Dumb question but did the film explain what happened with Galvatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sign, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not necessarily defending it but this is how these movies have always been. I enjoy them but I knew before ever seeing TLK that there would be no explanation for new bodies or mention of specific events from past movies. And yeah, Energon was pretty bad, so is G1, Armada, Cybertron and 2001 RID by most people's standards but every one sure loves to bash these movies and act like its the worst TF series ever.

2. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there's plenty of flaws in these movies but you just seem stuck on the weakest one. He was never shown dead on screen and the writers figured he was popular so they brought him back. A new body is not a big deal with Transformers, you've been shown enough times how it happens in the movies with Prime and Bee, do you really need to see Barricade scan a new car to figure it out?

3. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Why did Jason have such long finger nails in Part 4 if it takes place only hours after Part 3?

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Based on how Megatron knew all about Unicron and the medallion, worked with Quintessa, and bore the red scar, it's implied that he was reformatted by Quintessa. Personally, I like that they left clues withought outright stating how he got his body. They don't explain how he managed to come in contact with her though.

Assuming this is how he got a new body, it annoys me that they didn't use this opportunity to have Quintessa change Primes old body to the current one. At least we'd have an explanation. Most of the bots who go drastic body changes have some sort of reason why.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Yes. It was magic. I wish I was kidding.

6. Dark Skies

Dark Skies Autobot Megatron

Or you can make sense of what we've been given instead of assuming that there was an issue preventing him from reappearing every movie. Based on his habit of disappearing, he seems very cowardly. He reappeared in DOTM because he thought the Decepticons would win, got his eyes shot out and got damaged, but escaped. Because of the damage, he repaired himself and got a new alt-mode which altered his robot design too. It's not very hard to comprehend unless you just aren't wanting to.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

cowardly or smart? barri knows when the fight is won & lost...any other decepticon would have tried to bullrush the medallion in tlk, but barricade was wise enough to realize he would have gotten killed had he attempted it & plotted to fight another day!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dark Skies

He could be either smart or cowardly. We haven't really seen enough of him to know. Seems like a little bit of both to me.

9. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

he also has a penchant for getting his ass kicked to be fair...he aint the biggest bot ya know? you know what really annoys me? how the heck did he get to london? i can't see zeus or megatron carrying him the whole way there..

10. Super Bumblebee

Super Bumblebee Autobot

Instagram:
    While it wasn't explained in the movie, I think the most simplest explanation is the most obvious: Galvatron was the name given to a robot built by KSI with Megatron's mind uploaded to it. Now that Megatron revealed himself, he just went back to using his old name again. Just like if you suddenly found yourself in someone else's body, you would eventually start using your own name instead of theirs. In terms of his appearance and transformation, remember that transformium is programmable matter that KSI was just learning how to use; transformers have been using it forever to naturally change their appearance and alt mode. Presumably, Megatron used it to just reformat his new body to look closer to his old appearance, much in the same way Optimus changed his robot and alt mode midway through Age of Extinction. Being in control of his new form, he can now transform regularly, not "reassembling" in the way KSI had him transform.

The real reason, of course, is not to confuse the audience. Why use two names for the same character? Hasbro also probably wanted them to keep using "Megatron" as well, since it is now practically a household name.

As for Barricade, one of two explanations: Barricade was only severely injured in Chicago, and was eventually rebuilt with 90% new parts, or this Barricade is not the same as the other one; it could be a new Decepticon who assumed the original Barricade's identity and alt mode (I suspect the former.)

..or maybe it's really Prowl, working deep undercover!:) 

11. Dark Skies

I wondered that too. Could have hitched a ride on a ship I guess... It's one of those things that wasn't meant to be questioned.

As for Galvatron becoming Megatron, why would he continue using a name the humans gave him?

12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Nope.
    Off screen like dozen of other things

13. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

The idea of characters coming back to life is stupid and lazy to begin with. In ROTF they made a big deal about how Megatron was brought back, but the real lesson about the audience care was learned -- if audiences accept the stupidity of characters being brought back to life, they probably don't have the discernment to care how they are brought back to life either, so it's a waste of time explaining it. For Barricade, who cares how? We've already accepted the dumbass premise that Transformers can come back to life, how it happens doesn't make it happening less stupid.

Carry that forward to the idea if audiences don't care that characters are brought back to life or how, they probably aren't going to care how Megatron came back to life as Megatron rather than Galvatron. In the end, it's just a name anyways and arbitrary. He came back and decided to call himself Megatron again. What other reason could it be worth delving in to?

If you are going to accept characters coming back to life constantly, who really gives a shit how it happens or what they call themselves when they do? An explanation for a stupid concept doesn't make it less stupid and is a waste of time.

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Because the Megatron in TLK is not AoE Galvatron. He doesn't look like him, act like him or transform like him. Bit maybe he is...he has his voice. But Lennox says he recognizes Megatron's voice from the first movie...so voices apparently don't need to be consistant either? For all we know, a Decepticon stole Megatron's head from the humans and rebuilt him...a much more likely scenario than Megatron being Galvatron. But then that means Galvatron is running around SOMEWHERE....................................and this is why you give a damn about continuity in sequels.

15. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the versions of TLK has Megatron tell Optimus (as he is stealing the staff) that Quintessa knew Megatron was stronger than Optimus, which is why she also had Megatron look for the staff. Its pretty much inferred from that that Quintessa gave Megatron his upgrade. I don't know why this wasnt kept in the US version of the film, but it explains a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AoE was pretty firm on stating that Galvatron is Megatron. I don't know why people keep saying otherwise. Y'all make shit more complicated than what it really is.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nothing in these movies are meant to be questioned because there exists no answers to them.

Probably because he proudly blurted it out as his first declarative statement of his sentience.

Otherwise why wouldn't he have said "I am Megatron!" when he wrecked up KSI? If he really hated the name, that would've been the place to reassert his Megatron-ness.

Just about everyone ever.

Your thinking is remarkably flawed: the only reason people accepted Megatron and Optimus coming back to life is because big deals were made about it. They showed us and explained how they returned. That's like saying because any movie that features sci-fi elements is already breaking our suspension of disbelief the movies cna just to any ridiculous shit they want and nobody would care, which is ridculous. Plenty of movies feature ressurection and it's not stupid, because they make a point of explaining how it happens. Hell, a good chunk of ROTF was dedicated to trying to bring Optimus back.

But where's that for Barricade? Did he also use the Matrix of Leadership? Or a fragment of the Allspark? Or trick KSI into building him a new body? You have to explain how things happen to characters, it's film-making 101. I dare say it's the entire point of movie making to depict a sequence of events with beginnings, middles, and endings. If you're not going to explain how he came back from the dead, show us that he didn't die in the first place, or don't bring him back at all. It's not that Barricade is back, it's that he's back without explanation, and your excuse that they explained previous returns and so nobody cares is completely nonsensical. Nobody cared because they were explained, and thus it wasn't a plot hole.

Ditto Megatron, you have to explain why he is Megatron again and transforms normally because becoming Galvatron was a big deal and explained to us in detail. Did it make any real life sense? No, but the movie at least acknowledged it was a thing that happened. Why explain one and not the other? Why not explain why he works for Quintessa now? Or how they met? These are normal everyday aspects that would be the focus of entire scenes in a real movie, completely ignored in this nonsensical piece of shit.

18. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Story and characterization consequences? In a Michael Bay movie? HA HA HA HA HA!!!

19. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

He kicked the crap out of Barricade, was chosen to protect the single most important human on the planet, and more or less one-shot killed Brawl.

Not sure where your portrayel of him from TF comes from.

Bumblebee has been portrayed as an excellent, albeit arrogant and immature, fighter since the first movie.

20. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I disagree. Characters dying and coming back to life is a lazy plot device used to contrive drama. It isn't unreasonable for filmmakers to conclude that an audience that accepts lazy and uncreative storytelling will accept even lazier storytelling with less creativity. Dying and then just reappearing is just a little farther down the lazy, uncreative storytelling scale than dying and showing how they come back, but they are both on the same scale.

If I'm the filmmakers and my audience has shown me that they are already accepting one stupid and lazy idea, I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that, at some point, they don't need yet another stupid explanation for how that stupidity is possible.

The audience has accepted lazy and uncreative storytelling for four movies, they don't get to now complain that it's too lazy and uncreative as if they a discerning audience. The audience created this.