DX9 D09 Mightron (MP Styled Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TCracker, Jul 27, 2016.

1. CoRDS

CoRDS Well-Known Member

Apollyons hands do not attach with a mushroom peg (have both of them in hand right now )

update, Dx9 mightrons hands end with a male mushroom peg as part of the hand

the KFC ones end with the female mushroom socket
    so you could probably attach hands to hands but well that would look weird.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

I've been back and forth between Mightron and Despotron a few times now (having seen none of them in person, however) and decided to pick up Mightron.

I know this is extremely individual, but here's my reasoning/comparison:

Weak points, Mightron:

- No curbed shins
    - Holes in legs and arms
    - Trigger kibble on back
    - limited hip swivel

Strong points, Mightron:

- Pretty much everything else, especially:
    - Overall proportions look awesome
    - Face and helmet spot on
    - Fusion cannon correctly proportioned (the way it collapses is pure genius)

Weak points, Despotron:

- Face, especially the helmet
    - Legs look too wide and chunky
    - Overall proportions look a bit off to me, especially legs and upper arms
    - Kibble around hips looks strange

Strong points, Despotron:

- Curved shins
    - No holes in legs/arms
    - No back kibble
    - Hip swivel

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

Oh man! That last picture! Perfection. I don't think this Megatron will ever be surpassed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Well, I can't argue with your logic there. Just wanted to tell you that I had the exact same bullet points in my head in favor of DX9 when I was in the market for just one. I decided to get both. If I had to send one back I have to say, now it would be Mightron. This was surprising to me but since we had nearly identical thought process on it....figured I would chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

[​IMG]

Received an awesome package today !!!
    Haven't had much of a chance to mess around with em, but man, just on looks alone I was blown away with Mightron.

He just looks like Megatron !!!
    Everything from the matte color, to the head just look so good !!! And his proportions look fantastic !!! All those holes and pegs and whatever else just fade away like they're not even there, they're barely noticeable !!

Despotron also looks good, but he doesn't have the same allure as Mightron, doesn't have that style.. Maybe it's too much Anime ? Or the legs just look a little stumpy, like how Quakewave did !!

So if I had a choice and could only keep one ???
    Mightron !!!!
    He just looks the part, no doubt about it !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    nice catch. I assume the photographer just used the clone tool in photoshop to cover them up. usually there's quite a bit of photoshopping in the product shots/glamor pics, just hard to discern what is what til we actually have the product in hand.

why we always get those *final product may vary* disclaimers so the complaints can be kept to a minimal.

7. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, pretty much agreed. I have both and they're two absolutely top draw figures. Mightron is definitely stronger in a couple of respects, but overall it's Despotron that will stay in my collection regardless. Mightron might get moved on if Takara's is announced, however.

8. jetrobo

jetrobo Well-Known Member

I agree with the posts above, many of the visual flaws on Mightron seem to disappear when you have him in hand. Once I got the 'con symbol on his chest, I was just mesmerized at finally having an accurate G1 Megs transforming toy in hand. It's a feeling I don't think I'd ever get with Depsotron, despite how cool a toy he is in his own right. Mightron's proportions, face and semi-matte silver paint are just perfect for the look. Also, the transformation swivel on each hip allows you to give him the appearance of a slightly swiveled waist without using the actual waist swivel below the hip skirts.

That said, I had to trim the ratchet teeth on the knee joints to achieve perfectly straight legs (see my post on previous page). I'm also still debating on how to cover up the shins while avoiding partsforming. I've already cut and filled the pegs and holes. I may just get some gunmetal vinyl automotive detailing sticker to cover up all the shin panels and call it a day.

Oh, for those not planning on transforming him back and forth, you can just unscrew the trigger guard and pop it off the backpack.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GeneralLeeSpkng

News Credits:
    Two questions
    Will the hole plugging affect transformation?
    If so, why the concern about partforming?

10. jetrobo

No, there are still 3 tight pegs to keep the legs together. I merely eliminating 2 extra peg points that aren't needed. Mightron seems to have a lot of un-needed peg points that make transformation a PITA.

11. GeneralLeeSpkng

News Credits:
    Ok I see. May have to look into following suit then. A finished product would be cool to see if your so inclined.

12. jetrobo

Sure thing. Just need to find the free time between work and family stuff, so it may take a few days. I may also try extending the bottom of the shins to give a more curved appearance - just enough so it doesn't affect the forward ankle tilt too much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Knight Prime

Knight Prime QC 33

Some like the heavily Dreamwave comic inspired Despotron, some like the more G1 inspired Mightron. Either way they both have a place, and they are both fantastic. Happy collecting!

14. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

Great pictures everyone. The arm pit area and forward mounted knee's were something I couldn't look past. Unfortunately this means I didn't buy this and didn't get the Sword/scythe that came along. If anyone doesn't want theirs please shoot me a PM with a reasonable price. Terror needs his weapon.

15. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mightron's head and face is spot on from the front. However from an agle it looks like his face is "flat" like the jaw line isn't quite there.

17. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

Gah you're right. Sorry for the misinformation. Hopefully someone makes better hands (and maybe a silencer and stock kit).

18. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

19. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

This is where I'm leaning. I think Despotron looks like an amazing G1 Megs inspired toy, but it doesn't necessarily look like G1 Megs to me. I still may pick it up though. It just looks like a fun bot. Mightron seems to look the part a bit more. There are definitely some off-putting parts to the figure, but it the upper body, lanky proportions, and face look like the Megatron I remember as a kid. This is what I'm ultimately going for in my collection. It's all personal taste of course, and I think we're damn lucky to have two really great options right now (and maybe a third if the TT proto is the real deal). I was never that happy with my Apollyon, so I'm hoping one of these newer options will wow me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine in hand today.

My dislike of the lower portion of the figure did not go away with getting him in hand. Why are his knees at the front of his legs pointing at his toes?

I can only assume whatever they had planned had to be changed because the original line art looked like they where on track with what to go for.

The back kibble doesn't bother me, it their but for whatever reason just doesn't bother me or how I felt it may have from pictures and video.

I love the feeling and the build but I'm not so hot on the actual bot itself. For everything one good thing it does or displays there is an equally bad is the best way I can describe how this guy makes me feel.

I like him, but not as much as I excepted is a good summary I suppose.

The number one thing i DO love is how solid he feels, It trumps everything else for me in this figure.

FWIW I don't think any of the current third party megs look like g1 sunbow megs. This guy defiantly has the DX9 "blocky style" to it above all else.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016