Dragoncon 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Soundwave_X, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Soundwave_X

Soundwave_X Assassin/Vault Hunter

2. Soundwave_X

maybe we can meet up as well.

51 days left till dragoncon! WOOHOOO:bay 

3. Soundwave_X

am i the only one going to dragoncon?

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I may go for a day. D*Con has just gotten too damn big and crowded for its own good if you ask me. I'm not a big Stargate/Buffy fan, which is pretty much what it focuses on nowadays. That and overpriced autographs aren't my thing.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Still much easier to get into panels than Comic con. I go every year. We tried to have a meet up last year but only two of us showed. Go to the George Lowe panel if you can it's hillarious.

6. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    This will be my 10th straight year.

Yes, its big, and yes the autographs are expensive, but at smaller cons the autographed photos can run even more. For the price you pay for the tickets, Dragon*Con is hard to top.

As for what it focuses on, the Buffy track ended a couple of years back. Its the Whedon track now, and if anything the Browncoats have more of a presence than Buffy/Angel in recent years, and Doctor Horrible got a lot of attention last year. This year we'll also have Dollhouse content.

As for this year, the Trek Track will be absolutely huge, what with Nimoy and Stewart attending.

7. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Will be my third straight year. Just debating on what costumes to bring haha!

8. Soundwave_X

This is my second year going.
    Im just having a hard time finding a hotel for 4 days and 3 nights.

I saw george lowe. I met Ray Park,Peter Mayhew,Walter Koenig,Brad Douif and Robert Luelen.

I also got Robert England's autograph.

I hope to get the following autographs: Patrick Stewart,Leonard Nemoy,
    Kane Hodder and Mike Mignola.(maybe Kate Mulgrew)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  9. Soundwave_X

Neil Kaplan

Neil Kaplan (RID Optimus prime) is going to be at dragoncon this year!

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'll be there, attending on a media pass reporting for ToonZone.net and my "Voice Actors in the News" blog.

Maybe this year we can do a meet-up where more people than just Tekkaman and myself show up. We hung out in the food court and it felt like a man-date since my wife wasn't there. But at least Tekkaman's an interesting guy and a pretty keen customizer.

We can work out a group meet time as the con gets closer. I'll post a link to this thread in the Georgia Sightings forum too.

I'd even be up for a "Parts Party" like they do at Botcon if we can find a location fitting for such an activity. I've got lots of overstock I need to trade/sell.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was debating on it. Depends on if I spring for the costume I've had my eye on.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've got a thumbs-up from Bob Bergen (voice of Porky Pig) to join a meet-up dinner I'm organizing during the con weekend -- this is for an Atlanta-area voice-over group I host, so if any of you would like to join us as well, PM me and I might be able to get a few non-members in as well depending on how many confirmations I get.

Any locals have a few restaurants close to the con grounds they can recommend? Preferably ones that don't require reservations since Bob asked to keep the time flexible.

13. Heracles Max

Heracles Max Forticon Leader

I would really like to go. Unfortunately, I am in a state of flux at the moment, so, I am unsure whether I will get to go or not.

However, I will post back if I find out I can make it work. A get-together would be great. Just what I was looking for, actually.

14. Magnus1701

Magnus1701 Duly Appointed Enforcer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going to Dragoncon

Hey guys!

Me and some friends are going to DragonCon in Atlanta this year and I was curious to see if anyone else on here is planning on attending.

If so it'd be great to meet you guys!

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I will be going, however there is already a thread in the conventions forum.

16. Magnus1701

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yeah just realized that. Anyways. If anyone wants to meet up let me know.

17. DaveKyzer

DaveKyzer Well-Known Member

I wish I could go, I have too much other stuff going on to go.

18. Magnus1701

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A buddy called me yesterday. He told me William Shatner will be attending! I dunno about anyone else, but this little Trekkie is excited!

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    There is an entire guest list is on Welcome to Dragon*Con! - Welcome to Dragon*Con!

Off the top of my head, there is Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, Edward James Olmos, Charisma Carpenter, and a whole ton of others! I just checked the list again...George Romero was gonna be there, now he had to cancel :(  . On a side note, celebs have been known to go there as fans. For instance, 2 years ago, the wrestler Lita was there with her boyfriend. I got to meet her in person which was great!

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Shatner was just announced as a guest on August 18th. He has a reputation for being elitist and kind of an ass, but I still find him amusing. But I won't be waiting in line for hours to pay $25-50 to get his autograph and a photo. It will definitely be a Trek-packed weekend since the aforemetioned Nimoy and Stewart are scheduled, as well as Kate Mulgrew (Voyager), Dwight Schultz (STTNG), Garrett Wang (Voyager), and several other Trek-related guest stars and writers and such.

I finally got confirmation of my media pass for the whole weekend, and I will be there all 4 days reporting for ToonZone.net and my "Voice Actors in the News" blog.

And unfortuantely I have to withdraw my earlier open invitation for the dinner meet-up I'm hosting with guest of honor Bob Bergen -- too many people contacted me wanting to get in on it. So unfortunately I had to change it from being an open event to a private, invitation-only event. However, if I do happen to have any last-minute cancellations, I'll have openings on stand-by. And I do still have a few spaces open due to unreplied RSVPs. I may also have two other guests-of-honor in addition to Bob, but they haven't confirmed yet.

So you're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like to be on stand-by, and please be sure to include a cellphone number so I can reach you.

And as I mentioned previously, I would like those of us TFW2005 members to try and meet up again this year, especially if any of you are booked to stay at one of the hotels on con grounds. I would love to do a swap meet or parts party like they do at Botcon.