Dreamwave vs current IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Jul 2, 2021.

?

1. IDW

42.5%
  2. Dreamwave

57.5%
  1. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

Dreamwave. IDW2 forgot about all their great line artists and went to this cartoony style that I just don't like.

2. nniuqluap

nniuqluap Member

Every time I read something by IDW it bored me to death. Their art was shoddy, and their scripts were dull. I remember when I heard that they might be getting the Transformers license I knew it wasn't going to be good. I hoped that ANYONE aside from them would get it, but nope. So, until IDW goes under we are stuck with crappy Transformers stories that have little to no depth. I'm happy with reading, and rereading, and rereading my Marvel, and DW Transformers comics in order to get my occasional TFs fix. It sucks that I haven't looked forward to anything transformer comics wise since regeneration one (which was dreadful!) but that's the way it is. Some writers can go from one issue to the next without having a preexisting plan (Larry Hama) and it will come out amazing, but most (99.9%) can't. IDW never seemed to have anyone with a plan. At least Dreamwave did, and it was beyond obvious that there was a huge plan with their G1 series. Sadly, we'll never get to know what it was. IDW should have just hired the writers from Dreamwave, but they didn't. Instead we got Furman- again!... Furman hasn't really done anything of note since his original G1 Marvel run, but for some reason poeple still think he's a genius at writing TF stories. Well, he was a genius at it, but he hasn't been since 1991! Sure, he's done some decent stuff since then, but nothing ground breaking- not in the slightest.

• Like Like x 2
  3. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

They should go to Lithone.

4. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    People obviously have very different Desires in terms of what they want to see in a comic book. I personally really enjoy this run more than dreamwave because this run is actually showing me a bunch of stuff I had never seen before. I like dreamwaves too, I wish they had been able to keep going. Overall though I have to say that I did prefer the dreamwave comics because they had Superior art, all of the things considered. I do think that you guys are kind of forgetting about they're highly ridiculed house style at the time though. The very early Comics that were drawn by pat lee and Don Figueroa are much better, visually, than the micrometers and war within sequels.

5. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    The war JUST STARTED. And there have already been multiple stories set off of Cybertron, either on other planets or on space stations, and I assume we will see many more of those coming up. But it's way too early for them to go to Earth. Plus, that story has been told like five or six different times by now. This is actually a lost era from the standpoint of the fiction. It's much more interesting to me to see new territory being covered then to see the same old thing rehashed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Compared to prewar/beginning of the War for Cybertron which has basically been told the exact same way several times now.

How long before the Robots in Disguise are actually in disguise?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Really? I've read and watched every TF medium EVER and I've never seen the actual leadup to the war and its breakout covered in detail. There are broad strokes and certain incidents that were shown, sure. But NOTHING like this. We never really got a sense of what prewar life was ACTUALLY like in other media. We never got prewar xenorelations. On and on.

In almost all the "origin" stories I can think of (War Within, etc.) the war had already started, and the one exception -- Megatron Origin -- was a very different society than the one we have here. Basically in IDW1 and, arguably, Dreamwave, there doesn't seem to really have BEEN a Golden Age. Here, we get to see a "golden age" of peace, which doesn't seem that way to those who remember a PRIOR "golden age" driven by expansion and conquest.

This series definitely isn't for everybody but I find it far more interesting and unique than Dreamwave's stories. I LIKED them but they were pretty much what everyone expected from Transformers. Which is their strength. But this story is giving me a bunch of stuff I never even knew I wanted, and to me that's more interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I'd go so far as to say that there's no question Ruckley is a much better writer than anyone Dreamwave had on their books, and certainly far better at planning out a long-form story.

The flaws in the current run are serious, but people are really reaching in terms of trying to justify writing it off completely. I think whoever it was who said something like "You could hear the cartoon voices in Dreamwave" is probably closest to giving the real reason why people prefer those comics - pure nostalgia, and repetition of tropes.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    The colourists on the DW run were magicians. I saw some fan comic on Twitter the other day that was really, REALLY well coloured and my thought was “Holy shit this is good. It’s ALMOST as good as the DW TF comic.”

Dreamwave really was just the comic equivalent of “Take the G1 toy and give it articulation”. It took all the concepts of the original cartoon and comic and just retold them edgier and with modern art. Which at the time I liked, and still do appreciate it for what it is. But it’s been done, I don’t really want to see it done again. I want to see new ideas and fresh concepts.

Another criticism I’d level at the DW run is that while it’s been years since I read them, I’m struggling to think of a single character that got any meaningful development. For example I found Megatron to be very one dimensional. He was all just hate, plot, hate, destroy, hate, hate, hate, kill Wreckgar, hate, hate. Optimus was boring old Optimus. Best thing he did in the whole run was take down Devastator. Maybe Grimlock and Jetfiregot some decent development? Maybe? I’d have to read them again.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I'd say Shockwave and maybe Ultra Magnus got meaningful character development. Sunstorm became a real character for the first time. They were starting to give Jetfire some characterization but then the series ended suddenly.

I agree wholeheartedly and I think it's funny how people act like this story isn't actually really good and interesting. But it just goes to show that the same things don't float everybody's boats. I also agree that the current run has actual, serious, flaws but is far too interesting and unpredictable to just totally write off.

I agree that it really DID feel like a slightly more grown up version of the original cartoon which was its charm. Kind of like the new He-Man series. I would be happy with a TF comic (or show) that did that, but I think I like what we have now better. If it had IDW1's line artists and DW's colorists, it would be amazing. As it is, it's "merely" good.

11. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you haven't read the IDW2 comics, as the actual origin is completely different from the IDW1 comics that Prime and Cyberverse were based on. It's the first time in over 10 years that we've had a completely different origin for Decepticons and the war.

• Like Like x 3
  12. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I get that while the art in Dreamwave's art was consistent, it was pretty poor. Don was the only good artist there that i can remember. Pat Lee straight up SUCKS as an artist, a writer, and a boss so I can't support a company that does the things he does. The stories are weird retrends of the cartoon like a continuation, but its super edgy that I think diehard fans would not touch barring edgy teenagers, myself included when I was like 12. Prime was given the early stage of Bayverse Prime Syndrome with the no hesitation to kill, his dumb "humans rock" speeches, and how often he got duped by the dumbest of things. I'm super glad the stories stopped before they went all over the wall.

• Like Like x 2
  13. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

Simply put, Dreamwave was Cinematic. it was big, splashy, and built on spectacle. it treated the Transformer stories like an event. IDW made the Franchise boring. not the storylines and ideas, there were many truly great stories in the IDW reign, but in its effort to be cerebral and deep, IDW lost a lot of the Kinetic energy that Dreamwave had. I will take both completed War Within mini-series over the current IDW build-up to war.

The weird thing is, when IDW started doing Transformers I didn't like the art style it seemed a little too clean and static, However the 'ation' minis were a spark of genius, what it was, was a genre shift from action to a more Thriller setting, truly using the robots in disguise premise. there was a general build-up of tension that worked, that build-up is missing from the current IDW attempt to build towards the war on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I definitely felt sad when IDW moved away from the -ation series. It really WAS the best "robots in disguise" story. They kind of blew it all up with the AHM soft reboot and things went off the rails (in a good way) from there, starting with LSotW and culminating with MTMTE. In a way, it mirrored the larger arc of the G1 cartoon... more grounded at the outset and focused on Earth, then an explosive upending of the norm (the 86 movie) and finally a massive broadening of the universe's scope that make Earth seem, at best, a significant planet rather than the significant planet (season 3 and beyond, the Japanese continuities).

I actually loved EJ Su's art, and still do... it's like if Katsuhiro Otomo was drawing Transformers. I didn't mind it seeming somewhat static at times, they're ROBOTS. I loved his well thought out details and his cool reimaginings of the character designs. I don't think he gets enough credit for basically coming up with the Bumblebee Movie Bee's general concept, minus the Bayverse-based head.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    But who needed it? I didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deathsheadx

about IDW EJ Su's art, I believe I should correct myself here I disliked the Art Direction, not so much the Art itself. I've seen some of EJ's stuff over the years and its miles more kinetic than the stuff IDW1 was having him put out.

there's this image in Infiltration of Prowl reaming out Ratchet for interacting with the humans blowing his cover, and in the forefront of the image to the far Right, is Jazz just standing there in an absolute generic pose The Robots forms are clean and nice, everyone else is in motion or posed in a way that shows the potential for motion, yet Jazz is like a plank of wood in that scene. it takes you out of the scene a bit

that's gotta be Art direction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Yeah, but in-universe, Jazz was not only military, he was Special Forces, whereas many of the other Autobots were civilians or, like Prowl, part of the police force. He was standing at attention!

18. deathsheadx

doesn't work for me, especially since it is Jazz, one of the most kinetic G184 bots I know. and it doesn't look like a standing at attention pose.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people even used that argument back in the day, when AHM came out. With is nice and all if "comfort read" is all you want, but I kinda expect more than just "reminds me of a cartoon I saw 30 years ago". This is also why, even though I'm a huge Marvel TF fan, in the end I didn't care about ReGeneration, and even less about '84 after I read them. They didn't really offer much other than "hey guys, remember this?!".

• Like Like x 1
  20. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think IDW forgot them, I don't think they can afford them.

I'm going say this independent of any comparisons to DW, but come on, what story? I don't see one, I see things happening, things explained, but not much resembling a story. 30 plus issues and who are we emotionally drawn to? What memorable moments have there been? Remove the attachment to the characters you carry from previous media and this thing is an absolute mess.

I can't disagree with you here. I love Su's art on TF.

• Like Like x 2