Double Standard

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Apocalyptic PhD, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

Am I the only one who gets this?

Sentinel prime > Kills Ironhide, everyone hates him. I heard that he was so hated that there were Fanbois protesting about not buying any of his toys. Most hated Villain in the Bayformers trilogy. Various people at the same time hated him and grieved for Ironhide.

Lock-down > Kills Ratchet, no one gives a shit. Is best villain of trilogy, even someone told me he's kind of "hot" (Yeah it's one of those TF fangirlism) Most popular Villain in the Bayformers trilogy. Various people at the same time praised his badassery and grieved for Ratchet.

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ratchet had about 7 lines of expositional dialogue throughout all three films, was barely featured in ROTF and DOTM - and went out in a bad way.

People are not as sad about Ratchet because his death was overall meaningless as any random Autobot could have been killed for that scene. The only thing it served to do was introduce the aspect of Transformers being hunted and killed - and the alliance they have with Lockdown. Even Ratchet's death was just for the sake of exposition and to explain that Lockdown is after Optimus. He wasn't built-up enough to have a good character so people were not emotionally invested when he died.

Compare that to Ironhide however who had a large focus in the first movie, was given multiple lines throughout and given a 'final battle' with the Dreads.

People are more sad about Ironhide because he was built-up and given character and his death was shocking because he was effectively Optimus's second-in-command as shown by ROTF. He was also the second toughest Autobot - though admittedly this was not portrayed well on-screen. He also died in a rather horrible way - compared to Ratchet who died in effectively the same way as Que.

----

Oh... and its no longer a 'trilogy' btw ><

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I care. I felt pretty much the same for LD's death as I did Sentinel's, so yeah.

4. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I'm sad about Ratchet's death... He was a good guy.... A GOOD GUY!!... The way he stood around...making "wee woo wee woo" noises....damn I want the green guy back! He was an Autobot...he was our friend.... The way he said "never" to Lockdown...true bravery and honor for Optimus.

Damn you Lockdown....damn you to cyber-hell!!

5. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

My mistake... the Bayformers-Quadrilogy.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, its fine :p 

Might be best just saying the 'Bayformers Series' because we're getting at minimum two more...

7. TheYearIs2005

TheYearIs2005 Well-Known Member

Autobots are loved for their heroics, whilst the Decepticons are loved for being deceptive militant killers (including Lockdown).

I would say it's double standards, as we want the bad guys to do as well as the good guys.
    50/50.

8. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    They are in minority who can't accept the fact that their precious generic badass got shot from behind by one of the best characters in the trilogy. And it was another Autobot, which disgusted people.

But Lockdown is... well, you know who he is. You expect him to kill good guys in a variety of ways. And since him and Ratchet have this thing back from Animated, it's automatically good for fanboys to accept it easily.

But personally, I didn't care for any of their deaths. I never got the appeal towards Ironhide, and found his incredibly forced grumpy voice annoying.
    I could've felt something for Ratchet, but Robert Foxworth was very weird during that part. He didn't portray the emotion I expected; there was this CGI robot who's suffering with a quite casual voice. He didn't sell the scene, Mark Ryan did.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  9. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason so many protested against Sentinel Prime was not just because he killed Ironhide but also because he was an Autobot who sided against his brother Autobots.

The reason hardly anyone protested against lockdown killing Ratchet was because Lockdown was doing what everyone expected him to be doing. Hunting and killing. And lockdown killing Ratchet was probably a lot more well excepted because again, people expected it as those 2 had a past in other TFs lore.

So IMO, both Sentinel and Lockdown were great villains and both had great characterization but both can't be compaired to each as both were totally different types of villains.

10. Dashdragon

Dashdragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually felt sadder for Ratchet's death than Ironhide's who was more of an 'oh shit' moment. Both were essentially executed, but done in a vastly different way. Ratchet was hunted down, while Ironhide was just suddenly blasted and betrayed.

I'd guess more people are pissed at his betrayal than because a long-standing Decepticon killed an Autobot.

11. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Ratchet? You mean that green Autobot background character?

Sam's friend, Miles, in the first movie had more lines than Ratchet, and he was only in 5 minutes worth of screen time. Hell, didn't Sam's bully, Trent, had more personality and lines than Ratchet with 5 minutes as well?

12. TheYearIs2005

TheYearIs2005 Well-Known Member

Did anyone care about the Wrecker who suffered a similar fate?

13. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    I wasn't sad about Ratchet, but I was pretty pissed, specifically with the humans attacking him. I kept hoping that Lockdown would at least finish him off, as I feel that it would have been more "acceptable."

14. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually to be honest I didn't realize it was a wrecker until my second viewing. I had thought it was Ratchet on a crapier quality screen. :lol 

I nearly cried the first time I saw Ratchet die, (same for Ironhide) and it killed me all over again when I saw his face being melted down. :( 

jD001

15. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, I had no idea I was melting his head:confused2 

16. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *slaps forehead*

I meant "They!" Don't know how that turned into "I." :lol 

jD001

17. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

Sentinel was a traitor. Lockdown was a merc with a job.

18. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

With Sentinel, it was an outright betrayal. He was suppose to be a fellow Autobot fighting against the tyranny of the Cons. Instead, he betrayed the Bots, murdered Hide and let greed consume him. He became a Con. So yea, many hate him for what he did and rightfully so.

Lockdown has no faction. He's a bounty hunter who was paid by the Creators to retrieve Prime. He views both Bots and Cons as scum with a tendency to make a mess of things. Unlike Sentinel, Lockdown never pretended to be somebody he isn't. There was no betrayal with him. Sure, people were pissed as hell for Ratchet's demise. I think that many are more pissed at Attinger and his goons, then at Lockdown. Honestly tho, I think Lockdown was more merciful then the humans were. The death he gave Ratchet was a hell of alot quicker than what the fleshy douchebags were going to give him. I do wonder if Lockdown would've kept his word tho, had Ratchet told him where Prime was. Would he have spared him and kept the humans from killing Ratchet.

19. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I wondered that too!

Maybe Ratchet would have to be a prisoner on Lockdown's ship or a guest? Because Attinger wouldn't allow Ratchet to live on earth

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I suspect Lockdown would have kept his word if Ratchet had revealed Optimus' location. He may be a cold asshole but I doubt him as the type to go against his word. He did give Attinger the Seed when he could have easily gone 'lol fuck you' and kept it.

If that was the case, probably just lock Ratchet up with the knights to give Optimus someone to talk to or conscript him as a medic or something. Nothing particularly comfortable, but better than death.

Of course Ratchet wasn't gonna rat out his leader, not now not ever, so Lockdown killed his ass for it.