DOTM Ultimate Optimus Prime pics and price

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Algernon, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's a great argument.

2. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i find that a pretty weak design, the huge cybertron prime had a similar thing with the wings but at least that was impressive overall.

edit...actually i think its dreadful.....esp now i see the back.

3. Barricade_Rules

Barricade_Rules Barricade's #1 Fan Boy

You know what he reminds me off?

Legends ROTF Soundwave strapped to Legends ROTF Optimus instead of Jetfire. lol

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Actually, and I know I'm defending a figure that I said I don't like, but it DOES have more articulation than people are seeing. I can tell from that picture that it has knee joints. So not exactly a brick, but still not good.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I disagree. A deluxe Wheeljack is money in the bank. There wasn't the slightest reason for them not to do it.

6. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    You might be right, it looks like there's a joint, but it could just be sculpted in. My point is how can you bend the knees when you have that line of plastic running the entire length of the leg?

... I guess that part could be rubber, but that just seems weird.

7. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree with that statement. The amount of cash they'll make from the thousands of collectors buying that Wheeljack is just pennies compared to the cash they'll make off millions of kids buying a new movie BB. Hasbro does cater to fans a lot, but the kids are still where the real money is at.

I'm just saying that if all Hasbro cared about was cash, all we would get are movie Primes and BBs and other major kid popular characters.

8. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    If they wanted a 'money in the bank' figure, they would have just made another Bumblebee. Kids are the biggest market here. And kids like Bumblebee, I'm sure the majority of little kids aren't even familiar with Wheeljack, let alone interested enough to buy one.
    Hasbro did Wheeljack for the fans. Same with Tracks, Grapple, Jazz, and perhaps most of all, Kup. Sure they'll make money, but not nearly as much money as say, another Optimus Prime could make.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  9. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Yeah, but Hasbro depend on variety. They like to have deluxe Bumblebees year-round, but they know damn well they need more than that to keep people interested. Even the kiddies want more than just Bumblebee.

Point is, even if no one never heard of Wheeljack, a deluxe sportscar is never much of a gamble.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty much exactly what I expected, actually it looks a bit better than I thought it would.

11. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    not sure if this has been said, but i guess one of the cgi model changes is that the front wheels are now on the hands check out this image...

[​IMG]

see? no front wheels on the ankles anymore...

and this figure looks pretty badass awesome! cant wait to get this guy! :D 

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I understand what you're saying, but the underlying motivation to the release of that figure was THE FANS. Hasbro's main market is kids, but they'll throw us a few bones to keep us happy, for example, Wheeljack.

13. Barricade_Rules

Barricade_Rules Barricade's #1 Fan Boy

lol I'm not trying to get into a fight with you.

I agree, The ROTF line for the most part, amazing. Just like the first movie.

I grew up with G1. I freaked and ran when G2 came around. I loved Beast Wars. I hated Beast Machines (the toys, I liked the show). I liked the RiD line and I sorta liked Armada but then it just got so...old school clunky.

WARNING: POTENTIALLY MAJOR GET FLAMED OVER

I grew up with G1, but I prefer the Bayverse. I love the realism and all that. Hasbro managed to engineer that wheels on the ground at all times transforming realism on that small scale and that is a major kudos to them.

My point is, they also have a major knack of 'just missing the mark' or flat out bombing a figure. Be it paint apps, name, overall design, the exclusion of something...a flawed placement of something.

This Optimus SCREAMS of 'what could have been'.

They had an awesome start with that unproduced United figure with jet trailer thingy.

It's like they had the lead in a race and then turned around and ran the other way and fell into a damn pit.

That is my point. That's what I mean by not listening. They cheaped out. They made an AMAZING leader Optimus for ROTF and instead of building off that, THIS is what we get slapped in the face with.

14. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Not going to be replacing Buster Prime with that, thats for sure.

15. yami4ct

News Credits:
    It's not just to keep us happy, I think a lot of people forget that many of the Hasbro designers are fans as well. Being fans, they get the best ideas when they're able to use their imaginations and redo a character they love. That's why I think a lot of the more homage figures like WJ here end up better than figures like this Ultimate Prime where the designers are very limited in what they can do.

16. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Well y'know it took them a quarter century to finally get around to doing really good versions of G1. Maybe in another year or so, Hasbro, (or more likely Takara) will look into doing a more ambitious version of this as part of their 'Movie Masterpiece' series.

Given how many movie figures have already been subject to redos, maybe this one will be Penultimate Prime.

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    WORST Super-Mode ever!

In my opinion.

18. Drive-By

Drive-By Eschew Obfuscation...

Gundam X called. He wants his backpack back.

19. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

They should of "parts formed" him!!! I was hoping for something more detailed and better looking than this! it reminds me of that supreme devastator that sucked from ROTF. I guess ill wait for cgi picks of his combined mode before making my buying decision.

20. yami4ct

News Credits:
    If the movie design turns out half as good as Double X, it'll be drool worthy. Now if only Bandai could get around to giving us a MG XX.