Dreamwave vs current IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Jul 2, 2021.

?

1. IDW

40.7%
  2. Dreamwave

59.3%
  1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which one is better?

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I voted Dreamwave. The art had a lot to be desired which I think everybody can agree on, but the Dreamwave stories went in new directions while also keeping the characters familiar. I just find IDW2 to be tediously dull that takes itself too seriously and feels like a chore to read.

if IDW2 ended tomorrow, I wouldn't be disappointed whereas I was quite disappointed with the end of Dreamwave. Dreamwave's stories were getting stronger and more enjoyable before its sudden demise.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I really liked the art in Dreamwave. I prefer Dreamwave to both IDW continuities. For one thing, they had a better grasp of the characters especially Prowl and Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'm one of the people who read up to #30 and gave up IDW2. I was shaken by a ray of hope after reading Annual 2021, but I lost hope again after checking the preview of #31. IDW2 is full of snail-like stories and IDW1's rehash. I definitely prefer Dreamwave, which has a cliche (not cliche at the time) but has great art and canonical fun.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Ruckley is doing his best to avoid taking them to Earth. Stories on Cybertron are good, but we shouldn’t only have stories on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The war just started.

There's on reason for them to be on Earth yet.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    We don’t need a day by day telling of every single event that takes place between the war starting and them reaching Earth. The way Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW1 and the cartoon handled the pre-war events much better.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Bruh if you bothered reading words you would've known that there's a 40 cycle gap in between issue 40 and 31.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For characters who are essentially immortal, that isn't a very long time. Even then, the pacing is too slow. It's like they're trying to make it GoT.

10. darkeros

darkeros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Dreamwave for me. Art, stories, colours everthing was better. The only negative thing I remember about Dreamwave was Pat lee. Although he sucks as an company owner I always thought he was great comicbook artist.

I liked IDW Simon Furman area Stormbringer, spotlight stories but thats all.

What happened after issue 30 ? :confused: 

• Like Like x 4
  11. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    There were just another boring conversation and meaningless characters.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Ruckly did the impossible. Got me to stop reading TF books.

• Like Like x 3
  13. nniuqluap

nniuqluap Well-Known Member

I voted Dreamwave. The art, story lines and overall vibe of IDW just never jelled with me. I've gone into why I liked DW in other threads so I won't do it again here, I just wish that almost ANY OTHER company had gotten the TF license other than IDW. Hell, I'd have preferred if Devil's Due comics had gotten the license at least their Gi Joe\ Transformers tie in comics looked nice and were kind of fun. I remember talking (via email) to someone from Devils Due, and they were indeed trying to get the rights to it. Whomever I was talking to seemed to be really excited about the possibility. Alas, IDW got it, and after only a few issues I gave up hope. The art, story and overall vibe turned me off from Transformers comics for good. I have my Marvel US and Marvel UK trades and the complete run of Dreamwave comics. So, every few years that's my go to for transformer stories.

I'm actually really happy that Dreamwave is getting the praise that it is. I use to defend Dreamwave on here like you wouldn't believe. I would constantly be torn apart for it too. I understood the anger at Pat Lee, but I never understood how so many let that anger cloud their ability to see that DW Transformers was a quality comic that deserved to continue.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Like a lot of you I voted Dreamwave. Nevermind the fact that Dreamwave was my entrance to the world of TF, I just like those books a little better because they felt so close to the cartoons which I was watching alongside them. At the time I though no one could draw bots better than Lee (allegedly) but Guido proved that wrong. IDW had a great start and has done some things I liked but being a G1 slut Dreamwave just hit all the marks I wanted and still want. Granted, I do like the books Furman has done for IDW set in the Marvel Universe but I consider those Marvel over IDW.

• Like Like x 2
  15. nniuqluap

nniuqluap Well-Known Member

One of the things that I enjoyed most about DW was that when the characters spoke you could actually hear the cartoon voice coming out of them. It was really an amazing feat that no other written incarnation of Transformers has been able to capture. Of course I can't fault the original Marvel run for not being written in that manner because those characters were developed independently, but concurrently with the cartoon. So, the voices, and speech patterns were not supposed to be the same.

It was also great to have an evil logical\maniac version of Shockwave (That characterization cane straight out of the original Marvel run). Rather than the bland version from the cartoon. Marvel Shockwave has always been one of my favorite characters due simply to the fact that he was so downright evil. Having that version of Shockwave featured in DW along with the strong voice characterization of the cartoon was like having the best of both worlds.

Another cool addition was the introduction of Bumper and Gnaw into the series. As well as Sunstorm and the rest of Shockwave's cloning experiments. We most likely would have seen many of the Transformer e-hobby limited edition repaints make it into the comic, and they would have been given personalities!

I honestly get kind of bummed out thinking about all of the possibilities. Instead we got boring IDW stuff with average artwork from artists who are beyond talented, and capable of so much more than IDW will let them draw.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Amusing quote from ex-IDW employee Thomas Pratt (Kneon on Clownfish TV) - "Don't go to IDW! IDW is in worse shape than DC comics! Why would anybody willingly go to work for IDW at this point!?"

Dreamwave died a quick sudden death. IDW is dying a slow and painful death; it's becoming embarrassing watching it struggle. Their writers and artists just aren't as good as the writers and artists they used to have.

I will still read it, but I'm finding myself just not retaining the memory of details about what happened in the comic. I'm just not absorbing the story with the new comics like I can with other books. Charger and Fire Beast had a good scene but anything else, nah.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Dreamwave by a long shot. Art was mostly great, despite the obvious funny images here and there we all loathe. And while it got a bit boring, that it was mostly about war, I enjoyed it a lot more than the current comics, because things happened.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Dreamwave, if only for the art and giving characterisation to characters who basically never had any. Lookin' at you and smiling, Turbomasters.
    ...I think the Dreamwave style has influenced my own artwork a lot, honestly. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  19. CH3N7HiN

CH3N7HiN i,cyclonus

Twitter:
    His best for nothing but some brain rustly stories with highly replaceable characters. Those stories can be any other ones even they don’t need to be titled Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Agree with a lot of the criticisms of IDW2, but there's very little I find redeeming or interesting about the Dreamwave run, aside from Don Fig's art.

• Like Like x 5