Dreamwave comics mentioned as deserving of a revival

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 30, 2017.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Imprints Charming: 15 Comic Book Imprints That Need A Second Chance

"Much of the acclaim IDW has gotten for its revitalized “Transformers” comics — based on the old toy lines and cartoons, and very much in the spirit of the classic Marvel UK series by writer Simon Furman — is piggybacking off the success of Dreamwave’s own Transformers books. Lee’s canny licensing of the property prefigured its return to popularity, and he even got Furman back to pen new stories."

"There was a fannish enthusiasm for both the original and licensed books the publisher released, which has been lost with contemporary buying up of every geek-friendly franchise under the sun in order to churn out a slightly kitschy comic spin-off."

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    NO. Lee was an asshole who didn't pay his own staff, embezled funds, thought the toyline was created in response to the cartoon (and ironically didn't know a thing about the original Marvel run a.k.a. the first actual entry in TF retail products), and what was left untouched in the plans for later DW comics was largely polished and adapted for IDW anyway I.E. Megatron Origin.

And what went down with IDW Ultra Magnus was far more original than playing up the fact the original is just White Optimus Prime in a trailerhome.

That said? The plot of the Armada and Energon comics was actually the best fiction from Armada and Energon. Armada Megatron going apeshit on G1 Galvatron during Worlds Collide was a rare treat to be sure. But Lee did far more damage to the comics side of the franchise by scummy mismanagement practices than anything really contributed. That infamous "Giraffe neck Prime" example of how the art was really weird in proportions and perspective really underscores that.

• Like Like x 5
  3. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Yes, because IDW literally hiring huge transformers fanboys to write their books isn't fannish enough.

Weren't the numbers on dw books dire near the end? After all the hype of the relaunch, readers ended up turning out?

War within was good but DW was a dumpster fire to the nth degree.

4. Reask

Reask Predacon

You know that would have been a lot more redundant considering Nova Prime already fulfilled the white Optimus repaint role. But yeah, the only stories from Dreamwave I liked was Armada and Energon, you know whenever Lee wasn't drawing for Armada. I liked War Within but it's pretty basic when it comes to Transformers, although that's only the first volume, I have higher hopes for the one starring The Fallen when I get around to reading that.

The only casualties from Dreamwave that I would have loved to see were Simon Furman's take on Cybertron and his original Beast Wars story, rather than those other Beast Wars comics. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

They've already had a second chance. DreamMachine, was it?

6. RNSrobot

Dream engine. Christ, did that ever go anywhere beyond registering a URL?

I think they used dream engine to transfer a lot of dad's assets to, or whatever it would be, so they were no longer "technically" Dreamweaver, legally. Ie to further screw over their staff...

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I think the guy who wrote that list and said he wanted Dreamwave G1 to come back is just pissy that the Sunstorm arc never really got resolved and Bumper wasn't ever 'revealed' to be a double agent or something (not like the last appearance of him right down to the 'completely pointless otherwise' random car license plate saying 'TR8TR' in that panel after he clearly killed two dudes).

But in addition to treating his artists and writers like shit (almost certain he still owes them a shitload of wages), DW's focus was illogically more on churning out its own original titles that got relatively little promotion than strengthening its licensed titles with established fanbases. There are scores of #1 titles advertised in the backs of my old Armada and G1 DW-era books that I've never seen ever make it to print.

Of course, I will admit one of my prized TF collection assets is an original "movie-style" poster for the launch of the Armada title, one of the best things DW ever made. Got it for free from the totally awesome local LCS owner - sadly the store went bust a few years back so the poster is personally significant to me.

:lol  completely forgot Nova was white...with my collection within eyesight and the sealed Battle Core Optimus Prime I keep specifically to be Nova Prime's stand in towering over everything in the back.

Yeah, Lee ran off to China to try the same exact shit but didn't get anywhere. Haven't heard of him doing anything since.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Eugh. Can't say I very much agree with that article at all. Keep Dreamwave dead and buried.

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Armada was great. Started ok and became seriously good.

DW G1 SUCKED bollocks untill the the last few issues before the company folded.

10. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Keep Michiyamenotehi Funana's baby dead.

• Like Like x 5
  11. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Certainly an...interesting example of nostalgia

12. RNSrobot

Excuse me, you mean SUPERSTAR FUNANA!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Hahahahah NO.

NO NO NO.

This right here is an (excuse the political phrase) ALTERNATIVE FACT.

IDW hired a lot of Dreamwave people back, but they also hired a ton of non-Dreamwave people. And IDW's comics sold terribly out the gate. They didn't "piggyback" on crap. Infiltration was hovering below 15k copies by the end, and under 10k by the time they got to Revelation. What's more, nobody reviewed them. All Hail Megatron got a little bit of attention but it never went anywhere. For that matter, Dreamwave wasn't exactly flying off the shelves toward the end of the run--it was the 2002 nostalgia boom that had copies of Prime Directive selling for stupid prices.

IDW's "acclaim" didn't come about until MTMTE and RID started making the Buy Pile every month a full six years after Infiltration #1. This person does not understand time. I write clickbait on the Internet, and even this is shameful clickbait.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    And people like me did not know, that there were current Transformers comics. Once I found out about Dreamwave and IDW, I read everything in one go until the part where Don Figeroa currently redesigned all Transformers to look like a mix of G1 and Bayformers style. That's everything Dreamwave made and everything IDW had done up to 2009/2010 in a few months. Actually that was a great time. Reading these stories in one go is much more pleasing than reading them every few months a few pages.

15. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    I'm aware of Pat Lee's shameful antics AND his "odd" take on art and the laws of perspective, but I was in at DW's start and not everything they did was a "dumpster fire" by any means. Doing enough to get TF comics back in stores and leaving just enough legacy to allow IDW to be viable to now is a good to great thing. If somebody hadn't cranked the handles in 2002 maybe I wouldn't have my MTMTE Volumes now and that would make me and the World a sadder place by far.

If a couple of the DW plots found themselves Regenerated to a conclusion by the current Teams I would probably pick them up. They don't have to be canon, just closure. Who would that hurt?

We certainly don't need Pat Lee back though.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I read his TFWiki entry again this day just for shits and giggles. I looked at the list linked at the bottom of the page with everything he owes everyone. I don't know if he paid anything to anyone. But it seems he even owes Milne and Hasbro money :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

What hanging plotthreads does the DW version even have that's worth picking up?

They had their pre-war stuff, but IDW's done a ton with that along similar lines anyway.

18. CaptainButtocks

CaptainButtocks Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just want a mini-series on Larry the crazy White House janitor with full security access.

The guy was a dark horse. Especially when credited as drawn by Superstar Artist Pat Lee.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RNSrobot

Sunstorm sucks. Pretty well fanwank. Sooper powers.

Honestly, I'd like to see Furman wrap up warm within vol 3. But that's about it.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1