DX9 D12 Gabriel (not Omega Supreme)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, May 28, 2017.

1. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    If you don't have Carry yet, you're gonna want that too. You're good for now though... those four things plus Carry are DX9's best products.

At Masterpiece scale.

(DO NOT GO DOWN THE LEGENDS SCALE RABBIT HOLE IF YOU VALUE YOUR DOLLARS)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I forgot I did also get Carry and Hanzo.

Damn, I was worse than I thought.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

I often contemplate exiting MP and just go this route. I thought you'd be able to get more for less. No?

• Like Like x 1
  4. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    I sprayed the crotch with silicone spray now. Maybe it loosens up, I'll see tomorrow.
    But I have a feeling it just might be that the springs are too tight. My Gabe can do the 'van Damme', but no way he can do the 'Full Monty". The clicks are so tight, I think they might break using more force.
    I will do the Spanish method shortly I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

Make sure you rock him side to side a bit to let the silicone run everywhere in there. It'll work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm curious about Agabyss' sales volume too, and about where they got the spare parts they sent, from DX9 after asking for them or dissasembling one or two faulty Gabriels they already had. And I'd also like to know if other retailers are going to send spare parts or not.

I'm curious, because I bought Gabriel from Triguetech in Spain, and some days ago they stated that DX9 wouldn't be supplying spare parts for them, so they were removing Gabriel from their web and would not sell more DX9 items, except for the ones people were demanding more. In their response denying spare parts, DX9 accepted that the qc was not good, but they just suggested to lube the joints. So, if you have broken any part because of their bad qc, or got it already broken, you are fucked up, which is quite an ass attitude, even more if we're talking about a $300 figure.

After having added some drama to the thread :D , now I can share my experience fixing my Gabe, for what is worth

I asked the seller to check my copy, they did and said that everything was ok, except for the joints, scary tight, like most of their copies. They asked if I felt able to open and lube it and I agreed to try, so a couple of days later I got my Gabriel in a good box, no paint chips, scratches, sweat or moisture, and both lights worked. However, all the joints were absurdly tight except for the knees and legs outward.

I started trying to move one yellow shoulder away from the body, and it was hard as hell, looking that it was going to break if I continued, but I did and, yes, it sounded like something broke and I found two tiny black plastic bits on the floor. I thought I just had fucked up a $300 figure at my first approach, but I tried the shoulder again and, to my surprise, the ratchet was not working anymore and it was softer to move, but still tight. I was moving it for a while and I decided it worked nice and I liked more than before, no more clak-clak-clak, so I broke the other shoulder with the same result.

White arms, again supertight. This time I didn't want to roll the dice breaking more parts, but I couldn't help but connect the arms to pry and try to move one arm a little, and I ended up with the elbow split in two :eek:  proving myself that I'm not a very clever guy. Then I just remembered I had read something about it in this thread, and that was the elbow swivel fix by Red2: DX9 D12 Gabriel (not Omega Supreme)
    The screw that holds everything is too thin, I got there, dropped glue into the thread hole and tightened everything up, not the other mods, just to have it finished quickly, and it holds, for now.
    After fixing the elbow, I still had to fix the arms tightness, and I just tried to lube the shoulders without disassembling anything. I moved the yellow shoulders up, to uncover the upper part of the white arms and dropped some lubricant into them through the holes they have. By the way, one of my firends, who is doctor in chemistry, told me that vaseline, in any form, was good enough, will work and won't hurt plastic, so I used the vaseline oil that I have for my bike, and it worked like a charm, I couldn't believe that just dropping some lube the arms were working properly.

Then, the elbow joints, too tight. Tried to poor some vaseline oil through the joints, and later I checked that it got until the ratchet system, but it did nothing. Again, Red2 saved the day with his tutorial DX9 D12 Gabriel (not Omega Supreme)
    I disassembled everything, cut the spring down one level both sides (not only one side as recommended) and sanded a little, assembled, tried, and still too tight. In the end I cut half the spring down both sides and sanded more, which looked weak before assembling, but then it was soft enough to move it easily but solid. Since my cutter pliers are small and look like a toy, I had a hard time cutting the springs several times, and after finishing I found I had blisters on two fingers because of having squeezed the pliers crazy to be able to cut the springs. For the second arm I diirectly cut half the springs and it was ok after assembling.

Hips. The legs could move outwards, but not forward and backward. I thought that lubing the outside would not get the lube into the ratchets, so I had to disassemble that part and try lubing it. I followed Tanafor's spanish tutorial DX9 Gabriel: tutorial de reparaciones until I got stuck because I was tired and it was too late, I didn't realize I had to remove both Gabriel's ass and crotch before removing the long metal pins that hold the side skirt parts, and I went to sleep. In the morning I saw it clear, finished disassembling and lubed the ratchets. I found 4 broken screws, but like others have said, it's not a problem, the other screws and the metal pins hold everything securely. I assembled everything and I was happy to check the legs were moving easily. Maybe even a bit more easily than what I would have liked, but Gabe can stand several poses and even skateboard now, so not too bad.

Is it worth the money I paid? Well, for me it is worth, but only because the story had a happy ending. I absolutely love the figure and the transformation, but I had to fix almost every joint after paying good money for it, and then to find that if I had not succeeded I would not have got spare parts, at least from DX9 right now (I hope they will rectify), so I will think twice about their next releases.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  7. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

the posts here are pretty NSFW and way too sexualized. I appreciate that at least everyone is writing these posts with a straight face trying to help the fellow collector... but seriously the last 100 pages on Gabriel fix solutions should be banned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have FT Sovereign, and he's one of my favorite releases from FT. I LOVE it! But then I recently bought DX9 Tyrant for a low price off eBay, and I found myself liking him a lot more than I thought I would. No disrespect to Sovereign, but I find myself picking up Tyrant and messing with him more,, and I really dig him! So much better having him in hand than seeing him in pictures or on video. I'm happy to have him. Every DX9 product I have has been great. I have their Richthofen, Mightron, Salmore, 3 of their War In Pocket Dinobots, and Soundwave. I'm happy with all of them, and am tempted to order their Blitzwing.

Despite the production issues on some Gabriels, this is still my first choice for an MP Omega Supreme. Every time I see comparison pics, Gabriel looks the best to me. And it's a tough choice given how good the other options are! But this one stands out to me eery time. My financial situation has been keeping me from getting it, but I hope I can soon as I had to miss out on Phoenix and Constructor. :(  I also like how Gabriel transforms as he is more integrated overall.

Just my .02 Cents here, but I have to agree in the advice in avoiding the 3P Legends rabbit hole. From the ones I have and the ones I have seen, they all appear to be great quality and design. I have the DX9 Dinobots, and their Soundwave. Great figures!!! But I don't feel like I am getting my money's worth. Paying $35 to $50+ for each is pretty steep for what is generally considerably smaller than a Hasbro Deluxe figure. They're a bit bigger than the Legends Hasbro/TT releases. One hand, they do take up less space, but on the other they lack presence, feel, and detail of an MP. I feel like I'm buying CHUG at more than double the price. And while I am paying more for 3P and official MP's, at least I feel like I am getting my money's worth with size, heft, engineering, presence, articulation, paint apps, and better accuracy/realism in comparison. Again, just my 0.02 cents. It's up to you. I dipped my toe in because of the DX9 Dinobots. They're awesome! But I just can't bring myself to pay that much for such small things.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

I got to hand it to you bro. You got some patience and skills to fix this. I am the type who wants things to be working when I get it out of the box. To me what you did is no different from buying a car but having to immediately fix up the alignment, transmission, everything, before you drive it off the lot. It is a serious black eye to Dx9.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DragonKnight71

DragonKnight71 Well-Known Member

That's a very interesting hypothesis, and I hope it's true, even a little.

11. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope it's true. I'd rather all batches heading to the States to be returned and fixed.

12. joshualukin

joshualukin Well-Known Member

I think we all know how you feel about DX9 at this point bro. Lol

13. joshualukin

I first saw them (DX9 Dinobots) at Toy Dojo in Austin and and I almost pulled the trigger. I saw Skullface review them and the tolerance issues scared me off, but I would kill for a toon colored deluxe, price it at $50 a pop and I'd bite, but $35 for a 4" toy just doesn't seem right. That being said, I am a whore and I'll probably buy them anyways. lol

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  14. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if anything, the DX9 Dinobots are some of the best Legends made. Tolerances are tight, but they nail the G1 cartoon look for me. I still don't like the price, but if you have to have Legends size TF's, these are good for cherry-pickers IMHO. I just need the last two and I'm good. After that, I'm done. I need more money to save for Gabriel. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  15. joshualukin

Fans Toys Rouge might give this one a run for its money. There are horror stories out there and some reviewers are scared to transform their copies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DragonKnight71

DragonKnight71 Well-Known Member

Just watched the review of FT's Rogue from Bobby S., wow, he can't get the left leg to go outward. Among other issues, he can't recommend it, but can't review it entirely also, because he can't transform it. :-/

• Like Like x 1
  17. Devastaor275

Devastaor275 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I saw Skullface's review he was scared to break it if he transformed it

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

Mine didn’t have any issues. Actually it’s been pretty damn good. Transformation is rough but as a figure straight out of the box there is no comparison. At all.

19. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MMC OMNE would like to have a word with you.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Cracka J

Cracka J tfs / kicks / rasslin / sfa2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At this point I would just appreciate some update as to what the holdup is.

If I have to wait another month, I'm really fine as long as I get a good toy. But the silence is killer.

It is very odd that only one smaller NA retailer has gotten this guy in yet.

• Like Like x 4