DX9 D12 Gabriel (not Omega Supreme)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, May 28, 2017.

1. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

...but if this was a common practice of that particular factory it wouldn't have been a one time thing. Would it?

I'm not outright saying ToyDojo is accurate (I dont have any answers...just a bunch of random ideas and thoughts) but condemning a company for attempting to come up with an answer for their customer base while doing the exact samething ourselves is a bit "holier than thou" dont you think? The glass house metaphor came to mind also...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

...and I'm going to double post again because apparently it's fun.

I'm sure (speculating) that had ToyDojo known that email was going to be shared for the general public of these boards to view (and I'm not talking down the fact it was shared. I think it was nice to see another company trying to make sure were all confident in our purchase and backing us up if things go South) that perhaps the wording would have been different. Or the speculation dropped completely. Or maybe not.

Part of my conversation with TF-Source was asked not to be shared. Sometimes you grow comfortable with someone and slip up and say something you'd like back to either reword or just make a mental note of whether it is appropriate to say or not. I do it frequently here at our company. I'll start talking with someone and as I grow more comfortable my filter will drop and then I stare blankly and then make the comment that maybe I shouldn't have said that.

When I write an email or post on a forum (though these back to backs is because I'm not doing that) I'll reread it a few times to insure that A) I'm not being a dick because I'm inclined to be being dickish by nature and B) that what I want to convey is being expressed properly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Msz0065

Msz0065 Well-Known Member

So I just tried to transform him for the first time today and his left hip ratchet wasn't going anywhere. It's a terrifying prospect for a figure this size, but I decided to open up his crotch so I could lube up the ratchets, and fortunately DX9 designed the ratchets to be a single piece construction, so there is absolutely zero risk of anything popping out. Actually a pretty great design, ironically. The hardest part was actually finding all the little screws to remove, but after a good lubing on the ratchet teeth, everything just moved like butter! So unless anything happens to the paint later on, Cubex style, my Gabe is pretty much perfect for now, and all told, I didn't have to do any more work on him than a typical FansToys product (I also had to lube up Soar and Sever just as much, and Phoenix arrived with a broken hip assembly.)

So in summary:
    - No water damage in the box or figure upon arrival.
    -Some paint flaking on the red chest (I sprayed some lacquer to coat it, hopefully that will preserve it)
    -Tight shoulder joints, easily fixed by lube (no disassembly required)
    -Tight hip joints, fixed by lube (disassembly required, not too difficult)
    -All electronics work perfectly

• Like Like x 7
  4. Evirdrevo

Evirdrevo Well-Known Member

My copy came from Agabyss which is a US-based seller in the state of Wisconsin. I have photo evidence of water inside the ziplock bag for the extra face. A weather event post-packaging would likely not be able to do produce water inside a sealed ziplock bag.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Virtual Venom

Virtual Venom Well-Known Member

Just some info to help narrow down what caused the wetness. I got mine from agabyss. There was no yellow tape around the shipping box and it was dry. The box the figure was in was also dry. But once I got the styrofoam open there was moisture. There wasnt any moisture inside of Gabriel it was all on the outside of the figure. The only thing I can come up with is either the styrofoam was wet or the figure had moisture on it when they were packed. I'd really like to know what caused it though.

• Like Like x 4
  6. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used silicone grease rather than spray, this one to be specific: GREASES CX80 : CX80 SILICONE GREASE
    The reason is fairly simple: it says that it's dedicated for use on plastic, synthetics and rubber on the packaging ;P
    It's a Polish product, but I'm sure you will find some equivalent in your own country.

7. Virtual Venom

Virtual Venom Well-Known Member

I've used this for gears and joints. Never had any issues.

Attached Files:

8. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

Just to be clear; I'm not saying that the scenario that was presented by ToyDojo is accurate or even really plausible. All I'm saying is that it could be a possibility but because of the silence from DX9 everything we can muster to think of is a possibility.

Why I'm typing so much is the decision that one would no longer purchase from ToyDojo over perceived American exceptionalism stemming from a few sentences in an email. An email that was an A-B conversation that was shared, and appropriately so because it was helpful, to C-D-E-F etc. If it's an infraction it's minor in the grand scheme.

When Graviter came out, myself and several others, purchased from Baba. While people were receiving their Sludge several of us had tracking numbers that for over two weeks weren't going live while Baba was claiming they were shipped and to please be patient. Speculation was that either the Chinese post simple didn't scan them but considering that once they were scanned it was as "Acceptance" scan or Baba over sold and some of us basically had preorders that were yet to be fulfilled. I wasn't pleased and contemplated not ordering from him again. Everything worked out. A month later I ordered from him despite what I had said and I'm currently awaiting a third package to arrive on this side of the journey.

In other words, everyone slips up in someone else's opinion. ToyDojo has been good to their customers. If this is the one thing...well, it's not much a thing. In my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

geez.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... " TFW2005 Supporter

I did some research and verified it's okay, I would use hobby lubricant also.

11. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... " TFW2005 Supporter

Here's a picture of my Gabriel package as it was upon arrival. Most, if not all, of my Show.Z boxes come wrapped this way. The Gabriel box was inside a cardboard box that was pretty much fit to spec. It was dry as a bone. The outside of my Gabe box, dry as a bone. Inside of Gabe box was cool and felt like it was outside in cool humid conditions. Inside the styrofoam? Wet. That only happens from condensation. If it was rained on, or soaked otherwise, outer box, and Gabe box would have been more affected.

[​IMG]

Eddie at ToyDojo is awesome, by the way.

• Like Like x 7
  12. RavenousPrime

RavenousPrime Fantasy Author

It's only a matter of time now. I'm glad to be aware of these issues.

13. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There wouldn't be a yellow tape from US sellers. He repackages them, as do other sellers since they come in a large case of whatever fits in the size of the box used to ship them to that dealer. I've helped to un-package some figures in the past when I went to buy whatever was out at that time the very day he got them in. Realistically, you should only see that yellow tape if your buying from China sellers like Baba or Show Z, possibly even on WJ, KBB, or similar products, as those companies like to use a brown box to cover the main product box inside.

Typically from what I've seen with 3p products, they are wrapped in a clear baggy. I think sellers sometimes remove these to grade the boxes and never put them back on before they reach us. This is why ask other collectors here if the box that DX9 comes in, not the one its shipped to you in, shows water stains anywhere, as well as the instructions because both of those items are not in the styrofoam. You get an idea if the water is from within or out.

In the end, nothing posted here is going to solve this mystery, except DX9 commenting on it but it may point to what is causing the paint issues or even the joints or maybe not and its really a DX9 factory flaw. Glad to hear one seller already stepping it up and I have no doubt others will follow. Just contact them and give them time to respond, as your probably not the only with this issue and they have to deal with DX9 response time too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's my (impossibly stupid) new theory:

DX9 mentioned one of their delays was due to issues with the box. If that meant the figures couldn't be boxed at the factory where they were made, perhaps they were packed up into their styrofoam and transported elsewhere for boxing/shipping. That would explain the exposure to moisture, but also the physical damage to the styrofoam we're seeing (which itself is odd, given the lack of corresponding damage on the box itself).

• Like Like x 5
  15. TheSciolist

TheSciolist Member

My hypothesis is that at some point during manufacture, after some models had been put in styrofoam but not sealed, the stiffness in the joints in other models was discovered. This led to the instruction: ‘lubricate the arms’ (meaning lubricate the arm joints) which was then interpreted extremely literally when a factory worker did exactly that.
    This would explain all of the wet arms.

• Like Like x 1
  16. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Somebody on Reddit asked me to share a picture of him with CW Devastator, I'll also include it here :) 

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  17. MP Collector

MP Collector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you ever interacted with Eddie, you would realize he is one of the most reasonable of people you are likely to encounter in your life. Guys like Eddie are what make the more negative elements of this fandom bearable.

These comments from hellex are ridiculous.

• Like Like x 10
  18. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For those interested, here's my email (and response) from Mike over at BBTS regarding Gabriel's QC issues:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I was wondering what all the fuss was about until I realized that I had put hellex on my ignore list ages ago. Apparently it was a wise decision. :D 

Eddie is definitely one of the best parts of the fandom in my opinion. Such a stand up guy with amazing communication and customer service!

• Like Like x 10
  20. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree 100%. Eddie is the best retailer I've ever dealt with. Courteous, responsive, and willing to go out of his way for his customers.

• Like Like x 3