Dragon Age: Origins Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 11, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it will be mine too, Liege. Been waiting for an RPG like this for a very long time. Traditional PC RPG gameplay with updated cinematic quality and graphics. And with Mass Effects and KOTOR being a great spring board for Bioware, they are going back to Fantasy with a lot of experience. Problem is that everyone is into Sci Fi right now, which is why it's slipping through a lot of Radars.

2. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Ive been reading about this game for almost a year.

God I cant wait.It comes out the same month as my birthday (about a week before it actually) so maybe someone will take the hints Ive been dropping about it...

I'm probably gonna end up playing a mage character as im predisposed to playing such classes in fantasy games.

For some reason im drawn to magic characters,oh and female characters too.
    My brother always makes fun of me for playing the chicks.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always play as the beefy warrior-type.

Screw strategy and keeping my distance, let me at 'em!

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good point. If both are done equally well, I would choose a fantasy style setting over a sci-fi setting, but sci-fi does seen to be getting the lion's share of press. I do feel that it's more difficult to make a fantasy setting without falling into cheesy cliches, but space marine characters are getting a bit tiresome.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hallelujah to that. I always start a ranger-type character, but I don't know if that will be available in this game. The Baldur's Gate series managed to stay clear of the cheese factor as much as possible. I like sci-fi if done like Mass Effect. But yeah, Space Marine started with Aliens (or the book Starship Troopers) and it should have remained there. (With respect for those who loves it)

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slight Delay in release (about a month). Also confirmation that MS had flexed its muscle on the PS3 release, but like was mentioned here, only by a few weeks. Not enough to make me get the 360 version, but enough to make me enjoy Uncharted, Ratchet and Brutal Legends in OCT.

IGN: Bioware Explain Dragon Age's Slight Delay

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    You didn't believe me? Dude, I thought we had something special...

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, remember, after you posted the link to their site, I believed you. I just trusted Gamestop's website. I feel ashamed.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You know, if you're afraid (prolly rightfully so, too) of the Red Rings, you might want to actually play your 360 so it does RROD while under warranty.

I'm just saying...

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I play it from time to time, and I am planning on getting Star Ocean (probably in Sept, before Uncharted) on it and I just gave it a push with three straight nights of Mass Effect, but how many folks here (including me) are on their second or third RROD? Repairs don't mean they will never break again, otherwise I'd fake it. I just don't want to spend cash on a game, invest some serious time on it and then spend weeks away from it, if it happens at the most inconvenient times (unless I absolutely have to). And even these last few weeks, people have posted going RROD right when they bought Ghost Busters or some other games, and that can't be a fun situation.

I know I tend to lean towards Sony more in my gaming, and unlike some folks, I will openly admit that, but my honest-to-god reason for opting for RPGs on the PS3 is that simple fear of getting to a nice empty weekend and wanting to stay up until 3AM, only to be disappointed like I was when I bought Oblivion back when it launched (And this was before MS committed to repair, so I had to wait until there were new 360s at gamestop). If I have the option, which I do, I will choose the safe path.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm on my third and I've never paid a dime for repairs.

The downtime sucks though.
    Plus, if you get it for PS3, you are going to miss teh uber armor for Mass Effect 2.
    Teh Armorz!!!111!!!1

Why the hell is Mass Effect not multiplatform yet.
    (PC aside)

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even if it was multi, I'd play it on 360 because that's where I started it, and especially if I can port Alis Shepard over. I wasn't really complainin' against the paying for repairs, I just don't like the downtime (I was really pissed when I got Oblivion and a week later my 360 was down for three weeks while Gamestop replaced their stock). The Mass Effect armor is seriously tempting, but I really plan on spending some S3rious time with this game. It's been a long time since I've played a long, deep, fantasy non-Japanese RPG.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm still on my original early 2006 ecsbocs, no red rings for me.

It doesen't get many monster games fed to it thougth, I don't aim guns or trawl menus with a joypad when there are PC versions available.

I'll be off to the shops if it ever dies, I want to make sure that i'm getting a factory fresh 65nm model with HDMI rather then play pot luck with whatever refurbs are sitting in thier out pile.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I knew my 360 would be returned with a new system that was immuned to RROD I'd be more inclined to take my chances, but I know quite a few people who have returned to RROD on their returned systems.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    RROD is like death.

You know its 100% going to happen but you ain't got no fucking clue when.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I really do take care of my 360. It's actually cleaner than my PS3, though I dusted all three of them this weekend. I'm pretty sure Star Ocean will give it a good push. I tend to spend a lot of time on SO games.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I suggest you install that bad boy, obviously one disc at a time as i'm sure all 3 discs would be about a billion gig :D 

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I will. I installed Mass Effect. Honestly, even if I only have 20 gigs, I think the option to install is brilliant.... notice I used the word "option" something sony should consider using.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Do the textures load more smoothly if it's installed?

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. I hoped they would, but the game plays exactly the same. I just hear less lawn mowers coming from the 360, so I'm sure it taxes it less. The reason they don't load quicker is probably because Bioware probably never intended for the game to be installed, so they custom built the game for disc-streaming in mind without an organic compensation should installation be allowed.