Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I was excited about Volume 1, though I thought that story arc was kind if so-so. Volume 2 though with the return to their take on Cybertron, and having Shockwave as the main antagonist really made me take notice. The ongoing had possibilities such as featuring Sunstorm and introducing a plot thread with the female Autobots, but then you know what happened. I think I mentioned this before in this thread, the biggest shame was knocking out any excitement I could have had for IDW, think they'd probably fizzle out just as quickly. Damn shame, things like the lead-up to Lost Light and a post-war Cybertron would have been perfect timing for me. Thank goodness I caught some of that before that continuity ended.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Megatrons Spawn

Megatrons Spawn Transfan

Glad I've seen this thread. Spawn and the Transformers Dreamwave series is what got me collecting comics. I'd get every single cover.
    Unfortunately last year I had a flood in my previous home and all my Transformers Dreamwave issues were destroyed.
    I've been collecting them from scratch during the pandemic and I have almost every single issue/cover including all the holofoil and variants.
    I'm missing 10 more and am so close to completing them, it's become an obsession haha

• Like Like x 4
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Dreamwave got me back into collecting.

I loved their take on G1. They took the best of the comic and cartoon.

The MTMTE profiles showed how well they knew each character. I loved Sunstreaker and Repugnus' profiles. They also fleshed out all the Micromasters.

It was great seeing new characters like Sunstorm, The Fallen and Bumper and cameos such as the Motorvators, Delta Magnus and Magnificus.

I loved seeing the legions of Seeker Drones.

The artwork was great too.

The ongoing was fantastic. I loved seeing Sideswipe and Sunstreaker in action. Sunstreaker's line about having to wipe Bumper's tailpipe was the first time Transformers fiction made me laugh out loud.

It's an absolute tragedy that the series was cut short. I'd have loved to see the planned profile book featuring the likes of Bumper and Sunstorm.

• Like Like x 3
  4. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they gave us the more mature armada and energon comics so bravo

and i only read the last issue of their g1 comics before they crashed; i had the comic and read it so much and was so enthralled i wish i'd read more( i eventually did online, jazz X marissa was kinda entertaining)

but most importantly they gave is THE FALLEN!

here's a few my fav panel pics

Fledglingcause.jpg Marissafairebornedw2.jpg RC O0 14.jpg RCO008_1583399933.jpg Thefallen.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

I recently re-read all of Dreamwave’s G1 series. Prime Directive was okay, War and Peace is one of the best TF stories ever and the ongoing was very ambitious. I still don’t get why Pat Lee was ever considered a good artist though, it was a dramatic improvement when Don took over

• Like Like x 3
  6. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Yeah Don did the Dreamwave house style best.
    Pat Lee did however had an interesting vision; Reinterpreting the G1 character models, but going for a more toy accurate look in both deco and design. Even though I prefer the g1 cartoon look, I do like the the more toy accurate dreamwave designs. And still think they did it better than what came after. But then again IDW went for a different approach, a more updated interpretation. So I guess it's no fair comparing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

You know, it's amazing looking back because Dreamwave was my introduction to Transformers and that art just blew me away. I was so impressed. Fast forward to 6 years ago when I bought the entire Dreamwave run I couldn't believe how ugly it got sometimes. Lee was really inconsistent. He could draw something amazing like the image in my avatar but then he also drew some really questionable proportions and anatomy in other images. And his humans were hideous.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Indeed his proportions were often off
    However, one charming thing you can notice from his style which later people improved upon, is the sense of scale when looking at the cybertronians, even when humans aren't on-panel the cybertronians always feel and look gigantic

• Like Like x 2
  9. CannonBlaster

Yeah, I agree with that

I like the idea of blending the character models and the toys but I don't think his designs were very well thought-out

10. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    Probably because Lee drawing his own art was also really inconsistent. There's a reason the TFWiki credits all of the images drawn by him as "Pat Lee (Allegedly)".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

You got me there. It's crazy to think Milne drew more of Pat Lee's books than Pat Lee did, even outside of Transformers.

12. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

It all goes back to that Wizard piece. That piece of art he did for that Wizard magazine article (on properties from the 80's that should return in comic form) blew everyone away, on both a fan and corporate level, and if what we heard was true, started a bit of a war to get Lee on board for a TF revival. The momentum was certainly there.

It was just one piece. No one could guess at any of the shenanigans that were to follow. All people saw was a modern golden age revival of a once-beloved property.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nniuqluap

nniuqluap Member

I'm really happy to read all of this love for DW Transformers. I remember adding to this thread years ago and back them people simply hated on it due to Pat Lee. Yes, he was not the best person, but other people busted their butts to produce that comic, and IMO it was better than anything the IDW has ever put out. It felt epic, and I couldn't wait for the next issue to come out. Everything that I have read from IDW I pretty much hated.

• Like Like x 3
  14. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

I'm just mad they missed some obvious set-ups for what would have been great stories at a depth we hadn't been seen before (at that stage). In Prime Directive, Prowl and Bumblebee are in particular 'Bots that I remember rampaging under mind control, destroying human architecture, and worse, taking human lives.

I thought that was such a great issue, and I couldn't wait to see it explored. Two of the noblest Autobots, forced to do the most horrible deeds imaginable, I couldn't even being to imagine the long term repercussions this would have. Instead we got.... nothing. Literally nothing. Not a single word about how this experience affected them, how they felt about being used as proxy murderers for someone else's political agenda. Just radio silence, like it had never happened.

That was disappointing, and for me, the first sign this new incarnation probably wasn't going to be quite as thorough and deep as I'd been hoping.

I'd still like to see that character study...

15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    started re-reading these recently, and Pat Lee art and ethics question marks aside, it's absolute staggering to me how high the production values are – just makes IDW look like 2nd rate amateurs. Some fo the pages just look like painted animation cells coming to life.

• Like Like x 1
  16. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Yeah, that's why I was extremely disappointed by the move to idw. They may have better consistant writing, but the visual aspect was a huge step down. back to more marvelesque production values. DW put a lot of effort in coloring, shading and backgrounds art.

17. nniuqluap

nniuqluap Member

I agree. What turned me off from IDW (aside from finding the Furman written series boring) was how poor the IDW art was. I didn't even think that it was on par with 1980s Marvel. After reading Furman's boring stories and looking at subpar art I could no longer fathom spending four dollars a month on something I really didn't like. I know that the art got better, but in my opinion it never came close to the Dreamwave art.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone considered Pat Lee a good artist.

That said, he is better than some artists on IDW. That doesn't make him good, just that he's not the worse.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Ruckley's stories are the most boring thing to come out of IDW. I can feel myself losing the knowledge of what I just read as I read it. Whereas I can still remember Furman's -ation series years later.

20. CannonBlaster

You’d think so but I saw a review online from when Dreamwave was still active saying that he was born to draw Transformers

• Like Like x 1