Dr. Wu P-08 MakeToys Giant Head Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by uranusdd, Nov 23, 2012.

1. uranusdd

uranusdd SIXSHOTS

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Review of Dr. Wu Giant LED Head upgrade

So I picked up this new Dr. Wu offering for my Maketoy Giant. I got it at work and will post pics of head on the figure later on. But initial impression is that the head is decent but not great. It only cost me $9 so it wasn't a big deal. On to the review, the head is made of resin plastic and it does feel kind of cheap and hollow and no where near the quality of say Renderform's quality. I believe the head is a little bigger then the original and a more solid jaw line. In addition, there's hollow hole in the back of the head to place a LED for the glow up visor. The paint application on the face is cleaner then the prototype images we saw before but still a little sloppy. You have to be a bit careful with the LED for the back of the head as I had my fall through the head and got stuck and took me a good 5 mins to wiggle it back out. The LED is activated by twisting the cap on and off, wish it could have been a button but oh well. When the LED is on, the red light does bleed through other parts of the plastic. This is probably happening because the plastic is probably too thin. My overall impression is save yourself the money unless you really want a LED head for your Giant figure.

Was able to get home and popped it on to my Yellow Giant. Its a pretty easy assembly as all you need to is pop the original head off the ball joint and put the Dr. Wu one on. I have to say that the ball socket is a bit bigger then the original which leaves the head loose and I also found that the head looks down too much. It would have been nice for them to mold the socket so that the head looks up more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much the same issues as with the one I got, then...

4. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that... sucks.

5. FatedLazarus

FatedLazarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I have all of the same issues with mine. I was hoping that mine was an isolated case. I paid 18 and I am definitly not happy with my purchase. I am sad to say that this is my first let down from Dr Wu.

6. booster

booster Active Member

so far... what ever head or faceplate i got from dr wu is crap... they have no pride in their product... i got the faceplates for magnus and roddy... and now this giant head... all crap!! wtf??? dun buy their stuff!!!

7. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    has anyone tried it on green giant? maybe they built it for that?. also, have you tried coating with nail polish? I just got a shipping notice on mine, so it should be here in...oh...3 weeks

8. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Glad I saw this. I was about to order it along with my green giant. I'll save myself $20

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's really a shame this turned out to be kinda crap. The head with the blue LED would've looked neato on yellow Giant.

10. Compewtrawn

Ebay:
    anyone nail polish the head to see if it helps?

11. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The head fits the same on green giant. I could do a Future treatment on it to make it tighter but I just don't care for the head and went back to the stock head.

12. beangrower

beangrower Well-Known Member

My head fits great on green giant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noticed yellow giants head was really tight on gg
    [​IMG]

13. Compewtrawn

Ebay:
    does your head snap on? mine does not, perhaps i'm not pushing it far enough?

14. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

How is the quality of this head? It looks nicer than the other two heads but I don't want it if the quality is shit.

Also, can it still be used as a foot or does it have to switch out with one of the old heads for that?

15. Compewtrawn

Ebay:
    i found it good with the exception the head doesn't snap on securely

16. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got this on Friday. Really wish I would have checked the review first. I hadn't realized there was a gaping hole in the back of the head for a chunky LED. Not to mention if you want to disassemble giant, you have to take the head off because this one doesn't fold up like the stock heads.

Very disappointed.

17. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone know if the head is actually supposed to fold up like the stock heads?

There is a round peg on either side of the face and appears to allow for the face to fold into the skull, however the Wu face appears to be glued in.

I figured it allowed for this initially and thought it was a little stiff, so I forced it. It folded up just fine, but the faceplate was so loose it just fell out so I ended up putting some epoxy on it and just left if as a stand alone head with no fold up ability.

Just seems like it should have been capable of folding considering the similarities between it and the stock heads.

18. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

Got this head in the other day. I quite like it. Looks much better than either of the Maketoys heads. It was pretty loose on the balljoint but I put a little piece of tissue on the balljoint as I snapped the head on and it fixed the looseness issue. I actually keep the LED out when I'm not using the light up feature and it gives the head some lightpiping due to the hole in the back of the head. For the $20 it cost me, I am satisfied with it. :) 

19. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

I'm sure this is a hopeless quest, but...

Does anyone have the two-eyes, scary-mouth/chin head (the one on the left) for sale?

[​IMG]

I'm looking to buy one for a custom project.

Thanks!