Dual Model Kit Optimus Prime (DMK 01)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Dally, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I saw it BBTS, and was unaware they had raised the price. Ridiculous. I would have bought it for $120. But pushing $200 is my limit. Hell, I wouldn't buy Jetwing Prime for the current price.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I only paid like $95 shipped to Canada from Ami Ami for mine when it came out. It was fun to put together but I had no spot for it in my collection so I sold it locally for like $60 I think.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, they keep jacking the price a little more each time the DMK comes back. $180 is overboard. I could get 3 or 4 Master Grade kits for that price.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not so much that it's fragile. It's cast entirely in ABS, so it's actually pretty good in that regard. It's that it's loose and floppy, and needs some serious work to even fit together properly in many places.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, from all accounts, it's nowhere near the QC level of comparably-sized Bandai kits, despite costing a few hundred percent more.

6. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right on,will rather get Jetwing OP as my 1st priority,second will be the DMK OP

7. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    My friend is in Japan right now, and hopefully he's getting me one of these. I think he's gonna settle on getting the clear version, since he can just get it off amazon and wouldn't have to go out of his way to hunt that down.

I don't particularly want the clear version but it sure is better than nothing!

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could always paint the pieces and use the decals it comes with.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    If anyone's got spare parts they're looking to get rid of from one of these guys, I'm interested in acquiring the rear view mirrors...

10. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    My friend in Japan skrewed up and I didn't get it, but I ordered the regular version myself for $160 on ebay and he came in the mail yesterday!

It's an amazing kit. It's taking forever to build, but I'm being more careful than when I used to make Gundams, cause this is more important. It's also the most expensive model kit I've ever bought (that includes a perfect grade I got once)!

So far I only have some of the chest and the under parts of one leg built, but it's looking fantastic! I'm building him with the mask-less face for now, but it looks like it won't be too hard to swap out later for the masked face.

I really wish he was cheaper. I'd buy three! One normal, one forest fight scene, and one dotm end battle scene when he's only got one arm :p  I'd also LOVE to have either a Sentinel Prime or dotm Megatron to go with him! And I would even consider the BB model kit if there was a Barricade to go with it hehe

11. hthrun

Ebay:
    I also would love to see a DotM Megatron, since we don't have a regular leader toy of him...

12. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Finished it a few minutes ago! It's truly a beautiful and stunning piece. I recommend gluing any piece that tends to come off (which is a lot of them) for a tighter feel. I didn't glue any piece that I might want to remove at some point for potential battle damaged versions though. It looks amazing even without paint! Although I intend to at least add some lines and scratches and whatnot somewhere down the line.

My main complaint is the fingers suck (they fall apart ridiculously easily). Also the main torso joint comes apart easily. But it's just so fantastic looking that I'm having trouble caring!

The dotm voyager doesn't match up well with DMK-01 :(  But deluxe BB looks good with him! If we had a leader dotm megs it'd be the perfect size, but I'd rather have a DMK of him for sure!

PS: I already broke one of the side mirrors :(  Those things are delicate as hell!

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    I'd like to get a pair of those mirrors to put on my leader Prime. I'm thinking rather than cutting off the stock ones completely, I could shave and/or drill them as needed to attach the better mirrors to him. I think that would work ok since the stock ones are just clear plastic...

14. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    isn't that a /bit/ expensive of a kit for kitbashing? :) 

(yes, that comes from the complete jealous part of me for people who can put a lot more resources than I can into this hobby heh heh)

Honestly, when I saw the kit, my first reaction was also "how can this be kitbashed into leader prime...."

15. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, that's why I just want the mirrors, not the whole kit :)  I've seen other customs where people have used a lot of pieces from the DMK kit on a leader Prime, and where they've used the model for other characters. Hopefully someone will have some mirrors left over.

I was supposed to be getting some from someone in the mail, but I don't know whatever happened to them...

16. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    You could probably make some mirrors yourself with some thin wire and a bit of flat plastic (and krazy glue).

But like I said, the DMK ones are really REALLY fragile.

PS: Does anyone who has this kit have any tips for making the fingers less likely to fall apart all the time?

17. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just got mine yesterday. Took me bout 3 hours to build it and believe me...lots and lots of frustration came with it. Eventually I will repaint this guy with heavy wear and tear but fir now, I will enjoy the way he looks now.

My 2 cents...he was pricey but so, so, so worth it.

* contact encline, he made a youtube finger fixer tutorial for this model.

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Take a tiny fast head screwdriver or a knife tip, heat it, and melt the nubs of the posts just a tad, and they should be solid.

19. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I agree it was pricey but so worth it. Between building painting and maintaining it, it's a lot of work, but it's the most amazing looking piece of transformers merchandise I've ever seen. If they don't do more of these it will be a crime!

Got a link for that tutorial?
    Thanks! I'll have to try that, although I wish I didn't have to.

Also, if anyone's interested, the clear version with the Japanese dotm bluray is only $125 including shipping to the US from amazon.co.jp. It's still expensive, but considering the clear version goes for $300 sometimes on eBay, it's a steal.

20. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's much faster and easier to use an x-acto blade to melt the finger joints. Have the knife edge screwed in, and use a flame source to heat it for 5-10 seconds. It'll flatten out the plastic in no time.