Dumb transformers questions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Nov 19, 2020.

1. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    With Optimus Prime, you usually see other Autobots held him in high regards or even at the very worst, begrudgingly respects him.

But what if the opposite happens, where the MC (Or the main cast) in another story having a grudge against Optimus Prime with justified or reasons that make sense.

Like said, some "collateral damage" caused by the previous series' MC makes the current MC hates him, or prior MC is responsible (directly or indirectly) for the death of someone the current MC cares about.

Maybe if it's something like the siblings of Tracks and Needlenose turned out in opposite sides of the conflict, but does wishes that things turned out differently and wishes for a day where they can put aside the need to see others as "enemies" and reunite as brothers once again... only for Optimus Prime to kill Needlenose who was already surrendered, unfortunately making Tracks hates Optimus Prime and holds a venomous grudge against him after this?

Would this be a stupid idea? Or could it be a morbid, but interesting POV to explore Optimus's actions, fully prove this character is capable of making mistakes where no matter how well-intentioned he was, it doesn't change the fact that every single enemy he takes down is still someone else's family and friends that they care about?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kaleb Hart

Kaleb Hart Walking, talking, rearranging furniture

Pretty cool premise, it's effectiveness would vary depending on the characterization of Prime (ex: dad-bot G1/ Cyberverse or grim, cold-blooded Bayverse) especially with something like your scenario, but has great overall potential.

3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    What was Red Alert up to during Energon?

4. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    I like this a lot. It reminds me of my own Prime:

My series' Optimus wasn't always a hero. Early in his youth he was a fearsome warmonger who earned himself the nickname "Nemesis" because of how monstrous his actions were.

As he grew up, he began to realize the errors of his ways and reformed himself. In his reformation, he was tapped by Sentinel Prime to become his apprentice. He started out as Nemesis but transformed (pun intended) into Optimus Prime.

He easily rallied support from Autobots after Sentinel was killed in battle by Megatron. They were too young to know about his past, and there was no reason for Prime to reveal them either (what was he gonna say anyway? "Hey kids, did you know I was a serial killer when I was 20?") - but all things will come to light eventually.

They always do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He escaped through the Funpub portal before the shitty CG could catch him.

• Like Like x 3
  6. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Solid choice on his part.

7. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    Coincidentally enough, the character of Sky Convoy I thought of a while ago does has a similar idea going on. Raised as nothing but a “living weapon” to exterminate all Decepticons and anyone associated with their movements by Impactor with the name Rotorstorm as a Wrecker, Rotorstorm eventually founds out the various crimes the Wreckers has done in the name of "Hunt Down Decepticons remnants" and Impactor who he used to admired was a psychopath murderer that manipulated him to commit crimes against his moral code.

Grievously injured and near-death after a brutal confrontation against Impactor that leads to the defunct of the Wreckers, Rotorstorm was founded and repaired by a group of human and Cybertronian volunteers into a completely new form. He started out loathed his new body (that he started out could barely control, let alone transform and fly) After fully recovered and gone through a rehab that allows him to regain some basic body control, he rejoins the Autobot as a new cadet with a new identity called Whirl.

Having self-doubt about if he's still worthy of being an Autobot after the crimes he committed (and loathed his new body that he could barely control), Whirl was put under command of a high-rank female human Lieutenant called Mikaela Faireborn who has an excellent judge of character. Mikaela guided Whirl the entire time he was a cadet, teaches him all about copping with his new cybernetic body, the responsibilities of being a hero, and becomes the "parent figure" that provided him with love and support as "Whirl" learn to love, he learns about being selfless, good-hearted, and seemingly he has abandoned his past for a better future... until Impactor (Who now goes completely insane and a hunted criminal) comes back to take revenge on the Autobots for seemingly branded him a war criminal. Whirl was no match for his former commander and was almost killed, only to be saved by Mikaela that caused her to sustain fatal injuries by Impactor. During her last moments, Whirl's beloved lieutenant just calmly assures him that she genuinely believes that he can be a "greater Super-Autobot that ever lived" before being caught in her mech's explosion that kills her for good.

Out of pure rage and venomous hatred... Whirl almost kill Impactor to the point of "overkill" and goes against everything Mikaela stood for, only to stop at the last second after remembering that this wasn't what his dead mentor would've wanted him to become. Unfortunately, this horrible realization that he failed to fulfill his deceased mentor's wishes by striking down Impactor with nothing but venomous hatred and spite, makes him immediately endures sudden traumatic stress as he collapses in front of the near-death Impactor.

After this, Sky Convoy would never be the same anymore and this "trauma conga" filled life left him nothing but an empty, traumatized shell of his former self who only remained with the Autobots and does his job because "that's all he's good at", thinking that he would ways been a "weapon" that brings destruction and nothing else...

All of which makes it more baffling that Ultra Magnus would choose him of all people to be the next "Convoy", with the name of "Sky Convoy", until a bizarre "isekai" adventure alongside a small group of other Autobots as he befriends others in said new world, forming deep friendship and bond with new friends and allies, defending said world from a deadly genocidal A.I. alongside his new friends and comrades, and finally confesses about his horrifying, traumatizing past to his new friends and comrades.

Thanks to his new friends and comrades, Sky Convoy finally learns to forgive himself, stop seeing himself as nothing but a "weapon", becoming the hero that his deceased lieutenant says he could become, and earns the title of "Sky Convoy".

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you guys think of my custom RoTB scourge? image.jpg
    If you mention anything about a flaming goatee I will dropkick you in the face

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Erwin

Erwin Well-Known Member

wow, that’s quite the tale. I really like current IDW Whirl and so prefer him as a separate character, but the storyline is pretty good. I’d buy that comic!

One question I need answered though. I realize English may not be your first language, and I understand what you mean with this one phrase, but what in the world is a ‘trauma conga’? All I can think of is some weird 80’s therapy with tropical dancing to cure shell shock…

10. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    You're slowly getting a bit better at this, but what I've said about your customs a while ago still remains the same.

Not sure what type of paint you use, but a paint finish like that still wasn't ideal (Both looks-wise, and durability as paint job of such quality could get chipped easily). I would suggest slowly applying thin layers of paint, wait for each coat of paint to fully dry by touch at least, then repeat that until a smooth, consistent paint finish was achieved (Rather than painting one thick paint layer at one time).

Doing it like that may seem like "extra work", but it’s perfectly fine to go slowly and coat by coat until you get the saturation/coverage you want because you can always add more later until you’re satisfied with the finish; It’s always harder to remove too much paint than it is to add paint for more complete coverage. It's more time-consuming, but a worthy trade-off in the flavor of a nicer-looking custom that would stand the test of time much better in the long run IMO.

I would also suggest getting some primer surfacer spray paint and a hobby topcoat. Spray the figure you want to paint with the Primer Surfacer before you do any painting (No need to paint a thick layer, a thin layer of primer would be enough). Primer Surfacer is ideal for ensuring better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional protection for the material being painted.

For hobby topcoats, the finish you choose also depends on the finish you wanted for your finished custom. There are mainly 3 types: Matt/Flat, Semi-Gloss, and Gloss.

[​IMG]

• Matt/Flat top-coat is used to reduce the shininess of a build; Ideal if you want your build to have a dull, chalky finish seen on real-life military tanks and planes (But reacts poorly and creates a chalky finish when sprayed directly on clear, translucent pieces)
    • Gloss top-coat is used to give a build a shiny, polished look; Ideal if you want a build with curved features to have a glossy, smooth finish seen on real-life supercars. (But this finish also makes the finished build more delicate to touch as it can get scratched easily)
    • Semi-gloss is less common, and is used to gives a build a finish in between Flat and Gloss.
    No matter the type of topcoat you choose for your finished custom, applying them after you finished your painted builds is a good way to not only protecting your painted and panel lined parts, but also give your painted job a nice sheen and finish.

For said “Trauma Conga", I'm kinda referring to the trope of "Trauma Conga Line", where a character endures trauma after trauma.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  11. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    Why didn't someone make a TFW2005 equivalent of Gundam, something like GMW0079 (Gundam Model World 0079); Where it's like this site but for Gundam instead where people can discuss Gundam? Would it be a good idea to have this "GMW0079" site be part of the network with this site alongside TOkunation, Hisstank, etc?

Did Transformers in-universe have such things as an "Internal frame" which houses their "sparks", transformation and articulation joints; While their outer appearances are removable armor parts that can be easily replaced by spare parts when damaged?

MG-RX-78-2-Gundam-Ver.3.0-7.jpg

12. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Is rebirth a alternate route retelling since Headmasters aired earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

No
    Because the concept of headmasters originated in the west with Hasbro/Sunbow&Marvel

And as with the 1984 fictions, the Marvel Headmasters comic book mini was released 4 Months (March of 1987) before the Japanese headmasters were aired

upload_2021-8-6_16-32-20.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

To add to @Primeultra 's post, although Takara created the original toys that formed the 84/85 line up for Diaclone and Microchange (non-living, human operated mechs), Transformers is the creation of Hasbro and Marvel: Hasbro the initial idea of transforming robots fighting a war on earth, Marvel through Bob Budiansky (and Jim Shooter) the entire realisation: names, characters, abilities, story, background....

Takara had nothing to do with any of the creation process of G1 Transformers as we know it.

Thus the entire idea of the -masters, Transformers with transforming partners, was done by Hasbro. Hasbro also designed the look of these -master Transformers (that were realised as toys by Takara) and then gave this concept idea with designs to Bob Budiansky (the Marvel writer) who came up with the names, characters and abilities of these -masters.

In order to sell these toys, Takara then adapted the Hasbro idea and toys for their own market, changing them from organic creatures that worked with Transformers, to small transformers that operated lifeless bodies. It just so happens that in animation, Headmasters aired before Rebirth (but after the Marvel publication).

Per definition, everything Takara did with G1 is an alternate take on what Hasbro did. Only when we get to original Takara designs like with Victory do we get Takara ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  15. rexemuwu

rexemuwu A nightmare opponent powered by pure hate

Dark Matrix Thunderwing vs Galvatron II
    Who do you guys think would win?

16. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    I've posted this exact same post of mine I posted in this thread on the r/gundam subreddit, and the comments from r/gundam have some interesting insights and notes as to why there are such different reactions to AUs among the Transformers and Gundam fandom.
    • By the time Gundam came to the west and globally, Gundam already having AUs and one of them was the most prominent piece of the franchise here for ages. So for the vast majority of the audience in the west, Gundam AUs are par for the course.
    • Gundam fans don't get upset about AU's since all of the Gundam AUs are original stories, each one having its own set of original characters, history, and even physics which never conflicted with other AUs and UC.
    • Despite sharing the same core "War is hell" theme, all of the AUs are completely different from each other and UC setting-wise; To the point where the only thing all of these shows have in common is that a mobile suit called "Gundam" was in it.
    • Globally, the west got Wing and SEA got SEED, all of which are AUs as their first major introduction to the Gundam franchise. Starting off with AUs makes it easier to approach the main Universal Century canon as outsiders; So it’s hard to act like Gundam fans are “above” enjoying AUs.
    • The mainline UC Gundam not following a hard canon, just a main continuity which is free to retcon itself if it works better.
    • All of the Gundam AUs are popular in their own right; with their fair share of fans (Even some of the less popular AU shows like AGE or Reconguista has a small number of fans who enjoyed them), so there’s a love for them that doesn’t overlap with UC.
    What do you think about these comments from the r/gundam users? If this franchise uses similar methods to develop its AUs, would this fanbase would be more welcoming to the idea of Transformers having AU series?

17. Rapidfirestormer

Rapidfirestormer Not Even Remotely Dorky

Now who was this intended for?

• Like Like x 3
  18. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    How does this dumb edit of [COVER] KING - Kanaria [Starscream] makes you feel?

Starscream King Cover edit.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    I love it, because I get the reference.

20. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

I think fans that grew up after G1 like Beast Wars, RID, Unicron Trilogy, movie-verse, Animated & Prime are like this since they were introduced by the Transformers equivalent of AU.

I like it, I just recently found out about the song last month.