DX9 D12 Gabriel (not Omega Supreme)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, May 28, 2017.

1. cultofkraken

cultofkraken Cybertronian Metalhead

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    One last question, anyone have a silicone lubricant brand they think is best? I was thinking of going with Jigaloo. Anyone have any better suggestion? The Walmart Lubricant has pretty good reviews and is pretty cheap but I am just weary of making sure I do no damage.

2. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sadly moving toward the idea of scrapping my pre-order.

I've been in love with Gabriel since the first day it was revealed. He looks like the perfect Omega Supreme. I cancelled my T/G pre-order for him. When all of the video reviews showed off a gorgeous and (seemingly) well-built figure, I put the last of my doubts aside and let the hype wash over me.

Who would have thought DX9 would show up drunk to the last quarter of the game and blow the whole thing?

I feel like I'm an E.R., waiting for a patient to be wheeled in so I can perform triage. I'm perfectly capable of opening him up, drying him off and lubing up some ratchets. But is this guy going to have mold I can't reach? Are the springs and screws going to rust a month or two down the line because of the water that was introduced? None of us know. And with BBTS orders still presumably en-route, they're going to be sealed up with all that moisture much longer than the samples people are dealing with now.

I reached out to BBTS to see how they plan to handle the problems with this guy. Will post their response here, for those that are interested.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Vwfan88

Vwfan88 Autobruh

i'll try the fitting

• Like Like x 1
  4. jream

jream PRO DESIGN TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool thx!
    Shot u a pms

• Like Like x 1
  5. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

i think not all silicone sprays are equal when it comes to how they react to plastic. Those with petroleum in them can actually break the plastic down, so be careful with what you use.

From what i've been able to find, a 100% silicone spray should be ok on plastic. I've seen people on the internet mention no issues using something like airsoft silicone spray with plastic. I just ordered 'UTG Airsoft Cleaning Silicone Spray, 50ml' for gabriel when he arrives, to try out.

Of course anyone who has done this already or knows better about the risks of silicone sprays, feel free to correct me. This is just what i've found with 20 minutes of googling.

Edit: just noticed you may have been referring to silicone grease insead of spray. Apparently brands used for RC car shocks are considered safe. Grease also doesn't seem to be as prone to the issues of petroleum etc like in the sprays. Again, someone can correct me where i'm mistaken, but that's the trend i've seen discussed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. cultofkraken

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks for that! Yeah I was looking around but unable to find anything super specific. I was looking into either the grease or spray, probably will go for spray as it may be easier to apply. I’ll go with something that has minimal/no petroleum just have to find a brand that is readily available in Canada.

7. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a shit storm this has turned into!?

Whoever is their business strategist should be flogged because this from the get-go was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen in business. First of all, FT have a reputation which far precedes theirs, in fact I'll take it a bit further and say FT is almost analogous to TT in the sense that when TT drops their figure the door is pretty much slammed shut on that character, in a sense FT is almost the same, when they do a figure it's pretty much slamming the door on the character for other third parties. How many times have you heard the ol' "I'll wait for FT to do it!" when a figure drops....it tells you what people think of FT relative to other third parties. And to give you a sample of how true it is about TT slamming doors shut on characters when they have their take on a character....just look at TT's Hot Rod for instance, whilst he isn't the definitive Hot Rod for most he does what he's supposed to do...fill in a blank. And even FT knows this, that's why their version of Hot Rod has been clearly been put on the back burner. With the exception of a few Hot Rod and FT fanboys they know the audience and demand is very limited for that figure hence their reluctance to release their after TT's.

DX-9 ignored FT's reputation and still went on because in this third party game being first out of the gate is usually a big boost but instead of having the goods ready to go, what do they do, they announce the product undercutting FT's price and then stupidly not only give FT enough ample time to slash their price but release their goods ahead of them surrendering any kind of advantage they had. If they had taken such action in revealing their hand the product should have been pretty much ready to go and with third parties surviving off pre-orders it was pretty much an impossibility from the beginning. And now with this flood incident, it's only added insult to injury.

If DX-9's sole aim was to make FT lower the price of their figure then they succeeded but if it was was to make money which is what I'm sure they were trying to do more importantly then....what a god awful decision this venture was, I hope they bounce back though, I have yet to hear people complain about the quality of their figures and if they can improve their aesthetics to match the quality of their figures this company could become a major player in the MP game.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Msz0065

Msz0065 Well-Known Member

Just got my package in from Baba today, and I'm happy to report no damage to the box or any sign of moisture at all. Electronics work perfectly. Joints all seem fine, but forward/ back ratchets for the legs, especially the left one, is terrifyingly tight. I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to open it up to lubricate it, since it's not required for transformation anyways.

Biggest issue is the red paint on the chest, which has some bubbles on it, and some of the paint has flaked off already, Cubex style. I sprayed a lacquer coating on it so hopefully that will seal it.

If not for those 2 issues, I wouldn't have guessed there was an issue with this release, so I'm considering myself lucky for now. Let's see how it holds up to a few transformations though...

• Like Like x 2
  9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DX9 should keep producing figures if only to keep FT from becoming a monopoly. Also just because it's FT, doesn't mean I've always liked their aesthetics.

• Like Like x 3
  10. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Did you look around on the paperwork and packaging to make sure this wasn't water logged i.e. water stains? I'm all most convinced there isn't a case of them not being hit with condensation or water, if they have the same issues your describing with the paint and joints. I'm okay with being wrong but I'm starting to see a correlation here. Previous poster from yesterday didn't even have joint issues until the figure dried after finding water in and around it out of the box.

I want to believe there is stock out there without these issues but continued posts like this is frustrating. I do appreciate you letting us know about yours. It would help to here from DX9, even if its through a seller.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cultofkraken

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It’s not really that bad, and the FT release isn’t perfect either from what I hear so I wouldn’t be exalting their praise too loudly. (And I have many FT figures and I think they’re awesome)

• Like Like x 2
  12. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

"FT is almost the same, when they do a figure it's pretty much slamming the door on the character for other third parties."?
    I don't know what you are talking about here. DX9's Gabriel is better in design than FT's TG. It's the QA in some cases cause the problem.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... " TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe? But most silicone sprays will have a pretty low surface tension meaning they're pretty runny, which helps it find all the nooks and crannies, but also means it'll run down the other side thanks to gravity. One squirt on both sides and then wipe up the excess and you should be good.

14. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

No one is questioning the looks of their figure but their strategy or lack of it should I say.

Too bad it won't be reflected in their sales!?

:lol 

15. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

Well QC is important. honestly never had much of an issue w/FT's QC but Dx9's so far at least in this case has been nothing short of disastrous.

16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It looks better too. The thicker torso, neck articulation, slimmer arms and in proportion hips all put TG to shame. That's ignoring the back lean and the loose backpack.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... " TFW2005 Supporter

I did some research this morning cause all the silicone and white lithium products I was checking out all had "petroleum distillates". Apparently it's a refined version of petroleum that they use as a medium for the silicone or lithium so it's not the "active' ingredient. Anyway, it's safe to use for bots, seemingly.

Anyone with a chemistry degree want to expound further?

18. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Norm West

Norm West Well-Known Member

Exactly!

FT's zombie consumer will buy any of their products regardless of everything else.