Minor/Repaint: DOTM Ironhide Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Zigholtul, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paints Used:
    - Argent Silver Acrylic
    - Black Gloss Acrylic
    - Blue Gloss Acrylic
    - Gold Metallic Acrylic
    - Gray (mix of black gloss and white gloss)
    - Metallic Copper (mix of orange gloss, gold metallic and silver metallic)
    - Orange Gloss Acrylic
    - Red Gloss Acrylic
    - Sky Blue (mix of 3/4 white gloss and a tiny amount of blue gloss)

I know I already did this figure before but I wanted to put out a better version because not only was the paint work lacking on my original but it ended up breaking at the arms so like I had much of a choice anyway. I really put a lot of effort into this custom this time around, heck I even painted up the gun, which is still not a very good weapon. I've been debating with myself on whether I was now ready to start selling off some customs to make room. I think I'm now at the point where I can actually call myself a decent painter. If I do start selling then I can promise you that the prices will be affordable, none of this having to spend over $100 on a single figure, unless that would happen to be any of my Shattered Glass customs. Good luck trying to pry any of those off of my hands considering how much I love them.

Vehicle Mode:
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 01 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 02 by zigholtul88, on Flickr

Robot Mode:
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 03 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 04 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 05 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DOTM Voyager Ironhide V2 06 by zigholtul88, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not bad man, but I think you should've gone for a full repaint here. This is an easy figure to paint up because he's mainly all black (any black spray paint would do whether glossy or flat), and then it's just a matter of dry brushing over the black painted robotic parts with your metal colors. I'd say do a 3rd version and go full repaint this time :D 

3. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's just it, I did completely repaint this figure with the exception of the non-rimmed portion of the wheels. It just doesn't show that well because well I'm still using the exact same camera I've been using since I first started painted and it doesn't look like I've done much even though I've spent several days on this custom. The Bayformers Ironhide may have a cool unique design but it mostly consists of a lot of black and some silver. Not the most vibrant Autobot when compared to the others like Optimus and Bumblebee. Heck I think the G1 redeco I did a few years back seemed to pop more because I didn't have to completely stick with the cg model, hence why I was able to get a bit more creative.

Mate I am glad for the criticism and chances are I could make this custom better but I just don't know what else I can do. Not every work I put out will be a home run. I'm like that show the Walking Dead. Most of the time I've rather average but once in a while I will put out a custom that completely blows everyone away, whether its my Beast Hunters customs or every time I've used the Shattered Glass Thundercracker color scheme on a particular Seeker mold.

4. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    nice job

5. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Nice work.

6. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    It looks good man, just didn't realize you painted the truck parts (so that should tell you, you did a good job :) )

I think you just need a light box or photo tent so you can produce better pics. That would really help show your customs more accurately. I can help with that if you need.

7. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're able to help me out then I'll be most grateful. I know that the outdoor shots have basically become a signature stable of my customs but I think its about time I start trying to actually show a little more of a professional effort in my picture quality. I never could figure out how to exactly set up either a photo tent or light box. I'm hoping it won't be too terribly expensive and that I actually have the room needed seeing as my house is practically a cluttered mess. I've been meaning to throw a yard sale for so many years now but of course my mother still holds on to the notion that Ebay is a better alternative.

Yes I still live at home. If that offends anyone here then too bad. Not only are jobs here rather scarce but I also have to contend with the fact that I suffer from several mental illnesses which makes it difficult to converse with others in real life. I know its the American tradition where moving out at 18 is tantamount but honestly I'm not like everyone else and I never will be.

8. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

I dont think all figures need a full repaint. This guy looks to have all he needs to be hugely improved IMO.
    For my own personal figures this is the kind of thing I do all the time so I think its great!
    I also have always thought your outside pictures look great. Very clear and in no way deceiving. No heavy shadows, photoshop, or filters, just the bare facts of what ya did and the work always speaks for itself.

9. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right, some figures don't need a full repaint. Certain ones like Whirl, Grimwing, and Waspinator are pretty damn good in their default colors. But I do tend to have more fun just completely repainting a figure.

Mate you're the first person I've seen that hasn't complained about the outdoor shots and its rather refreshing. I've been taking pictures like this since 2011 and its practically become a signature stable of mine. Besides I have seen some pretty amazing outdoor pics on Deviantart. From lush meadows to vast plains and dare I say some of them feature some gorgeous models which makes me appreciate life more. Not everything needs to be shot inside a light box.

10. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    Great, looks good outside.

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Nothing at all against your own photo style SoN. Your particular painting style looks awesome with the dark backgrounds. I just don't feel everyone should switch to that, or even light boxes as long as the pics are nice and clear.
    I know the dark nothingness background centers attention on the figure and has a more "professional" look, but a lot of people hopped on that professional black BG look train some years back and I never saw it as necessary, especially if someone isn't trying to sell their work.
    Doesn't mean you advice on light boxes wasn't sound! :) 

12. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    You make a good point U9 and I agree with you. I remember when I started out and tried to figure out the black background thing and I've noticed that quite a few other painters have asked about it and so I just figured I'd mention it here but in this case it's not what he's looking for. I respect that and you're right his pics are very clear as they are.