DX9 Mini - Ginrai/Powermaster Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ArkhamSoldier, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, he's not doing it for me. The complete lack of a neck in both modes looks pretty ugly, and the arms in both modes look both a bit too thin and a hair too short. Maybe color will improve it?

I am glad that they're finally doing articulated -Master partners, though. I find it pretty sad that their previous Powermasters and Headmasters don't have any limb articulation, just what's required for their transformation. And the Kingdom Rodimus styled hands in super mode are pretty nice.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  2. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

One thing in particular I like about this is how fully the cab in integrated into the body. Typically, it protrudes a bit, where here the sculpting either side and below hide the transition from cab to trailer components.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Color may help and it looks like it will be really posable, plus the posablity of the power master is impressive. But of the two based on images right now, I like Thundermanus better. Need to see more comparisons to other figures and want to see God Ginrai mode.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Super Ginrai/PMOP hands aren’t it and the heads too small. everything else looks great

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jazzymouse

Jazzymouse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's amazing how bad they screwed up both heads here. The only reason it's not obviously too small is that they also made the hands, the general reference point, too small. The no neck/small head combo in super mode also kinda tanks the whole mode. Between that, the Italian hands, the seam in the cab, and the short arm proportions it really isn't great looking.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Illustratorbot

Illustratorbot Well-Known Member

Well, I'd quite like a representation of Powermop for nostalgia's sake (ah, how I remember the joy of discovering that a dyslexic Woolworth's person had marked him up as £12.95 instead of £21.95) but don't care about him enough to want a large (and expensive) MP, so this definitely appeals to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i don’t really get the gap complaints. seems like an issue that’s going to quickly disappear when it’s not a grey proto.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Tanafor

Tanafor Autobots at work

News Credits:
    All my complaints about the MP and MPG versions are nowhere to be found here. He looks great, but not superb. The lack of necks is really unsightly, they need to be fixed. Super mode's head looks especially bad stucked to the torso.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not a fan of the super mode head. Doesn’t look right. Otherwise the toy looks great!

• Like Like x 3
  10. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I really hope it is not too expensive and i can afford this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few things I don't like here. The head, like everybody else has mentioned, with it's no neck look. Also I don't like how Hi-Q only covers the upper half of the grill with the bottom half hanging out. I also don't like the weird windshield shape on the core bot - makes it harder to believe it's supposed to be the truck windshield (yes, I know that the Japanese cartoon had the actual front of the truck on his back but that's stupid so I like to pretend that his chest is supposed to represent the actual cab).

Other than that, there's a lot to appreciate here. Looks great overall, and I notice that you can't see a "cape" hanging out behind the core bot. At first I hoped that this meant they weren't going to do the ridiculous thing of having the front of the truck plainly visible on his back but I'm guessing it just splits (you can see the seams in truck mode) and the majority of the front will still be back there. But that's still a nice improvement over most PMOp designs.

I'd love to say that I'm going to 3D print some upgrades for him but I've been having a hard time getting back into 3D printing and have a bit of a backlog at this point so who knows if I'll get around to this one. If I did upgrade him, I'd probably go with a comic style head and a fake Hi-Q that covers the whole grill.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity would you or anyone else be opposed to anyone that tries to make a Ginrai/PMOP core bot figure that uses the actual cab as his front but finds away to hide the powerlink gimmick?

13. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be the ideal solution in my mind. In the comic, Goldbug described his core mode as "Identical to the Optimus Prime I remember," (which really doesn't add up as you could clearly see that he was a 4 wheeled truck instead of 10, the smokestacks were on the inside edge of his shoulders, and his forearms were blue [Edit] No they weren't[/Edit]) so I've always imagined him as being as close to regular Optimus as possible. In fact my ideal PMOp would be a modified version of MST's v2 Optimus as the corebot (add in the Powermaster gimmick, move the smokestacks, change the number of wheels) but I realize that's not how he was drawn in the Japanese cartoon so I would never expect any company to actually do that.

upload_2024-4-11_8-50-57.png

Huh. He actually had the weirdly shaped windshield there as well. Damn, Goldbug, get your eyes checked.

upload_2024-4-11_8-52-13.png

Ok, so maybe a modified MST Optimus wouldn't really cut it.

[Edit] I understand now why I was confused about his design as a kid. I'm pretty sure this is the only issue where they drew him to look like the PMOp toy and he only appeared in two panels before spending the rest of the issue in combined mode. In subsequent issues, when he wasn't in his Powermaster armor, they drew him like the original Optimus.

upload_2024-4-11_8-59-24.png

[Edit again cuz I can't just let this drop] Looks like he did appear in core bot mode in one more issue (pretty sure 44 and 54 were the only ones - all others he's combined) looking more like the PMOp design. They even included the red flap on the back of his head.

upload_2024-4-11_9-6-37.png upload_2024-4-11_9-6-58.png

But at least they gave him a real back instead of having the truck front back there.

upload_2024-4-11_9-7-46.png

[One more edit] Also, completely unrelated, but I would love love love an MP Roadhandler as an MST sized carbot. The scale would be perfect in my mind.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I like the looks of this more than the Takara MPG figure. The cab does not look like it's floating over the front wheel. It's not perfect, but it looks really good. Wish it had the Marvel Comic head as an option, but so far only 2 figures have done that to my knowledge.

Depending on the price I'll probably end up getting this. And maybe Chromedome.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

16. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A quick photoshop. I think with a larger combined mode head I’d be happy with him.

coldiron-primeheadsize.png

• Like Like x 13
  17. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

I think the smaller head would be less jarring if it had a visible neck.

• Like Like x 4
  18. TransformNRoll

TransformNRoll Well-Known Member

Tbh this reminds me of the Maketoys PMOP

19. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

Less stylized than Maketoys version, but yeah I can see it.

20. magicube

magicube Legends Scale Collector

News Credits:
    Magic Square is back to their old tricks again with that tiny head.

Besides that, I think he looks cool. Certainly better than MPG.

• Like Like x 1