Dream Star Toys Superion

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by williammmw, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

He was referring to the Harrier in the photo sporting the bright paint, not Harriers in general.

2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Neither. That's a prototype/test plane. (well, it COULD have shown up at an air show, but that's not the reason for the scheme)

• Like Like x 1
  3. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

call me crazy but even on the realistic colored version i kinda want his cartoon mouthplate and some more coloring on this chest so long as it doesn't hinder the look of silverbolts's alt mode (not that it looks taht great but it could use all the help it can get as the others look way better).

• Like Like x 1
  4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

They are improving his alt-mode.

5. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Normally colorful military vehicles, like a maroon tank, or purple highlights on a desert tank, kind of bother me. But colorful fighter jets never do. Perhaps it’s because we do so often see air show decoed fighters, like the Blue Angels, or the Thunderbirds. So while I don’t need G1 colors, and am fine with more realistic military grey decos, I also would be bothered by a G1 or an original color scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

This set just looks so dope! Can't wait to see color test shots (Ben... Where you at?)!

7. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster No relation to the Autobot, ironically. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd imagine that DST would probably offer a replacement piece or whatnot to give Encourager his mouthplate. Chestpiece? Not so sure about that.

@Junkmech We all know you'd be all over it if it had a mouthplate :p 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah that's definitely my only complaint about this design. :oops: 

• Like Like x 2
  9. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

Aawd Lahndan Taaaahn...more specifically, Chiswick
    I've not been following this thread, so is it confirmed that the first (possibly only) release is all going to be in military colours? I'm all for an updated and stylised rendition of a character, but they have to somehow be recogniseable as that character, which is where getting the colours right matters, otherwise it may as well just be a completely original character in and of itself. That's where WeiJiang (RIP) went wrong with their Technobot/Computron homage, AFAIC.

Hopefully, they'll see sense and put out a version coloured right.

On the plus side, saves me a pre-order for now.

If I was just collecting models of military vehicles then I'd agree, but these aren't... they're homages to characters that happen to turn into military vehicles, and the colours are an integral part of the look of that character. For example, I know we would never see a maroon Sheridan in real life, but in the same stroke , a desert camo version of Warpath, will never be Warpath.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

Megatron has been predominantly green/grey or even all black before, Ratchet has been Red/Green/White, we've had Optimus's in different colors like Red and Black, Starscream has been Purple/Grey, etc. Color is an important part of a characters looks yes, but the general shape or sculpt I would say is more important, which these guys have gotten down. Not everything new stylized take on old characters has to be one-to-one for colors as their original G1 counterparts. We haven't seen them coloured in their individual modes, but based on the combined mode so far I would be perfectly fine if these were the only colour scheme they came in.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BIOMEC

So going by this logic, If I change the color of my clothes tomorrow does that mean that it wouldn't be me?

I can recognize who everyone is supposed to be just by the alt mode.

12. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    You could tell Starscream from Air Raid, purely from their alt mode shape? Just sayin. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  13. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee? Do I look like Bumblebee to you 20201106_172958.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m surprised how little people here know about the power of color. Guess your houses and everything inside is grey. Why do you think Optimus has always been red and blue.... even the Michael bay movie knew the importance of color for their main cast because grey just fades into the background with barely any recognizable characteristics when everyone is grey. I mean your TF shelves are rainbows at this point yet you can instantly pinpoint what character is who from a distance.

15. BIOMEC

In that case I should look at the robot mode too.

16. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

For me colour is always secondary to the actual designs. As long as they look like who their supposes to represent I can still make out who's who. The Optimus I grey up with was predominantly Red White and Black with some Blue on his head and Yellow eyes, or IDW's ongoing Megatron was completely black with purple highlights, but I'm still able to tell who they are. Now if the designs were completely different to the namesake then I would say use their original colours, but these guys shouldn't be that much of an issue. especially when the headsculpts are done extremely well (which I think is the most important part of a new design for a old character).

• Like Like x 1
  17. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thing is, on their own it would be a heads ulpt thing, but when you have 5 arial bots, 4 of which already pretty much look identical, you need color distinction between them. When they changed up prime and negations colors they made them very bold colors that usually no one else around them had. Just saying, color is a pretty important factor when there’s more than one character.

18. TraitorJ

TraitorJ Well-Known Member

To be fair, only Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron were their correct colour schemes from the Bay movies.

*That being said, while I do like the look of this in it's current colour scheme, I get that recognizable colour schemes can make or break a character, as I thought if the rest of the cast from the Bay films were the correct colours, it would have been a lot better.

*Edit because I didn't mean to hit post yet.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BIOMEC

Jazz was silver but I still could tell it was him.

• Like Like x 2
  20. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Wow, this set looks gorgeous! I'm already content with Zeta Toys "Superion," but this could definitely be on its own! Can't wait to see more!