Duh, they didn't talk as vehicles.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Prowl, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched the movie this weekend again (finally got around to downloading an HD copy on Live).

I loved the movie from day one, but I just came to a realization of something that had never occured to me before.

They never talk in their vehicle modes. The decepticons do, when they are coordinating their attacks,

But the Autobots never talk to eachother in car mode. That, not only would have been easy to do, but would have given a bit more "screen time" to the characters we love.

Like when Jazz is parked like a horrible friend in front of a legless bumblbee and Sam is pushing him back to give the Bee more room, any line would have worked well, like "Hang in their bumblebee", or when Ironhide is driving towards Devastator, a "I picked a hellova a day to get out of stasis lock".

Obviously I'm not a writer, but they could have thrown in some good lines in there. It's what nagged me, that as much as I believed that those vehicles were autobots, them talking would have sold the point even more.

2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think some more parts where the cars could have talked was when the 'bots were camped in car mode in the back yard. It would've been funny to hear Prime give orders to the cars.

Oh well.

With the way I see it, there's nothing we can do about the live-action Transformers anymore. I'm just thankful that we got the movie we got, instead of Bay's original plan to not have the robots ever speak.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They didn't have any mouths in car mode.:) 

The Decepticons used the radio, the Autobots probably did the same. They probably just didn't show it.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I thought about that too... "He told us to hide, what does he think we are, human?"

But don't get me wrong. I love this movie, and I can't wait for the sequel, but if he wants to save money and still give us Autobot screen time, he can do no wrong by throwing in some lines while they are in vehicle mode.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well, Bay said he's warmed up a lot towards the classic behaviours of the old 'bots, so maybe that means they'll talk in the sequel.

6. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I think it was done on purpose, to cut down on confusion as to who's saying what. And to not take attention away from what's going on in the scene.

7. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I could never figure out- did Ironhide just poke his head out to say ITS STARSCREAM! and then fully transform as he stood up?

8. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Uhm I don't think that was not exactly Bay's idea, but rather... can't remember who, but he was havin' much, much worse approach to the Transformers.

I could be wrong though.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely win-win.

I think you're on to something here, f'real.

That being said, not holding my breath to see it happen, unfortunately.

10. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

They could have fit loads more dialogue (and therefore additional characterisation) for both the autobots and decepticons of they had them speak in vehicle mode.

Just imagine "die autobots" as starscream blasts overhead.

It was a missed opportunity.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Jazz just sitting there while 'bee was all mangled always seemed goofy to me too.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Wait, are you serious? Robots don't need mouths to talk. They have 'vocal processors'
    I think a voice over would have been ok in the movie, and I would have helped develop some more character development.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

That's one of the things that really bugged about the movie, their was no s**t talking during battle like in all of the other TF series.
    I don't look at it as a missed opportunity, but more like just bad writing, and bad directing imo.

14. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Yea I'm quite sure it was in fact Bay and the writers who convinced the 'upstairs' that the bots should talk.

15. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe the TFs vocal processors transform with the rest of the body. They cant use one of their arms in vehicle mode could they?

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    No but there is no way that being in alt mode would cut off communications between them, that would be absurd.

Use radios, wireless comm links I mean shit they've had the time to develop this stuff.

I agree, missed opportunities for both serious development and comedy here.

17. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Hey wait, I've only watched the movie twice and never since so I don't remember the action scenes very clearly, but did Jazz say 'C'mon Decepticon punk' while he was in car mode and charging at Brawlustator? Or was it after/while he jumped onto him?

18. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was while he was jumping on him.

And it was the studio that originally wanted the bots to stay silent, nothing to do with Bay.

Anyways on topic, I love the movie to death but the Autobots not talking in vehicle mode was definitely a minor quibble of mine.

19. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i dunno man...Homeward Bound syndrome. i think it'd just be strange to hear voices coming from nowhere

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely don't think that anyone would have been confused if they spoke in vehicle mode. Obviously direction would have had the camera focus on the autobot talking, and after establishing the characters we would know whose voice belongs to who.

I really wanted more sH@#-talking between them too. We'll see what happens in the sequel.