double taped Masterpiece Rodimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Apeface, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

I recently sold a TRU Masterpiece Rodimus that I had sitting around for awhile. I never opened the thing. It came from TRU.com when they were first listed during comic-con. The buyer is saying it isn't new because it is double taped on the top. Is this a common thing with this toy?

2. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

It's common across the exclusive Hasbro MP line. One of my MP grimmy and my Mp Op was double taped newly bought from toys r us

3. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only one of the pieces of tape on my MPOP was double taped..

4. Outsider4Life

Outsider4Life Where R all the RI fans?

it is very common, not just for Masterpiece but many lines of Hasbro & Takara. usually it's seen on the larger boxes/packaging. I just received my Jetwing Prime from Amazon and it was double taped on one side.

5. Apeface

Thanks everyone. I looked at my Grimlock and saw the same thing. Now i'm just worried this guy is going to try a dispute to get his money back. I offered a refund if he returns it, but it is frustrating.

6. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've had some boxes that were double taped, not just TFs.

Hopefully he didn't open it in case he wants to return it. If he did, IDK.

7. Apeface

If he is going to open it, then I don't see why he would be bothered by the double-tape. The figure inside is clearly untouched. I would've had to undo more then one piece of tape to open the figure.

8. grymg

grymg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I purchased a non-plugged version MP-05 which was "MISB" and was doubletaped on one side, the first layer was clearly cut. But the figure inside was in new condition. Don't know what went on there.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's pretty common for there to be double tape on some figures.

Hold in there man, hopefully this gets resolved easily.

10. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

At issue here is not how much tape is on the box, but weather or not any of the tape is BROKEN. Ask your buyer to send you pics, and compare them to any reference pics you may still have from the sale. Double taping is different than something being opened and re-sealed. Refer the buyer to this thread, if need be.

11. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Ah, my old nemesis, the double tape seal. When I got back into collecting Transformers I got a God Neptune off Ebay that was double taped on one side and I was like, WTF? This was supposed to be brand new! But after a while I started seeing enough case fresh items with double tape to know it's legit. I try to avoid them just so I don't get in a situation like the OP is dealing with. It already happened with me when I sold a couple too big Thundercats Classics. I even said in the listing the box was double taped. But the buyer was like noooo, somebody opened Lion-O. Then I had to educate this guy on how it's a common practice across toy lines. What a pain in the ass.

I really would like to know exactly why they do it. Are they forgetting to put in the instructions? Is it a quality control check? And if it's for QC, why can't they check before the box is sealed? They can't double tape carded figures so how do they check QC on them?

12. Composite Ghost

News Credits:
    When stuff like this is double taped the bottom layer is almost always cut. But the tape seal placed over it is almost always the exact same kind of tape used to seal every other part of the box.

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yes, it's visual quality control of the completeness of the contents (are all the parts and accessories included, are instructions included etc.). It's often not actually a control of the structural quality (those are done on the assembly line), so if a toy is carded, there's no need to open it anyhow if the quality controller can see the contents.

Coincidently, I received a PoL from BBTS yesterday with, amongst other items, a United / Million Publishing Stepper, which was also double-taped. I bought it last month, when it was discounted at $76, and I guess the reason was that they were selling off their double-taped boxes. No problem this time, considering it was a great discount and I would be opening the box anyway. I could however see that whoever checked the contents opened the box a little roughly: there was a crease in the lid which annoyed me a bit. Contents were all still sealed in their bags though.

If I received a double-taped item from just a regular person (instead of BBTS) it might irritate me more if I wasn't warned beforehand.

14. Composite Ghost

News Credits:
    BBTS doesn't hold off selling their double taped items. They will ship them out just as they would a single taped box. I know this because I often order collector's grade items and I get annoyed when they send me something double taped. Same thing with TFSource.

15. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ohhh... Wasn't even aware of that! I'd be ESPECIALLY pissed off if I'd ordered collector's grade. Double-taping just shouldn't be eligible for that grade.
    Come to think of it, I did once get a double-taped FP Munitioner from TFSource at full price. Also annoyed me.

16. Apeface

I offered the guy a full refund if he returns it to me unopened, now he asks me for a $20 partial refund. What should I do?

17. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    tell him all or nothing. would you really discount the item $20 just for the tape?

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tell him no, the item is factory sealed as advertised.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    No. Just get your money back and resell the item. The only problem is what condition will the item be when he returns it.

20. Composite Ghost

News Credits:
    If this was happening to me I might be willing to give a partial refund of ten bucks just to make the problem to away, but this buyer is getting a bit greedy asking for twenty.