Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Spin-Out, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

So, erm, I think we have a WH40K thread somewhere here, so I guess I could make a thread about D&D/Pathfinder/GURPS/Shadowrun/World of Darkness/whatever. So yeah, post war stories (the funnier the better), your favorite characters you've played, and other stuff.

Recently I was at a convention and I learned aasimar were finally available in D&D adventurer's league official play. I've been wanting to play an aasimar cleric named Talis for a long time now. She's an optimistic and very strange person who seems to come straight from Cloudcuckooland, although she's not stupid - I'm not playing her as a kender. She's actually kind of like Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon, I guess.

So I played as her, but I didn't get to do much roleplaying since the session was all about combat. Anyway, the session involved shrunken goblins and a shrunken hill giant, a half-orc barbarian named after the leader of Team Skull from Pokemon Sun and Moon, the other cleric in the party running away in the middle of a battle, a corpse used as a bludgeoning instrument by said barbarian, the same corpse later being used as a light source by replacing its severed head with a lantern, a quacking goblin, a peanut butter covered potion of healing (and by that I mean the bottle itself was covered with peanut butter), and Talis having the worst aim with her crossbow.

It was honestly pretty hilarious.

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was a DM for years before the DnD rules got all wonky.
    Well, maybe not wonky, but I didn't feel like re-learning the system.

Anyway, during one particular all night session, I was DM'ing for a few of my closest friends at the time. They ran into a Dracolich. Yeah, an undead dragon. I know huge encounters like that are supposed to be super rare, but the party was pretty strong and I figured I'd give them a challenge.
    Anyway, we had a psionist in the group. The player was this over-privileged rich guy. He was nice, but man he couldn't take criticism.
    The fight commenced, and he rolled the same initiative as the dragon. They both fired, he with a psyonic blast and the dragon with it's breath weapon. He rolled a natural 20, which was an insta-kill. Unfortunately the dragon also hit, killing the character.
    Now here's where it gets fun.
    The player starts freaking out, saying his insta-kill would have prevented the breath weapon from hitting. I, as DM, said he killed the dragon but not the already launched acid. He starts screaming that it's not fair and that he rolled a 20. I said you can stop a killer, but not the bullet.
    At this point, he throws his dice, stomps around the table and is almost near tears.
    The rest of us are trying our best to not laugh out loud at his tantrum.
    SO, I did what any good DM would do and let him live at one hit point.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If this counts our group plays the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (PACG)...not your classic RPG but for my small group (3 members) we can all play as the adventurers and not have to have a person be the DM...also with the cards its cool to see actual pictures on the cards of the boons and monsters you reveal...we do however print custom character sheets so we can personalize our character's name/gender/race...I've never been on board with Pathfinder's stock characters as their setups just seem awkward...we've played through Rise of the Rune Lords and are now about to start Wrath of the Righteous...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

I played PF at a convention once. I played a fighter, and I somehow was the only sane man of the party. In other words, I ended up becoming Roy from Order of the Stick, but with hair.

5. saitoh155

saitoh155 Seeker

Just recently got in playing D&D with some friends. Its been a blast. Especially since none of us take it so seriously as to throw fits about anything that happened. Really fun times.