DotM toyline: Mainline, or Cyberverse?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bountyan, Oct 2, 2011.

?

Main line vs Cyberverse

1. I have more fun collecting main line toys

45 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. I have more fun collecting cyberverse toys

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I happily collect both, I don't significantly prefer one over the other

30 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. I don't collect Dark of the Moon toys

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which do you guys have more fun collecting with the newer Dark of the Moon toyline: The main line toys (deluxes, voyagers, leaders) or the cyberverse legion and commanders, a long with the sets?

I personally collect the bigger toys, so they can be an addition to some of the ROTF toys I already bought, and I like the detail and complexity some of them contain.

But I find Cyberverse has an appeal to it: A lot of characters are already done that the main line may not get (such as Hatchet and Crowbar). And they bring back base play sets like trailers and battle stations. Plus they're simple so you can quickly transform them back and forth and quickly make different scenes. Being cheaper and taking up less room among the other lines I care a bit more about (like Animated, Classics, and maybe Prime) is also a bonus for me.

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I WANTED to like Cyberverse (I was BIG into TFs during the Micromaster era, and the play pattern still resonates with me), but I just could NOT get myself excited for the actual products (that may change with transition to Prime, which is more "classical" in design than movie).

I still skew towards the larger mainline stuff. For my "play patterns" as an adult, my financial situation, and my views on the line overall, the mainline fits with my needs better.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of the legends class at all (though I have tossed around the idea of collecting them to use as chess pieces), so mainline for me.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Main Line,though I do have Hatchet and Guzzle

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hard to say. With how slow releases are I can't say I'm having fun collecting either, but when I was able to actually go out and by new toys I had fun collecting both.

6. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mostly collect the mainline toys, like I always have. In the past, tiny little things like Legends never really caught my interest.

However, my brother got Commander Sentinel a while ago, and he's a lot of fun. And I wouldn't mind getting the Optimus and Megatron play-sets, the ones that come with their trailers, and Guzzle too. I'm also hoping to get the Ark at some point too. At least after I get all the mainline stuff I want, that is.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I like the mainline. Have only purchased two Cyberverse figures, Guzzle and Hatchet. Hatchet because they have not made a larger version, and Guzzle because he was $3+ tax with the coupon (not that I regret the purchase). The only smaller figures I collect are Classic Legends figures.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    As a movie line fan who loves in intricate molds, it took a bit to adjust to the DOTM Mech Tech mainline.

However, soon you'll discover the mainline stuff shines on its own merits.
    Sure, Cyberverse looks cute, but the DOTM deluxes & voyagers outshine their
    seemingly shortcomings.

In short ; no, I don't think Cyberverse is going to be a substitute for mainline DOTM for you.

9. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Mainline, cyberverse is to small and not detailed enough

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Cyberverse has been my focus this time around. Legends Devastator really got me into the small scale stuff, and the nice range of characters and accessories keeps me there.
    Plus, it's far easier to come up with fun little set-ups (like using Sentinel as a chair for Megatron) and they're cheaper (especially when Target is practically giving them away at times).

While I don't have anything against MechTech, it doesn't have much draw to me. I generally only buy Decepticons and DotM has relatively few new designs out. Got enough Barricades and Starscream, I havent' seen Megatron in stores, Soundwave isn't out yet, Crankcase has that whole clipped fingers fiasco, I'm not buying another Deluxe minion with a half-assed alt mode (Laserbeak), which leaves... Shockwave, who I bought.

11. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Main line.

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love both. I like more of the main line toys mores, but I don't get more joy in collecting the, per say.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I'd say both, but by money limitations I get more mainlines. Still if I could I'd get most of the cyberverse too since they are pretty cool. The playsets though don't do much for me, I mostly look at the commanders and legions.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Mainline. I have most of the Cyberverse toys too but I've gotten to the point I regret my Legends purchases. They just flat out don't stack up to the bigger toys IMO.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Although I have more mainline DOTM figs I chose both in your poll,since Cyberverse has so many unique figures such as powerglide,hatchet,flak,and guzzle you can't help but like those and how they are movie accurate even tho they weren't in the movie.

Also I like the main characters in figure form but with the slow pace that new stuff coming out I don't mind spending money on cyberverse and such to fill my collection out a little more,so its a win win for both I think.

16. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I'm just not a fan of the Legends class in general. If I was stilla kid I would have sure mixed it in with my Matchbox/ Hot Wheels toys (both I loved fondly.) But as an adult: the size, lack of detail and articulation, is a turn off to me.

17. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I chose cyberverse because I'm enjoying those more and constantly on the hunt to pick up more. I have dotm mainline but a lot of the deluxe figures are just meh for me.

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Essentially mainline only for me. With the exception of some Commanders (Powerglide, Hatchet, Guzzle), I don't have any interest in the Cyberverse line and I've never been all that fond of the Legends/Legion size class.

19. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Both, although I've been closer to a completist with Cyberverse than mainline with DOTM.

20. nonexistent

nonexistent Well-Known Member

Cyberverse this time, for having a nice range of little movie figures to display on your desk. Also the commanders attracted me to collect this line. I don't play with them, mainly leave them in bot mode. I collect them because of the movie and you do get a nice complete cast of movie characters, including legends devastator. And voyager demolishor fits with these scale as well. But the main line do offer more detail, complexity and screen accurate. I have always wished to get rotf leader prime. I have now even gone back searching for previous legends figures to complete the movie casts and increase my decepticon numbers.