Breakdown is either peach-colored if you’re charitable or vomit-colored if you’re direct. I’d only settle for the XTBs if they were literally the only Stunts on the market and even then I’d have a painter custom my Breakdown.

15. Rewind

Rewind Archivist

News Credits:
    Transformed Capone/Atilla again today and fell in love all over again. Goddamn that’s a satisfying transformation for both bots, and everything is so solid in all modes. It’s really impressive how that big hulking Menasor can be compacted down into the trailer. I feel like it’s DX9’s crowning achievement and I’m glad to have it.

Now if Chicago customs can ever see fit to release my Dragstrip I can finally have the whole team together.

• Like Like x 4
  16. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My dragstrip made it through customs today so hopefully soon I will have my Menasor fully put together. So glad I went with dx9 I've always enjoyed their figures and sturdy transformations. I'm definitely all in on the g2 set as well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The pricing for the remaining parts needed to complete XTB has finally been revealed. Folks are pissed in the XTB Stunticon thread and I don't blame them.
    DX9 wins:
    Price-wise
    First to complete-wise

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rewind

Rewind Archivist

News Credits:
    I’d also be pissed at how janky and goofy Menasor looks. His feet look like he’s wearing a pair of those big monster feet slippers. The individual cars are fantastic, so it’s odd the combined form doesn’t look as good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jimoinj123

jimoinj123 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I still can't understand why XTB wins polls on best Menasor set on this forum. DX9 is a better looking combined mode, better scaled cars, and infinitely superior value for money.

• Like Like x 5
  20. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

How did you clip the cars to the front of the shins?

Custom job or did you buy an adaptor?